Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by SliderF14, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Ive brought a 2006 ZZR250 which is unregistered and needs a vehicle inspection. The bike is in great condition and runs well, although I want to replace the brake pads and oils, etc.
    Can anyone help with what brands are best as Im new to bikes. Also any tips on what commonly gets picked up on inspections. Cheers everyone

2. Not too sure about parts brands as I stick to OEM mostly. The last inspection I got all they really checked as indicators, seat wear (any split/foam showing is an instant fail), instruments and brakes. My bike was "road worthy" despite rooted head stem and wheel bearings
  3. welcome aboard :] as for the parts you want to replace, google is your best friend or any manuals that may have come with the bike
  4. If you're unsure, perhaps take a look at the service history and contact the dealer that the bike was serviced at previously. Often you can hit them up for spares and put the same oil etc in it that they used when servicing to keep things consistent. You can also check if there were any historical issues you should be looking out for at the same time. If you buy parts from them it seems fair they give you a bit of background / advice as well.
  5. With pads and oil filter just go to a Kwaka dealer and pick up OEM parts. Oil just a 20W50 without friction modifiers is OK. Because the oil is shared by the engine, gearbox and clutch friction modifiers used in car oil are to be avoided. Your first goal is to get it registered. So:

All lights, blinkers, horn. brakes, tyre state, no oil leaks, all controls work, etc