Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A quick note on intrusive ABS systems in cars

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ljiljan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. I borrowed a friends car for a quick spin a week ago and one thing that shocked me was how terrible the ABS was. It was a middle age focus (for me cars don't really start getting old until they pass 15-20 years old and there is more rust then metal left) and a few quick brake checks told me that the abs comes on well before the car even gets close to locking up. For those out there with their who flash around their engineering degree, this was a car abs system that certainly did not activate after 20% slip or whatever the hell you think it is.

2. Sounds like there was something wrong with it. I drove an early ABS equipped Ford Granada 25 years ago and the ABS was better than that.
  3. ABS ain't ABS.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Quite possibly. If I had to put a number on it, I would say it started coming on at 70-80% breaking capacity.
  5. Based on my unscientific testing at a L2 defensive drivers course, the ABS in my VW Jetta does not start interfering until the wheel actually locks. The EBD does come on much earlier but will release if you back off a bit.

This was discovered while we were practising threshold braking on a wet course.

I suppose there is cheap ABS and expensive ABS and probably a significant difference between them.
  6. what were ther road conditions like? I've owned both models of focus and to get the ABS activated on dry roads with good tyres you have to brake so hard your bum comes off the seat.

If the tyres are worn and the road slippery obviously tyres loose traction much earlier and could activate the ABS earlier than you'd expect.
  7. Not all ABS systems are created equal and the Ford focus is not the kind of car that is going to attract premium, state of the art equipment either.
  8. Exactly. Now translate that to motorbikes and the fact that all >125cc bikes will have to have ABS if the EU proposals get up... how much ABS can a cheap 125cc bike have?
  9. Drizabone, can't comment on the tyres. More than likely to be a cheaper model and don't know about their condition.

I'd be wiping your seat down with a petrol soaked rag mate, or taping down some velcro. I tend to brake rather hard to keep myself in practise, can get to point of tyre grip without breaking a sweat when a moment comes. Car's really don't stop that fast. Maybe I've learnt to hold on.
  10. All the MZ125s I've ridden have managed it. Well, I've been able to get the lever back to the bars without anything locking, or indeed slowing appreciably, in the wet anyway :twisted:.
  11. It's a Ford. There's your problem strait away.
    I have an FGXR6T and the bloody TCS is way worse than the ABS. I have gone through quite a few half shafts because of the bloody traction control. Drive line says yes lets go and the rear brakes say no. Bang.
    In the wet I have to turn it off or the car wont go anywhere. Bloody useless if you mod your car.
    Soon we will all be the most useless riders and drivers. The cars and bikes will be built for idiots. And idiot proof. Where the F is the fun in that ?????????
  12. If your on a bike and see a VE approaching GTFO!!! Most useless ABS/eps system ever.
    A mate was driving at 10-15kms and could not stop the car in time to hit someone 6meters in front... ABS kicked in and did not slow the car at all... The pannel shop had another 5 VE's in for the same reason.

My car is amazing. ABS won't hassle you unless ebraking in the wet.
  13. I have a 2010 VE commodore... I've deliberately braked to have the ABS go off in the dry and it wasn't quite the eye ball popping decelleration I was hoping for. It leaves the car very manouevreable under brakes though.
  14. 483?

I'm all for ABS in general, I am, for the most part, against manadatory ABS.

If it were me buying a 125 bike, i'd opt to not have it, the bike that is.

Having and living with a bike with ABS has been interesting actually, but then, it is always interesting to actually go out and test out theories properly.

If all ABS was to the standard it is on my bike (and it's not a particually high standard) then I'd say, for a majority of riders when something goes belly up it is going to be a good thing to have.
  15. I have a Ford EL 96 model...I brake hard and only had ABS kick in twice...both in wet conditions and when it was needed. Haven't had any issues with it at all...tyres play a crucial role though, crappy tyres and ABS will have a spaz attack.
  16. In a similar vein, anyone got any factual (or well reasoned speculative) info on how mismatched tyres (as in brand and condition rather than size or type) might affect ABS response? Not that it's that relevant to most bikes as the majority have independent braking to each wheel, though it might have a bearing on the increasingly common linked systems.
  17. #17 wokwon, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Depends on how many channels the ABS has. cheap ones tend to link the rear wheels but are independant on the front, others have a full 4 channels and are unaffected by tyre variations.
  18. I got 6 pot Brembo's on the front of mine. 4 pots on the rear. I can fark with the ABS anytime I wanna. lol
  19. Lol that's positive thinking. At least you're aware of it. I have a feeling most people only find out how sensitive their abs is 2seconds before a crash...

I think he's bought brembos and tampered with the ecu to deactivate it.
  20. I dont see the problem with mandatory ABS provided it is designed and delivered to a standard operating/performance spec. I personally have not been in a car/bike that does as lilley described which is quite scary and if it were my own would return as faulty/unsafe.