Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A positive note on Sydney council re m/c parking

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dc, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Moved to a new street in Erskineville, inner west Sydney.

My gf and I both have bikes and there's marked resident and free parking in the street. We park both bikes in one car space but after someone knocking one bike over and several comments from neighbours about "how some people might have a problem with us parking bikes in a car spot" we tried to find another spot to park.

It's not easy in older streets where every possible car park spot has been marked out and everywhere else signed to buggery but we found a place between a flower bed and a kerb marking the end of a 90 deg parking bay which would take 3 or 4 bikes, to narrow for a car and useless space otherwise. No stopping sign next to it but otherise all good.

Wrote a nice letter to the council asking if this could be made m/c parking, included maps and pics etc. Got a reply some 3 months later (pretty quick for a city council I thought) saying that they are provisioning 3 new m/c parking areas in and around our street!

Not in the spot we suggested though - some excuse about it being a pedestrian crossing area. I'm still puzzled about exactly where but there's gonna be 2 parking spots (1 or 2 bikes?) and one 3.1m bay.

Just thought I'd mention the fact that I asked the council and they're now doing something about it. Maybe other people wrote in maybe not but I reckon it's worth the asking anyway.

You can also call them up and discuss it too, blokes I spoke to were reasonable and understanding and didn't treat me like a social pariah for daring to own a motorcycle and want to park it safely!

FYI address I wrote to was:

Traffic Management
    City of Sydney Council
    GPO BOX 1591
    NSW 2001
  2. Nice work, mate. :grin:
  3. Thanks.

I will laugh if they reprovision a car spot to make it m/c only parking!

I think there's only us with bikes in the street so we'll probably be chased out by the townsfolk holding torches and pitchforks...
  4. what would be funny if it turned out to be the spot in front of your house!

I don't believe that most people wake up in the morning and say "today I am going to work to do a bad job"!

Well done mate, good outcome by the sounds of it. :cool:
  5. I don't think you should've moved where you park. If there's parking for residents you're entitled to use it.
  6. It is probably an arbitrary thing. Could be some fcukhead making an illegitimate point or it may have just been the stupidity of some of the drugged-out locals that rammed the bike without seeing it. I live in Surry Hills and it can be scary seeing how some people park around here. They haven't got a clue what's going on around them or how to handle their car. I was talking to a repair guy in a bike shop nearby today when I dropped the V-Strom off for a service. He said he had just finished repairing the front left side of V-Strom after someone parking had slammed into it with such force that the front end was smashed back to the fuel tank! :shock: It's not like it is a small bike and is hard to see and to do that much damage they must have revved it and dropped the clutch straight into it.
  7. lol

theft insurance will save ur arse

without it i would be parking in the living room.
  8. Parking on street in Erskineville...ewwwwwww.

I would dismantle my bike and move each part inside every night in order to avoid parking on the street round that area.