Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

a romantic weekend in melbourne

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by transit, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Hey all, can anyone recommend some good bars and restaurants in Melbourne? I've got my girlfriend coming down for the weekend and want to show her some of the cool stuff to see and do in this great city.

On Saturday night I was thinking of taking her to a nice restaurant and then going out to some cool bars afterwards. A mate suggested the Long Bar and Croft Institute in the city.

Any restaurants that people can recommend for a romantic dinner? Is the tram restaurant any good or should i head into the city somewhere?

She's down for the whole weekend so i want to show off the city to her as she's never been here before. I was thinking maybe a helicopter ride over the city and maybe a day drive somewhere. Maybe also take her to the top of the Rialto, visit the Vic market, St Kilda, Brunswick St etc.

Any other ideas that would impress and woo her?
  2. How much do you want to spend? There is a guy that supplies wine and food in his gondela (sp) as he takes you on a one hour journey on the Yarra. I think that was a couple of hundred. Otherwise the tram looks pretty good.
  3. http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/info.cfm?top=259&pg=2177&ms=1&li=81 good place to start. Check the links at the bottom of the page.

Believe me, you won't go far wrong no matter where you go. My GF (who is an ex-chef) and I often head to Lygon St where there's heaps of food and dining to choose from. Plenty of restaurants in the city for a romantic meal apart from Lygon St as well. Enjoy your stay :)
  4. The tram restaurant is great, usually you have to book weeks ahead though. Lygon Street has some great restaurants if you like italian, La Spaghettata is a personal favourite, great food, great atmosphere and service and reasonably priced.
  5. You could always start the weekend off on Friday by going Here ;)
  6. The Supper Club is a great spot if you're into a fantastic glass (or three!) of quality wine. I'm not sure if they take bookings, though.

(I would be very happy to be taken there as part of a romantic night out :wink: ) Here's hoping he reads this thread!
  7. Hot Air Balloon ride will score you LOADS of Bonus Pointsâ„¢ with the GF.

I did it for an ex's B'day and it was hella successful.

Highly recommend it... it's fun too!
  8. Im not a vegetarian and usually cant stand the taste of vego food but there's an absolutely beautiful vego restaurant called "Soul Mama's" @ the St Kilda Sea Baths... Its almost my fav place!

The actual place is beautiful and that also do some great drinks...
    If you eat outside, you're pretty much ON the beach and its stunning...

You may want to book as it gets extremely busy!
    (and it not expensive either!)

Have fun mate!
  9. As with donovans....first link I posted :)
  10. +1, love this place. Also love the dinner in a gondola idea! If you want to go cheaper have a look at the moonlight cinemas and prepare a champagne picnic.
    Have a great weekend! Lucky girl
  11. so, the obvious questions - does she ride? will she pillion? what about combining a ride and market by taking her out to St Andrew's market on Saturday - from there up Kinglake, down through Telangi (sp?), Chump Ck Rd etc etc.

I'm with others on Donovan's and Soul Mama's. Haven't been to Supper Club but heard good things. Don't forget to give her time to shop if you're visiting St Kilda and Brunswick St.

And of course, you couldn't impress her more than by bringing her along to Friday or Saturday night NR coffee :) ( :oops: oops - just realised flipper beat me to it - great minds think alike :grin: )
  12. nostro baretto, it's behind the GPO in the ally. alwsome food after a few years in hospitality this place still supprise me.. a bit pricy though

and for drinks afterwards madam brussels is really nice if the weather is fine.. roof top bar