Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured N/A | National A new "Legal" tinted visor

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by V2, Apr 24, 2015.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Still a tinted visor & I reckon it will be considered no different to any other.
  2. Either it passes compliance testing (whoever conducts them) or it doesn't.
    Whether misinformed cops issue infringements or not, will not affect the actual legality.
    It does look pretty dark though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Whether its legal depends on some sticker or engraving on your visor. So, apply some window tint to the inside of your approved clear visor.
  4. The visor standards also contain a light transmission clause IIRC, so that would still fail when activated. You could turn it off if you got pulled over of course.
  5. I would think it would come with an Australian Standards sticker. In which case it has to be legal. If no sticker I wouldn't risk it.
  6. To be sold in Australia it would probably have to pass some form of testing and be provided with an Australian Standards sticker. This would provide legal protections from overzealous policemen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. A tinted visor must have 50% visible light transmission and be marked as tinted

There is no requirement for it to be marked as compliant to AS1698 or AS1609. This is one of the absurd aspects of the current visor regulations

ACCC is not doing any spot checks on visors as they are not specified separately in ACCC CPN 9. Another piece of absurdity in the current regulations

One distributor has recently started marking inner visors as not compliant with AS1609 yet they are fitted to helmets with AS1698 stickers and being placed on the shelf for sale. Yet another piece of absurdity

The system has now become a complete farce
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Not necessarily. There is a difference between being legal to sell/buy and legal to use on the road.

For example there is nothing illegal about selling or buying after market exhausts that exceed the noise level requirements. What is illegal is using them on a road bike.
  9. Ive been wearing a tinted visor for about 90% of my riding in the last 18 months. I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago by a cop for speeding 11 over.
    He hassled me about sitting in right lane on the highway. He hassled me about my bar end mirrors.
    There was absolutely NO mention of my dark tinted visor on my Arai.
    Maybe the plod in VIC are just complete knob jockeys but it seems everywhere else the cops just don't give a shit and use common sense.
    I believe this visor thing is a storm in a tea cup and Ill continue wearing it compliant by law or not.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Generally true, but the Competition and Consumer Law 2010, Schedule 2, s106 prohibits selling products in trade or commerce that don't meet a safety standard (if such a standard is in force). Section 109 makes it an offence punishable by a fine of up to $1,100,000 for companies.

Consumer Protection Note 9 makes AS1698-1998 the enforceable safety standard for motorcycle helmets.

TL;DR - it's illegal to (commercially) sell motorcycle helmets in Australia unless they meet AS1698-1988.
  11. Only if you are selling them for use on the road or race track. If you are selling them for 'display' or 'show' purposes only then you can sell any helmet you want.
  12. If it were that easy, every motorcycle shop in Queensland would be selling ECE helmets. You have to establish that the product itself is not a "protective helmet for motorcyclists", which would be a bit more involved than whacking on a 'for display purposes only' sticker.
  13. It must have changed since 2004. The Harley shop my wife worked in, along with quite a few others, were selling 'skull caps' and other 'not for use on the road helmets' with no issues what-so-over. They were displayed in the store separately from the the 'for road use' helmets with clear signage
  14. No the law in 2004 was the same as now, to be placed on the shelf for sale the helmets need to meet ACCC CPN 9 regardless of what they are to be used for. It is one of the flaws in the system as it is technically illegal to sell helmets compliant to other standards for use in racing, it is also technically illegal to sell helmets to AS1698-2006 as it is a different STD to that specified in ACCC CPN 9

The TPA notices which preceded ACCC CPN 9 during the period 1978 to 1999 stated specifically "For use on Public Roads" which then allowed sale of helmets to different standards for non road use

The Harley shops etc back in 2004 were getting away with sale of non compliant helmets as the ACCC cannot be everywhere and nobody had complained to them so no action was taken
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Fair enough.
  16. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Nelson sold Lisa the answers to a test.
    • Funny Funny x 1