Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW A snapshot of an intersection

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Aug 7, 2014.

1. I often get into trouble here by suggesting that riders often contribute to the events that they later complain about as near-misses, or which even result in accidents or damage. I also don't always subscribe to the mantra that ALL drivers are homicidal maniacs just because they are not on a bike; I ride and drive and I don't think my personality changes depending on how many wheels are under me. But....
    Out riding yesterday afternoon I pulled up at a red light on the intersection of Terry Street and Tongarra Road in Albion Park. Many of you will know this intersection; Tongarra Road actually becomes the Illawarra Highway at this point, and heads west to the Macquarie Pass. Terry Street leads south from this intersection to the Jamberoo Road.
    I had just ridden to Kiama via Jamberoo and was heading north, in the right hand lane preparing to turn right and head east to home.
    As I pulled down to the red light, a tradie van in front of me drove straight through the red light and continued north. He had plenty of yellow light to stop on, and he would have caused no hazard to anyone if he had stopped. But he drove straight through the red. A car travelling at the same speed in the lane next to him managed to stop easily before the light turned red.
    Then I observed three vehicles in line astern, turning out of Tongarra Road and heading south along Terry Street, ie, in the opposite direction to my direction of travel.
    The first was a woman in a Nissan Maxima, she had a child in a baby seat in the back, but she, the driver , was not wearing her seat belt.
    Behind her was another tradie, he was on the mobile phone.
    Behind him was a near-new Range Rover, its driver was likewise on the mobile.
    It's a jungle out there, and despite advertising campaigns and heavy fines and points penalties, the monkeys are getting stupider and stupider.......

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. ...and you are still cheerful?

3. Perhaps I should change it to "Resigned"???

4. Cheerful that none of them managed to clean him up maybe? ;)

5. Aye, I know that feeling.

6. "thankful" might be better. Thankful that what was going on was going on in front of me and across in the other lane, separated by a concrete strip, and that I was stopped.....
    But, seriously, this is in a country town setting, I just shake my head at what the cities must be like these days....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. When I fist got my license last century, the father of one my mates told me to 'treat every other driver/rider n the road as a drunk and I should be OK'. Apart from two serious car accidents where I should have died I've been OK. Mind you those two accidents were caused by drunks!

8. You should have paid more attention to your mate's old man......... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I don't think that all drivers are homicidal maniacs, but you should treat each of them as if they were.

The driver through the red lends weight to the filter to the front and when the lights change go hard. Always could be that latecomer from the other way to keep an eye out for. In terms of the NSW people how is filtering going? How are you finding drivers response to it?

10. Funny you should ask that Chris, i had a chat with a mate of mine at work yesterday who also rides about this topic. We both filtered daily before the law came in. It's a good feeling knowing you can do it legally, especially past the HWP in traffic ;)

We both agreed it 'feels' as though more drivers are making an effort. It seems more pull to the side to give you room, even if they're at a standstill. Maybe they're just the more aware ones who would have done it anyway, who knows, but they still get a 'thanks mate' wave.

A couple of idiots trying to block - but they'd have been idiots anyway.

A resounding thumbs up from me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I have not seen a red light runner in many years in Perth, or home in Geraldton. Maybe it is the times I am on the road, or maybe it is a cultural issue in a couple of cities only? I wonder what others experiences are in the big cities?

12. Snapshots of another intersection taken yesterday.

Rider was at the lights and rammed from behind by police. The rider was taken to hospital.

cop-moto-5-1.

cop-moto-2-1.

cop-moto-3-1.

cop-moto-4-1.

cop-moto-1.

Justus.

13. Copper was probably on the phone ordering cup cakes for morning tea.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. But it's ok, they are allowed to be on the phone......

15. Off-duty too :)

104-1.

Justus.