Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Purpose!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Captain Insano, Feb 20, 2012.

1. A Purpose!

A clock ticks, the wind blows, the sun shines and rivers flow. These are but very obvious examples of the one law that everyone and everything must follow, A Purpose! There is a purpose for everything in this world and everything beyond it. In fact the world itself has a purpose even if it is to just exist as a world to all of us. You and I are not exempt from this law and so we all have our purposes. Since talking about the purpose of everything will take up every available space on this server, which even though is its purpose, let us leave some for others to carry on their purposes too.

I have always wondered about this purpose. As a child growing up i always had my head buried in books, no not books prescribed by the purposeful curriculum but books whose sole purpose was to give my brain a purpose, a purpose to imagine. I used to be so lost in my books and the images they created in my mind that I did not notice the real world quietly slip by. I saw the world through these images in my head and the more i stayed and watched the more i was entranced by the purpose of every character in it. I saw people and wondered what they did, how they lived. I read of machines, food, places, beauty and wondered how it might have been to see them, feel them and of course eat them. Then slowly it happened, you know what always does happen... reality caught up with me. Boarding school was behind me and I found myself standing right in the thick of people, strangers, all of whom had their each individual purposes and i was told to find mine.

The more i thought about it the more the purpose of things and of people seemed more and more clear. I was thrilled. It was amazing how everything fitted in place and how everyone and everything helped fulfil these purposes, one could say it was like clockwork! It still is amazing to sit back and watch…watch people, animals, and machines, all running to their purposes. I had so many amazing options, so many possibilities: was i a fixer, a maker, a tester,a builder, a dreamer, a doer. Was i to explore, was i to tell people of amazing lands i had seen. Was i to stay and build a world worth living in. I talked to as many people as i could, so many stories so many variations, so many amazing adventures. Stories of love, of hate, of hardships, of good living. So many new things to imagine!! Where was i to fit in all of this, my mind wandered, imagining each scenario each possibility.

I lost so much time in listening to all these stories of people i did not realize my life was passing by. The clock was still ticking, fulfilling its purpose while i was out looking for it. As i try waking up from the Neverland in my head the questions bring me back right at the start and so the loop continues, that is its purpose!

The question of purpose! If everyone and everything is meant to have a purpose... what is mine? I have tried my hand at many different things and found almost all of them equally intriguing. They were all fun to learn and master... until i could do it and do it well and then they became just another boring unentertaining mundane tasks and i found myself looking yet again for my purpose!

So my fellow humans, i leave you with these very silly yet definitive (for me at this moment at least) questions, What is a purpose? Have you found yours? If you did, how? How did you know it was yours? How can i find mine? How will i know? Can one exist without one?

A purpose… that is what i seek...

2. Purpose: To enjoy life until I die.

It's all very pointless but suicide is illegal so meh. Not everything has to have a purpose. Some things just are.
  3. +1 to that!

The sun rises, the sun sets. Deal with it.
  4. Leave no turn unstoned.

5. The best Purpose by far!! :)
  6. I dont have a porpoise :(

7. Welcome to the club my man! I'm looking for mine too! I beleive there is one for all of us, looking to fit in the puzzle!
  8. I studied marine biology just to get a porpoise in my life. It still hasn't happened yet. :(
  9. Very philosophical and a very good point, VTR. Looks like you are a man after my own heart. :?

I'm not sure that I can answer your question as I'm yet to find my purpose in my life. Yes there's the usual list - career, wife, kids, house etc but thats a list that has been given to us. I often try to create my own list but would that be different to this??

Is my purpose solely to just work till I can & then retire till I sign off (that can happen anytime though). What about spending quality time with my parents, wife, kids & friends?? What about all those dreams that I had when I was growing up

What If I never wanted to marry, have kids & ‘settle’ down?? Yes, I don’t mind hard work but would I have been happy if I was single? Could I’ve made work hard, save money, travel the world my ‘Purpose’ in life without ‘settling down’??

Dalai Lama has quoted ‘The purpose of our lives is to be happy’ BUT easier said than done.

Questions…questions…so many questions. I do sometimes think that this ‘purpose’ in life comes so easily to others where people like us are in constant search of that elusive all important 'Purpose'.

Well… c’est la vie. :)
  10. Digital clocks don't tick. Does that mean they have no purpose?

As to our purpose? It is just to carry genetic information from one generation to the next, hopefully improving it a little tiny along the way. Everything else is just environmental testing of those improvements.
  11. My purpose is to trawl the internet for weird posts like this one and call the author out on being high as a gorram kite

12. Yes the question or our inability to answer it becomes even more amplified when we see that some have found answers so easily, but have they? or are they just moving with the flow?

I realise that there is no straight answer and that we have to find it out for ourselves, for each and every one will have different solutions. It is but one of many things that seem to claw at you from the back of your mind.

I am single and have never been in a relationship that lasted more than 6 mths. Like i mentioned in the original post i get tired of things too easily. I dread the mundane and look around to find many examples in my close circle, couples living like room mates. I get lonely a lot and can't really say i am happy but i fell bad to make someone live my unmeaningful existance with me, nobody deserves to live a lie. So i remain single by choice till i find that someone who can put this relationship thinggy in perspective for me, may or may not happen but we will see i guess.

I do find myself wondering about the family and loved ones and friends senario and wonder if i would have been happier though... who knows its the 'what if' paradox!

Thanks for the like minded comment though. I find that saying one is alike is a big complement. For better or for worse lets see what others have to say to this.

Hahaha... I knew someone would eventually accuse me of smoking the green stuff, i sometimes wish that was the case myself. Two years clean of it now and keeping it that way! My heads too phucked up without the help of such... ummm... well you know...
  13. Is it bad that I'm pretty sure what your referencing? Serenity?

Any purpose. None, really can't find one, so I try not to think about it too much. I try and do things I enjoy. Try and do things that bring pleasure to others (organising group rides and such). But as far as a real purpose, there is none. Hang the sense of it and keep yourself busy, I'd rather be happy than right any day.
  14. i collect icy pole sticks
  15. Now you won't find any of this in one of them bibley religousey sort of book thingos', but if you want to discover your true purpose in life, you must first empty your mind of all the false purposes you’ve been taught (including the idea that you may have no purpose at all).

For example: A master martial artist asked Bruce Lee to teach him everything Bruce knew about martial arts. Bruce held up two cups, both filled with liquid. “The first cup,” said Bruce, “represents all of your knowledge about martial arts. The second cup represents all of my knowledge about martial arts. If you want to fill your cup with my knowledge, you must first empty your cup of your knowledge.”

Have no idea what the fuck that means but if Bruce said it, it had to be wise shit in deed! 8-[
  16. Haha, good man, yes it's from Firefly/Serenity. And no it's not bad, greatest show ever
  17. I may have it on DVD and Bluray, both the series and the movie.
  18. to maintain control over my bowels
  19. when i have enough icy pole sticks and clag, i will build a full scale model of the path to enlightenment.
    until then i dutifully follow the teachings of the devine and righteous paddle pop lion.