Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A question for the ladies???

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Pink Angel, Aug 30, 2008.

1. A question for the girls.........

Just doing a little bit of research in female's motorcycle apparel. Whilst I know what I am looking for, I would really be interested in hearing what other girls think about motorcycle gear.

How do you feel when you go into a store to purchase motorcycle gear?

What do you look for in gear?

What do you think of the fitting and shape of the current female range?

What features would you like to see in ladies gear?

Any other ideas or suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance
  2. yeah that is a bit of a girlie question :LOL:
  3. Its much better than it used to be!

There are more women working in the shops that know about bikes and gear, and the guys are less weirded out when you know what your talking about.

The range is heaps better, when I first went to buy a jacket there was no female jackets availible, My first jacket was a small mens dryrider. (I felt like Mrs Michelin man!)

Some stores are getting in several styles and sizes too which is great. The gear thats available now is actually shaped for women and you still look like a female when you're all geared up. although I think some of them are a little too girly with all the pink bits and flowers, but thats just my personal taste.

I've also found that most of the sports jackets (leather) are a bit short in the body, and for someone thats a little taller, once you're leaning over on your bike you'll be giving everyone an eye full of thong or bum crack, which some may not mind, but the point is your skin isn't covered.

Anyway thats just how I 'feel', and if anyone has found a nice leather sports jacket thats a decent length let me know, thanks.
  4. I don't really like shopping for gear - I go mid-week, and generally get ignored at most stores... (girl in a car, can't actually want anything must be browsing, why bother? seems to be the attitude)

In gear I look for a good fit, quality of the materials, adjustments.

Most girls jackets don't fit me - either the arms are too short and its not broad enough across the shoulder, or the arms are right, but its way too big across the shoulders. If it does fit arms and shoulders, its not long enough in the waist/hip - I want to keep my back warm, even in Brisbane!

I'd like to see more womens gear that caters for those of us with classic taste - I don't want pink hibiscus and frangipanis on anything, I want plain black.

Hope that helps you out!
  5. Does my bum look big in this?
  6. How far is that from Sth Melbourne??????????????
  7. 1766ks (by car, using tolls) :wink:
  8. Yes.

Where can I get one?
  9. So popping in at lunchtime is not really an option!

Fancy a shop ONLY being open on Sat & Sun! What a lifestyle option that is!
  10. Where I work, we are open all day Sat 9.00 to 5.00 and our ladies range of jackets is larger than our mens range!
  11. Catering to the larger ladies I presume. :grin:
  12. How do you feel when you go into a store to purchase motorcycle gear?

This really depends on which store. There is a particular store that shall remain nameless :mad: where I will often go in to try gear on/ see what's available. Then I will take my money elsewhere. There always seem to be assumptions made about you just because you're female.

What do you look for in gear?
    Quality of materials, quality of stitching, fit, colour, price. I'm happy to pay a bit more for something that is well made and will go the distance.

What do you think of the fitting and shape of the current female range?
    It's all over the place. There's no standard fitting and some gear is even men's sizing with an extra couple of inches in the hips. It's impossible to buy anything without trying it on first. Also, whether a lady is large or small, the most common complaint is that there are little to no designs that have been made specifically with the female figure in mind.

What features would you like to see in ladies gear?
    Perhaps an after-market tailoring service? Also, a colour and design range other than black, pink and happy little elves and butterflies.

Hope this helps!
  13. i wouldnt feel too singled out on the poor sizing of gear. it seems every set of pants in mens sizes are built for twigs like valentino rossi or something. took me ages to find a decent set of leather pants i could actually fit my legs into
  14. A few things that MrsB's found when shopping for gear:-

If you're over about a size 16, forget it if you want leather. Maybe 18 if you're lucky.

If you don't want pink twiddly bits (metaphorically speaking), your options are limited.

Unless you go to someone like Walden Miller and pay WM prices, good luck getting a plain, old fashioned, lancer fronted BLJ that's a serious piece of protective clothing rather than a fashion item (though that applies to blokes too to an extent).

Maybe we've just been looking in the wrong places :? .

But yes, there does seem to be a lack of serious gear for ladies who are not of average size or who don't want conspicuously "girly" styling. If you just want good quality, no-nonsense dead cow with quality stitching, good zips that can be managed with numb, gloved fingers, styling that's not either forced Brando or pseudo race, etc. etc. you're a bit stuck, at least for affordable off the shelf stuff, particularly if you're unfortunate enough to live in Perth.

As I alluded to above, the situation isn't brilliant for blokes, but at least I can go mail order with some confidence that the stuff will fit, or near enough. MrsB doesn't have that luxury. There seems to be a slightly better range available in the US, but MO is a major risk on the fit front.
  15. Thanks to all who replied and contributed.
  16. Hi there, not sure if this will help but...

If you're a small build (i'm talking under 5ft) like myself, i"ve found agv leathers to be quite accommodating and comfortable. As mentioned by someone earlier, they may be quite short in the body, not really a problem for me, but maybe for some.

As for helpful staff, well I've found peter stevens on elisabeth st has a few girls working in the gear section and they seem willing to help you out. Still a male dominated industry IMO, but i find if you're honest with them about the problems you're encountering in finding your gear, they will take the time to go through all the options with you. If you're willing to travel, the dandy team at peter stevens are very down to earth and I ended up getting all but my draggins from them, simply coz they had none small enough to fit me :p As you can probably imagine, finding gear for someone my size took ages and was a nightmare.

Well hope this helps...