Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

a question for riders that live near the beach/coast

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by idontlikemondays, Jun 27, 2007.

1. at the moment im looking at buying a little unit somewhere.
    i was hoping to move to the northern beaches, a couple of really nice appartments are on offer in newport, but there are also some nice ones in turramurra, no where near the beach.
    one thing struck when thinking about this though, corrosion.
    obviously the logical answer is yes corrosion is worse on vehicles near to the coast, but is this really true?
    any feedback on personal experiances would mundo grando!
    i love the beach and the surf, but i also love my bikes, and sort of like my car, so this is becoming a serious concern to me!

cheers
    dom

2. Dude,
    I grew up in Newport, Avalon, Whale beach, Collaroy... Closest to the beach was about 200m. Corrosion is not really an issue unless you are right on the beach (some of my friends were), it gets the fridge and any metal fittings, even inside electronics. It is true that it used to kill cars in short order, it eventually killed my 1974 honda civic (first car).
    Now days corrosion coatings are much better, so cars and bikes last longer even close to the beach, certainly longer than a vehicles typical life (10-15 years). My parents live about 100m from the beach at newport and they have a 10 year old corolla with not a spec of rust.
    If you can afford to live right on the beach front in Newport, you can afford a new bike every few weeks anyway....
    K

3. If you clean your bike regularly and repair any paint chips it wont fall to bits before your finished with it.
    Factory painting processes are much better than they were 20 yrs ago.

Dont let salt air put you off where you live or play.

4. Visible rust..........

Regards, Andrew.[/b]

5. Haven't had a problem with rust at my place, a 10 minute walk from the beach in narrabeen. Having said that, two of the cars are garaged. One is very unloved and lives on the street and hasn't been washed in years and its all stuffed, but not because of rust :)

I do notice my brake discs get rusty if I don't ride it for a little while, but that comes off easy :)

I'd say don't let it phase you, but just keep it in mind, and keep everything oiled well.

6. My virago developed a fair bit of rust on the exhaust - lived 5mins from the beach and it was kept outdoors.

I'm paranoid about the VTR developing rust as we live abt 200mtrs from the beach - and yet again the bike is kept outside. As a result I go through a fair few cans of WD40 - spray and wipe where I can and just spray and leave where I can't wipe. Also give the inside of the exhaust a bit of a spray with it as well - but I've heard fish oil is good for that too - yet to get some.

7. I've lived in Avalon all my life and have noticed the rust issue.

The trick is not to leave your ride outside if at all possible and to take care of her as Rosie does (maybe a bit over the top but it's her call!)

I had a new Mazda van (1982) that I parked outside for about 2 years and you could've peeled the roof off, it got that rusty. But that was on the road at the top of North Avalon Headland and it got blasted by the southerly salt laden winds.

Don't let the issue of rust put you off living in the greastest place on earth!!!

A cover and a regular rinse and TLC if you leave your ride outside will be all you need.

If you garage it...............no worries at all!

Jeff

8. I grew up down near Bells Beach, salt was an issue, generally in spots you couldnt see or didnt think about.

These days my partner and I are involved in 4WD stuff and i know that you can get special units that put some form of current/field around the vehicle to stop rust. There is a particular group that i have heard good reports of (both in the 4WD industry and through other contacts)

The company is called Coupler Tec. I know they have put the units on bikes before, but it could be worth giving them a call and seeing if the units would be suitable for your bike (some 250's may not have large enough batteries to run them) or check out the website.
    http://www.couplertec.com.au/

As others have said though, dont let something like the thought of rust worry you, living near the ocean is the best thing in the world.

:)

Emily

9. Just don't hook the voltage up the wrong way ;).
    Cheaper option would be to just use a sacrificial anode. Attaching a chunk of zinc to the steelwork will significantly reduce corrosion, a method that is used for ships and steel structures near the ocean (wharves for example). Better still just follow Rosies advice and give everything a regular spraying with water dispersant or fish oil - you can usually buy fish oil in bulk cheap at any auto store.

10. I live about 500 meters from the Ocean beach Rye area and there is a major corrosion problem belive me . Unless the bike is garaged ( not just under a car port) and regularly cleaned and WD 40'd then we get corrosion.
    Painted surfaces need to be protected with a good polish.
    I used to own a HD Sportster and my wife had both 250 and 1100 Viraqo ( read lotsa bling) it was a full time job keeping the cruiser types upto scratch in this environment.
    Thats why my current bike is a plastic fantastic even tho I prefer a nekkid bike the upkeep is too much for where I live.

11. We were going to put the fish oil on our last 4WD to prevent further rust in one spot, but even the "no scent" one stank, hence why we looked at the couplertec. I know its not as cheap as fish oil, but depending on what your circumstances the couplertec could be much easier. Kinda like chains, I ride daily in all weather and dont have time to put lube on as often as needed, so I plan to put a Scottoiler on my next bike as it will save me heaps of time and money. If i was going to the beach occasionally i would probably use fish oil or similar, but if i lived there and the upkeep of this would need to be a lot more often, the money of the couplertec might be well worth it.

Emily

12. Should have tried a different brand. Some de-odourised fish oils do stink but others have absolutely no smell at all. I've no doubt the couplertec system does work at preventing rust - but it's not cheap and I'm sceptical about the claims of preventing paint fade (which is generally due to UV exposure more so than "loss of electrons"). For a bike, especially a steel-framed one, just using a block of zinc would be a whole lot cheaper and easier than something that's going to be regularly drawing power from the battery.

13. I used to live in Brighton Le Sands just accross the street from the beach. The two cars were left outside literally in front of the beach and they have no rust. This was three straight years.

Just give your bike a regular clean to avoid salt deposits and you will be fine.

Now we live in Newport :wink:

Will