Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A quick yes or no ? Firestorm Vs SP2

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by doonx, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was told that the Firestorm and the SP2 have the same engine, but that the SP2 is fuel injected and the Firestorm is not.

Is this true ?

Ta
    D

2. The SP2 has had its donk built by HRC.

They are slightly different

3. Thinking of simplifying your life by getting rid of 2 cylinders, eh Pete? :LOL:

4. From what I've read... no.

Apparently they only have 2-3 parts that are identical (ie. same part numbers)

5. no - it's the topic of a totally separate discussion elsewhere. The VFR is way too nice a bike to consider parting with :grin:

6. sp2 is to firestorm as rc30 is to vfr750.

Very few parts that are common.

7. SP2 is noice, yes

8. out of interest, what is the range for the SP2?

9. I was going to buy a SP2 till i rode my storm. Then flogged one around the island on my storm :LOL: :LOL:

10. :shock: ... PNUT, I think you were just told you don't know how to ride... :rofl:

11. oh ohhh PNUT is so :eek:wned:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

12. ...riiiiight... misinterpretation is a biatch isn't it bugs... :LOL: crackup.

laught16.

13. On the topic at hand, I'll defer to what the others have said about the engine...

Both bikes have staunch supporters.

The specs show that the SP2 is a higher performance bike, but Bugs is right, the SP2 is a thirsty little bugger.

14. Listen here you bunch of pelicans, I am NOT in the market for a new/different bike in the slightest.

My question was solely based in exactly and only what I asked, which was specifically about the engine, not about the rest of the bike.

It is simply a discussion that came up with people totally and uttely outside of Netrider, and I didn't want to speak uninformed.

So, from what I can decipher about my question, would I be correct in saying that the engine of the Fire Storm and the engine of the SP2 bare very little resemblence to one another ?

Yes or No ?

Thank you, normal programming may now resume .......

15. 2006 SP2

Power: 132.76 HP (96.9 kW)) @ 10000 RPM
    Torque: 102.00 Nm (10.4 kgf-m or 75.2 ft.lbs) @ 8000 RPM

2006 VTR Firestorm

Power: 104.59 HP (76.3 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
    Torque: 93.00 Nm (9.5 kgf-m or 68.6 ft.lbs) @ 7000 RPM

Source = www.bikez.com

16. Nice figures there Toecutter.

Doonx you are correct about the engines having very little in common with each other. While they are both 1 litre DOHC 90 degree v-twins, the SP-2 motor has a different bore and stroke, crankcases, heads, cams etc...

You can see by Toecutters figures, this different engine architecture allows the SP-2 motor to spin up harder and faster.

The SP-2 also runs fuel injection which allows slightly better fuel economy than the Storm. This is also compounded by the massivly inefficient, yet awesomely cool :LOL: 48 mm carbies on the Storm (You can loose tennis balls down them...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.