Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A probable hypothetical situation

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hazard121, Aug 8, 2005.

1. heres the scoop, i live in the NT right now, and next year will be traveling down to QLD for university, but my permanent residence will still be in the northern territory and i'll only be in QLD to study, then traveling home on holidays..For this reason im quite sure i'll be fine to keep my NT bike/car licence, but my question/s are...

A) If i brought a bike in qld would i be able to register it in qld with my NT licence or would i have to either bring it back to NT, register and then take it to QLD where im studying??

8) Since im just in QLD to study and need a method of transport and my perminent residence is still in NT, i wouldnt have to change my car/bike licence over to QLD would I??

cheers

2. I don't know what the law is in the NT (being a territory) but in NSW licencing goes on the PPR basis; principal place of residence. Lots of people used to register vehicles out of state because it was cheaper, but the law was changed to stop that. I think now you have a short period of time in which to re-resister your vehicle IN NSW and after that you can be fined, and there are insurance inplications too. Licence, dunno.

3. The only reasons preventing me from swapping my licence over to qld is it is quite cheap to renew compared (i think) as its only 18 dollars a year, well car anyway, only just got bike licence so not sure but im guessing together it'll be aound $30..and also there is no points system in NT, so only way to loose your licence is extreme speeding (40kms+) or extreme drink driving (0.15bac or above)

4. One thing. Look up the Living Away From Home Allowance with your accountant.

If you can prove your going back home, your rent is tax free :)

5. A) If i brought a bike in qld would i be able to register it in qld with my NT licence ??

YES

8) Since im just in QLD to study and need a method of transport and my perminent residence is still in NT, i wouldnt have to change my car/bike licence over to QLD would I??

NO

6. you don't need a licence to register a vehicle.

7. Thats awesome, that'll save me alot of time ferrying the bike up and down the coastline. Any more opinions/advice/knowledge is welcome, the more the better..im looking forward to getting to brissie and comming on rides with you guys.

8. nsw rego

OK people another question along the lines.

What if I work both in bris 60% of the year (live with my sister) and sydney the other 40% of the year where I lease an appartment. My licence and car rego is Queensland as i spend most of the year there.

Can I buy a bike here in sydney (to use when I am here) and register it in nsw. If so how?

9. NO POINTS SYSTEM IN NORTHERN TERRITORY???!!!

That must be paradise!!! Maybe I need to move there :wink:

10. Re: nsw rego

why not. All you need is a NSW address for the paperwork.

11. Yeah its great, even though ive never been booked in my car in the fear of having to cough up my motorbike money...

im a smart speeder, i never get caught :wink:

12. Re: nsw rego

But wouldnt it look dodgy having 2 addresses? What paperwork would I need if I was going to do it. Obviously not a qld licence.

13. Damov, I think you'd still get caught up in the PPR situation. The RTA looks at contiguous occupation of a dwelling in the state as being residing in your principal place of residence. Even if you got it registered out of state, say at your mate's place in QLD, a NSW cop could still argue that since you have been living in, say, Newtown, for 30 days or more contiguously, that constitutes FOR THE PURPOSES OF YOUR BIKE REGO, and licencing, your principal place of residence.

14. The delma is that I travel to and from sydney ever 2 months or so for work from brisbane and my ppr would technically be brisbane however I do lease an appartment in sydney (with roomys of course). I stay in sydney for usually no longer than 3 to 4 weeks at a time.

The question is could I have my bike and rego nsw seeing that I have a lease there or would it be best to have her qld rego. Bearing in mind that I will keep it in nsw and use it when I am down there.

confused? then my work is done. lol

15. I think you should contact the RTA in NSW and ask them, that would be the definitive answer. They do have a web-site, but navigating it is like juggling razor blades, so I'd phone them.