Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A small electronics job if someone can help

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Jul 24, 2010.

1. As most of you would know, the weak point of most laptop computers is where the power cord attaches to the computer. The socket into which the cord plugs is soldered (barely) to the motherboard, and when it breaks off, there is no fix except to replace the motherboard. With the cost of laptops today, that's simply bad economics.

I have such a device with me at the moment; it's an ACER Travelmate 6592 http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-TravelMate-6592.6633.0.html

and it belongs to the NSW DET.

I heard of a man in Wollongong, (talked to him once, actually, but now lost his name and number :() who solders two wires to the motherboard and brings them out through the power socket aperture, and attaches them to an external socket. The power connector plugs into the socket, and no further stress is placed on the motherboard. so....

I took it to a local computer shop, who understood the concept well, "yeah. mate, easy, I'll order in the bits and it shouldn't cost much at all". After waiting two weeks I rang him last night to have him say 'we can't do it, mate, it's an OH&S hazard' :evil:

So, OH&S or not, I want it done. I'm a big boy who works on computers and electrical stuff all the time; I think I can handle the risk of occasionally plugging in a power cord to a laptop.

The DET will re-imburse me the for the costs, including postage to you. I just want it fixed; the rest of the machine is fine, but I can't use it.

Reply or message me, I can give you my number and we can talk. I would prefer if it dodn't have to go to Horsham or Broome, somewhere reasonably local would be best, but either way.....
  2. why not just take the hard drive and transplant it -- are you trying to resurrect it just for the data
  3. nope, I want to retain the machine because every computer in the classroom counts, and as I said, everything else about the computer is fine.....
  4. aight
    it'll be cheaper Paul to take it down to the local TAFE and get someone who is studying Electrical Engineering(Computer systems) To Solder the wires your talking about to the existing adapter.

As a matter of fact for $20 odd you can do it your self. Be sure to correctly and tightly wrap it in good quality electrical tape. I'd do it for you but A.) I'm in VIC, and b.) I haven't got the time.
  5. Lap top cock wont help if the wires have been pulled out of the motherboard.

I'd give it a go except I dont have a soldering iron or any solder. If you can supply those hornet, i'd be willing to poke my nose around and have a look.
  6. I have both. PM me for my phone number, please :).
  7. Your mind in the bachelor thread Lilley?

I'd do it but I'm in Melbourne. Sounds too easy.
  8. I can do it if you want to send it to Melb Paul... If you run out of local options.
  9. The dock's, depending on the machine, provide power from the universal connection port in the base of the laptop. They generally do not supply power through the system plug.
  10. I'd ask the first place you took it how 18V DC can be an OH & S issue when you regularly plug 230V AC into it each time you use it:shock:
  11. I'm well aware that they promised something they had neither the expertise nor the intention of carrying out, as I will point out to them when I pick it up.....
  12. Looks like electricians are bred in Melbourne.
  13. Shame you're not in Melbourne. You could take it to one of the swap meets tomorrow and probably get it done on the spot for a small fee.

You can say that again 8-[
  14. If you don't mind shipping it to Tasmania, I know somebody who can do it no problem. He once soldered a keyboard (one of those early ones where each key was individually soldered to two wires) and has just built his own wind power regulator.