Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A number of Suzuki Across Q's

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by pokolbinguy, May 28, 2008.

1. G'day All,

I have a few questions that I would love to put out there and try and get some feedback, any info would be great. Not long bought my bike and want to make sure I look after it...so:

1. How often (km's wise for example) should I have my Across serviced?

2. What general maintenance other than keeping liquids up, air filter clean and chain lubed should I do?

3. I have been told I will need a new chain soon, how much should this cost?

4. My bike is a grey import complianced 1997, is there a way to determine its real age?

5. Is there any advantage in using "premium" fuel. I would assume not??

Anyway for now that is all, thanks to anyone that replies with info it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pok
  2. G'day Pok,

My limited knowledge offers the following:

1. Every 5,000km or 6 months
    2. Clean chain every once in a while when it looks to be covered in grease/dirt. Obviously tyre pressure as well lol, and check lights.
    3. I think about $250 for new chain and sprockets, but that is a (slightly educated) guess
    4. No idea
    5. Premium is a waste to run as you wont get any more km from it but I was told to run a tank every now and then the flush the fuel system
  3. +1

well said

4. https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53559

The tenth (10th) digit in the vehicles VIN code tells the model year of your bike, using the the following year codes:

80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
    A B C D E F G H J K

90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
    L M N P R S T V W X

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09
    Y 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
  5. Ok thanks for the info guys. Only thing is the VIN number is different to the "normal" i'm assuming because it is a grey import.

The VIN is '6c91mportvhv30251'. Using the suggested codes 'V' indicates 1997. However this is the complied year aswell... would it just be pure luck that the bike was manufactured and grey imported in the same year???

Could there be codes else where either on the compliance plate or bik that might help out? or have I found my answer??

Also the front brake is on the right hand side, I had a feeling that I read somewhere that this got changed to the left somewhere around 1994??

And back to the chain question... is the $250 you mention Hordo parts only or fitted? I'm pretty handy with things and pretty sure I could fit a new chain and sproket. (done it before on other bikes aswell).

Cheers folks, Pok
  6. what colour is it and is the brake disc on the left or right?

Oh and look at the frame for the stamped chassis no, rather than on the compliance plate if possible.
  7. That's not a valid VIN so I wouldn't put too much faith in it.
    Fairly sure the front brake was only on the RHS on the very first models produced in 1990. The '91 model certainly had it on the left.
  8. Ok so the VIN IS valid, but as a Australian complied import. Shows up using this site http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe

I will have a better look at the bike when I get home tonight and see if I can find the original code stamped on the frame. From memory I remember seeing something on there but didnt pay much attention.

The brake is on the RHS and the rotor is goldish in colour. but could have been replaced in its lifetime.

Anyway I'm not really too worried except for the fact that the bike may be 7years older than I originally thought but it is in damn good condition and I have had it looked over by a reputable mechanic so things should be ok.

Thanks guys, Pok
  9. It's a grey import. So quite possible the front wheel may be from 1990, but the engine and frame could be from completely different years.
    If you're lucky there should still be the original plate with the original VIN from when it was sold in Japan - that will give the build year (not the compliance year).
  10. Cool, I shall check it out.

I was really just interested for the sake of it. As far as I am concerned the age is not really an issue considering the condition of the bike. Could easily have spent the money (+more) on a younger second hand bike only for it to have been flogged and have problems that I wouldn't have known of for months down the track....so at the moment I'm a happy camper.
  11. the brake on the right was 90-91 model years ,on the left after that time, also check the blinkers, if they are below headlamp makes it older than 1997

anyway the compliance plate should say the model year after the import vin

eg XXXXXXXXXXX 1990

comp 8/97

or if it doesnt maybe the 91mport refers to the bike being a 91 model
  12. :popcorn:
  13. So i got my hands on a new chain today but didnt think about changing the sprockets..... should this be done at the same time?????
  14. Yes the sprockets could shag the new chain if they are worn.

I got Genuine sprokets from Peter stevens for under 60 bux front and rear.
  15. Whats the best way to tell if they are worn???? Rounded teeth etc????
  16. Really badly worn looks like eagles talons, lol

The side the chain puts the pressure on will be worn away.

Usually the front sprocket it the worst in my experience.
  17. So to remove and replace sprockets and chain I do the following:

1. remove axel

2. remove rear brake caliper (does this mean taking it apart??? ...will I loose the liquid inside?)

3. wheel should now be free to move around

4. Remove rear wheel

5. remove and replace rear sprocket

6. cut old chain off is needed, replace with new chain cut to length.

7. Remove front sprocket and replace

8. Put back together

Does this sound logical????

Anything I should be careful off??

I have done these repairs on a postie bike but they have rear drum brakes not discs so I just want to make sure I don't stuff the brake.

Cheers, Pok

P.s If anyone has and photos of this procedure that would be great.
  18. I have the manual (downloaded version). But what I need to know is can I remove the rear brake caliper without pulling it apart... e.g take it off and put it back one without having to bleed the brakes etc.