Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A special thankyou from 30 years ago

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by raven, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I'd like to say a very heart-felt and public "thank you" to several unknown good samaritans from an event that took place nearly 30yrs ago. It's something that I could'nt do at the time, so I hope that this helps to make up for it.

To set the scene - It is teaming winter rain on a very dark night. Mont Albert Road, Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne. Coming home from work, can hardly see for road spray and visor flare on the rain drops. About 75-80ks, I'm ahead of the traffic and in the clear, cruising, when out of the night I catch a reflection off glass against the backdrop of the headlights from the oncoming traffic. There was simply no time for anything except the scant, fleeting thought, that it is too late.....as I slammed headlong into the side of a black car.

Anyways...lying there on my back on the road, completely numb and assuming life as I new it was gone, I heard the voice of girl, and felt someone cradleing my neck with a pillow. My visor was red with blood spray and I needed to see out - it felt like a coffin. But when I reached for the visor, my arms were useless...I yelled out as I felt like I was suffocating in there, when suddenly I felt the rain on my face, and looked up to see that girl, as she sorta leaned in over the top of me to keep the rain out of my eyes. I could see that she was in a very nice business suit, but was completely drenched, sitting there on the wet roadway in her skirt, in the pouring rain, her mascara running down her cheeks, with my head in her lap...all the while soothing my mind with caring words and reassurances that the ambulance was on it way.
    I let it all go, and just gave in to it.

After a while the ambo's arrived and they started to attend to me carefully - afraid to move me etc, and while all that was going on, I suddenly and very sadly realized that the girl was gone...She had been my lifeline.

[jump forward a 1/2 hr or so?]

I later kept asking what had happened to my bike, when a fellow who was obviously a M/cycle rider came over and said to me - not to worry, it's in pretty bad shape, but a few of us have bent the bars out, replaced the clutch and brake levers etc, and got it running, good enough to get you home, we think..
    I looked over and saw 3-4 riders who had stopped when they saw the accident site, caught by the car lights all doing this and that to try and make my bike rideable for me.
    Such willingness to help a fallen rider.

To cut it short, I rode that severely smashed up bike home, with three guys riding ahead to cover for me coz I did'nt have any lights. They coralled me the few miles home and just continued on when I turned into my street, as they knew I could make it from there.

[I still don't fully understand why I was killed there and then, except to say that I believe my full length leathers might have saved me that night - acting as they did, like some kind of "exoskeleton" or something, and saving my bones from breaking. Along with a few miliimeters of good luck here and there that made all the difference to survival or not.]
    Not to mention the 3 months in bed..:)

So...to the unkown girl who nursed me in the rain on that cold winters night, and to the 3-4 fellows that got my bike running enough to get home, and then stuck with me to make sure I made it home, my debt of gratitude could not be greater.

To each of those people I might be a small footnote in their lives, yet they became a major landmark in mine.
    To each of them I say "Thank You", and if you are listening, I am doing my best to pass on to others, what was given to me, that night.

2. What a great story John.

Even if your unknown benefactors never get to read this, they have had years of satisfaction in knowing that they helped you. Doing good is its own reward.....
  3. Very touching. I hope they do read this, it would be a shame if they didn't know how gratefull you are. although i am sure they do.
  4. Fantastic story, really outlines the basic priciple of altruism - helping people purely for the sake of it, without any regard for reward. Hope those that helped you went on to lead good lives and I'm glad you made it through the incident.
  5. Yeah Paul.
    The guys at least got an appreciative wave from me when we parted company, but the girl just disappeared into the background of the crowd that had gathered without even a word of thanks. I have always deeply regetted that, even though it was not really possible at the time.
  6. Yeah, I had a more than lucky escape, and as you said, it would be nice if their lives went on to be good and happy lives. :)
  7. Sounds very similar to when I got hit by a car in Glenferry Rd Hawthorn on 5/11/97. I broke my leg and wrote the bike off and a number of people stayed with me until the ambulance arrived. It was around 5:00 pm so i am sure all those people had somewhere else they wanted to be. Instead they sat with me, called my parents to let them know i wouldn't be home any time soon , etc, etc.

Your spot on John, Those people probably never think of the accident or how they helped me, But I will never forget or stop appreciating the help they gave.
  8. John, That is a mood changing story.
    Restores one's faith in human nature.
  9. Just the sort of thing you should send in to AMCN - but even then i guess the chances of your business atire'd angel reading it are slim to none.
  10. John, that beautiful woman in the business suit....

That was me.

You SO owe me a beer.
  11. So... You couldn't move your arms immediately after the crash?

...and you rode the bike home later that night :LOL: ?
  12. LOL...ok..I'll buy ya one for lunch tomorrow if you are still coming on the ride with Pete. Howzat!? :)
  13. brillant , you should send that into the sun herald to print .
  14. Why 30yrs before saying thanks etc?
  15. Actually, I did'nt say I could'nt use them...I said they were useless. :)
    My spine took a hammering (found out later)...After about 40 mins they were starting to come back to something like normal, as the nerves in my shoulders that got twanged in the impact began to settle down. It was just really bloody sore when I rode home, but I was'nt hanging on too well anyway, with a bruised heart, and other internal organs all shook up.
  16. Good question...back in those days, there was'nt the means of communications that exist now. Just the newspapers really, and by the time it started to bother me, I figured that it was probably too late. ( afew years went by)
    The last 10 years or so, it has really bothered me, but I've been in the USA nearly all that time. Came home to Oz just last year.
    I happen to go past the site of the accident last week-end, and it got on my mind again..
    Tonight it occured to me that I could at least make somewhat of a public thank you here on the forum.
  17. oic..

good gesture, & well told :wink:
  18. A great story .. thanks for sharing with us :)