Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"A motorcyclist died after losing control"

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Zorba, Dec 10, 2005.

1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17527548-29277,00.html

A rider is killed when a moron in a ute turns into his driveway without looking and it's the motorcyclist who lost control!

What do motorcyclists have to do to stop being treated like second class road users?

Mongrels in the @#$^ press !

Sorry for venting.

Anthony.

2. Ay? im assuming you witnessed it or something? Otherwise how did you come to that conclusion?

3. Yeah Zorba, a bit of moderation please. The story reports just the facts and makes no conclusions as to who was in the wrong, nor should you.

For all we know the guy on the bike could have been doing 185kmh round a corner on a road he didn't know and has run into the back of the ute because he was going too fast.

The sooner some people on two wheels lose their victim mentality, the better it will be for all of us.

4. Unsure. The rider hit the ute as it was turning into a driveway.

Rider's don't just magically lose control of their bikes, come off, and slide into the nearest ute. Well, maybe they do, stranger things have happened.

99% likely the ute turned across the road while the rider was coming the other way, perhaps hit the anchors, locked the front wheel, came off, and his body slammed into the ute.

So technically we could argue that the rider "lost control". We could also argue that he didn't so much lose control as had no other option. Don't know. If someone swings a baseball bat at your head, and you duck and trip over, could someone then say of you that you merely "lost your footing"?

Probably something along those lines I'd guess.

[Edit: clarified]

5. Wrong, you certainly are guessing and you could be 100% incorrect, see my comments above.....

6. Without Looking?
    Do you know more than is in the report, or are you doing what you complain about?
    The ute might have been turning off to the left.

7. For sure I'm guessing. I even said as much. Words like "probably", "could", and "guess" tend to give that away.

8. I mean that article doesnt give alot of info. But the way its worded i got the picture that the guy on the bike ran into the back of the car... But again thats a MASSIVE guess cause that article has no details at all.

9. mate I know you had those words in your post, but you spent 5 paragraphs building a case for the motorcyclist's innocence and the driver's guilt without one single shred of evidence, that was my point.

You may well be right, and further evidence may prove you so, but hypothesis of that sort only serves to entrench the victim mentality to which I alluded.

10. Agree Mik84. I was just postulating what would have had to have happened before someone could say that the "rider lost control".

Edit: hornet600, I think you misunderstood my intent. I apportioned no guilt at all, nor no innocence. Just wondering what might have happened in such a scenario that "lost control" could enter the event description.

11. Sheesh, well if I'm ever killed by a moron turning in front of me into his driveway I hope none of you are on the jury.

Not only would you let the guy off scot free you'd probably order my estate to pay for the damage to the side of the bloke's ute!

Anthony.

12. You're not listening, are you??

I hope you're never a judge, because you'd have already decided the case and sentenced someone to gaol or death before you'd even heard the evidence.

I presume if it is later demonstrated that the motorcylist was in the wrong and a victim of his own rashness or bad judgment, that you will likewise post a withdrawal of your slur on the driver and an apology for your intemperate comments?

13. so zorba, what evidence do you have to say that it was the drivers fault? do you automatically assume that if an accident involves a rider, that they're in the right just because they ride?

BS mate, rider could have run up the utes arse, rider could have been going 200kph at night without lights, rider could have been lurking around waiting for an opportunity to run full bore into a ute and kill himself.... you dont know otherwise do you?

it could easily have been the utes fault, but it could just as easily have been the riders fault. if you had more than a half baked assumption to go on, i'd be behind you 100% in slagging off the driver and the media, but you've got nothing :roll:

have fun getting riled up :wink:

14. Yes I will, how about you?

15. coulda woulda shoulda.

Speculation and misinformation is not healthy debate.

Let's await the facts before jumping to conclusions and before we start to point fingers ey.

16. You guys just don't get it.

In the mad rush to defend the driver you all miss the point that my only beef is the first bold line of the news story.

It uses the subjective phrase "losing control of his bike". Where's the evidence in the story to back that up?

Anthony.

17. I believe thats beside the point. Your still losing control of your bike regardless if the accident was your fault or not.

18. well, he stacked didn't he? :LOL: :LOL:

how bout looking at it from this angle then, the article states that the rider lost control, therefore it MUST have been the rider running up the rear of the ute and they just didn't feel like elaborating? no? too simple?

i'm not all to into speculating, but that would be the assumption that comes to mind for me. till you pull some evidence to prove otherwise, i think i might stick to this logic.

and a "mad rush to defend the driver" :shock: :?: :?: WTF mate, how about a mad rush to NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS BASED ON NOTHING :LOL: :LOL:

cop that common sense :p

19. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you Zorba?
    If it turns out the driver was at fault, your intemperate outburst will not be vindicated, just because your paranoid hunch turned out to be a lucky guess.
    Paul would have nothing to apologise for.

20. And "moike" still doesn't understand and needs to resort to insults.

Its not about who's to blame its about the way the newspaper made the rider look like he's automatically the one at fault by referring to "losing control".

The point is its a subject term which makes the rider look at fault to casual readers of the newspaper.

Anthony.