Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Quote I Liked...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by thetrumpetplayer, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I had a bike delivered to me from Melbourne to Sydney on a truck recently, and the delivery guy was an old rider from way back, a real track-pig if you like.

While discussing bikes and what not, he said:

"Riders getting all concerned about the number of cc's is about as useful as a photographer getting all concerned about the megapixels, it's really quite meaningless"

He then went on to regale me of stories of seeing guys on 250's absolutely thrashing 800cc+ bikes out on the track. "CC's and engine size mean nothing if you can't ride the damn thing" (42 megapixels means nothing if you don't know how to take a photo)...

It made me also concern for the number of younger riders out there who are itching to get the latest litre bike to thrash around, or are obsessed with carbon parts to bring the weight down. Sure those things help at a certain skill, but there needs to be way more emphasis on the ride, not on the bike...

Safe riding everyone and have a great week!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Couldn't agree more. Although these days I am very comfortable on a big bore sports /tourer, when I am trailriding I enjoy myself more and have more fun on my trusty TT250. A lot of the young blokes I ride with have mega dollar 450's etc, but I find I can keep up pretty well with most of them. They only get away on the straights, but in the twisties I'm all over them!! lol And they're all pretty knackered from trying to hang on, whereas I survive ok!!!
  3. Cool story.
  4. Those on the 250cc bikes could be veterans and those on the 800 may be just learning the ropes.