Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Small Cruiser Style

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by polly007, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hi Guys.

I have had some discussion in the New Rider part but then saw this section on cruisers and though you guys might be able to give me some advice as you ride these types of bikes.

I am a female, not very tall and have been riding a scoot for 16 months. I would like a manual bike but I have found that I dont like the seating position and often they are too high for wee me.

I like the cruiser style because of the low seat and feeling more stable because I am closer to the ground.

My first choice was a Hyosung 250, but I still find the seat a little high.

Then I saw thiS;

http://www.laro.com.au/prostreet350.php

and did some research and found they are OK.

Anyway, I will be a beginner manual rider and was wondering if in your collective experinces if the specs on this bike would suit a learner. The length & big front wheel worry me a bit.

I will only be ridden round the suburbs & maybe to work, about 8 km away.

Thanks guys, any help would be fantastic.

2. Have you considered a Yamaha Virago; very low seat, 685mm and a very light bike 147kg or a Suzuki Intruder, also 685mm seat height.

3. The length and big wheels will give you a lot of stability, as soon as you're moving. ;)
    The manual is something I don't even think of to be honest. If you can handle the mental gymnastics of driving a mental car and are reasonably confident on your scoot, you should be able to progress to a manual bike without too much difficulty.
    At the end of the day, a test ride is what you need. :)

4. Mental cars certainly do require a lot of mental effort to drive: you've got to concentrate on holding them in (ideational) existence, let alone worrying about changing the gears (which can number infinity, if you so choose).

And then there's the sudden mood swings....

5. :facepalm: ](*,)

6. #6 polly007, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks Mountaineer.

Hope the bike does curves OK. But you are right I need at least to sit on it and I will when its finally in the retailers.

Here is a Youtube of the exact bike in the US, undera different name:

[media=youtube]8Vjk1kvC1JQ[/media]

7. That's a good looking bike for what it is (ie small displacement) :)
    You might also want to have a look at the hunter spyder.
    But, as others have said: can't go wrong with a Virago.

8. You are right, I should have a look at and the cost of the Intruder, VStar & Virago. The though of buying new, though is appealing, but the known brands might be out of my league.

These Japanese small cruisers would have enough power for round town ? You see my scooter had 14hp and I found it OK but could have used a touch more power.

9. I started on a Virago and power was never a problem.
    I'd chase sports bikes through the hills and do an indicated 130 down the highway all day long.
    That's not to say it liked it, just that's what you can get if you are willing to push it.

10. The best way is to go and sit on one, Then you know how you sit on it,
    Cheers,

11. Polly, I don't even stand 5' tall ... I bought myself an XVS650 and had the dealer lower it for me. I can sit on the bike and plant two feet firmly on the ground. Plus, getting a 650, I'm assuming that the bike will be powerful enough for me not to get bored before my LAMS restrictions will expire!!!

12. Hi Snowie and thanks for the info, very useful to know.

I think 650 would be much to powerful for me, I would be a bit scared really.

250-300 would be what would be best for me and what I want the bike for. Suburban riding nothing else so yeah a good 250 with more power than my scooter is what I am after.

So far, as far as looks, I prefer the Hyosung over the GStar, Intruder or Virago. I notice on Bikepoint the 250's which I have read are reasonably powerful are not that expensive.

13. Polly, don't let the fact that it's a 650 put you off! I went from taking a HART learners course to my 650 and because it's a cruiser, it just doesn't have the power that you would expect from a sports 650. If I can cope with the power, I'm sure you can too, especially since you've had some experience on a scooter. Go into a Yammie dealer and have a sit on a lowered version (if you're in Melb, I went into Yamaha City in Elizabeth St to have a feel of sitting on the bike ... the demo model was already lowered and it felt comfortable ... I really wanted a bike that I could touch the ground with both feet flat .. it just made me feel comfortable and confident). My hubby, of over 40 years bike riding experience assured me that the bike wouldn't be more than I could handle and he was right. I absolutely understand how you feel, because I was really hesitant about the power aspect too, but I can assure you that it really wasn't a problem. Just try it before you make your mind up ... my reasoning was that I didn't want to sit on a restricted licence for (at least) 15 months and then find the bike wasn't powerful enough for what I wanted it to do once I got a bit of experience. But, please, let me tell you, that even as a brand new learner with no bike riding experience, the XVS650 never felt like it was more power than I could cope with.

14. Thanks Snowie, for all the info & encouragement. At this point my budget in a few months will probably stretch to a secondhand Hyo GV250.

Interested that you did the learners course on your bike, can you do that ? Or am I confused with prelearners ?

Btw, saw some images of your cruiser, it looks very nice, congrats.

15. I didn't do the HART course on my bike (it was the pre learners course, sorry that I didn't make that clear). HART don't let you do their courses on your own bike (I did ask them when I was doing the pre learners whether I could take the licence test on my own bike but they said no), but the XVS650 was the first bike I rode after that.

Good luck in search for a bike :)

16. another option which is a 'known' brand, and hence better resale is the Kawaski Eliminator (VN250). they are renowned as the biggest and best of the mini cruisers. plenty of power from the lights, and only really struggles accelerating up hills.

i am biased of course, but i tried a honda vtr250 (custom), yammie virago, suzuki intruder and the hyosung 250 and 650 versions of their cruiser range.

eliminator is a stunning looking bike, reliable, and easy to ride for a beginner.

17. Laro looks like anice cheap bike and has some good reviews. Hunter also has similar machines. We don't have them up here in Townsville but have a look at Cycletorque online for reviews of the cheaper, smaller cruisers that seem to appeal to you :)

18. I have a V Star 250, I'm 5ft 6in and 76 kg. No problem with power with city commuting. Nice low seat and easy to ride and handle. Gets blown around a bit when windy as expected for a smaller bike. I'm happy with it for city use.

19. Had look at a Honda VT 400, out of my price range, 2nd hand. Read some not great revies. The thing was so heavy, 230kg I think.

20. + 1 to Snowie .... she rides it well :)