Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Question About L's

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by madma_2003, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. I have just been thinking how you have to be 18 to get your motorcycle learners permit in victoria and only 16 and 9 months in nsw, and if it would be possible to get your l's in nsw the get them transferred to vic permits.

    Does anyone know if you have to be a nsw resident or if you can just get them while staying in nsw for a short time?

    Thanks in advance
  2. I'll have a guess at this one. I recon even Vicroads have thought of this and won't let you transfer your L's if you are under 18. You need to be a resident to get your licence in that state. This is similar to the reverse rule that you must transfer your licence to the new state if you move within a reasonable time period (a few months). You are subject to the licencing laws in the state in which you live.
  3. You'll need a NSW address and 100 pts proof of identity. If you have that, then why try to move to Vic? Just keep your NSW license in NSW :)
  4. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
    Looks like ill be sticking with my dirt bike for a year or two.
    I guess the longer i have to wait, the more ill apprteiate it when i do get my l's. :)