Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Moment....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Jem, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Hi all,

thought I would share a moment I had on the way home last night. Map reference here -

http://g.co/maps/crhjf

I was traveling in the left hand lane of Rathmines Road going across Bourke into Canterbury Road. The cars in the right hand lane had stopped as traffic across Bourke in Canterbury was at a standstill. Car on the other side of the intersection turning right into Bourke road which I could see quite clearly. Cars traveling this way are facing into the setting sun.

As I entered the intersection the car turning right took off and as you can imagine some things clenched.... I was in no real danger of being hit as I was past him but it made me think that could have been bad. I could see by the expression on the drivers face that he had not seen me.

Lessons I learnt from this -

Beware of cars facing into the sun, they will not only have trouble seeing but your light may also be lost in the sun glare.

If you are in the left hand lane you may well be hidden by the cars on your right from people across the intersection.

Not quite sure what I could have done differently to make myself more visible to car across the intersection, tips and advice more than welcome.

Cheers Jeremy

2. One of those situations where the lights on legislation makes it more dangerous. With headlight on your contrast to the background sun is worse. There has been discussion on the site before about varying your angle of approach if possible so that their brains perceive a movement. A constant angle of approach will often not be perceived.

• Like Like x 1
  3. My most interesting near miss in recent memory was similar to that.

fLtGd.

The cars in the right lane stop because ahead the traffic is slow or stopped for whatever reason, and they politely let the cars turn in front of them.

Cars turning have no way to see whats coming down your lane.

Easy situation to avoid, but one of those things that if you're not paying attention could end up with you flying through the air, sun in their face or no.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Whenever there is a car that wants to follow a trajectory that intersects your path, slow down and move to the opposite side of the lane. Ie start taking evasive actions *before* something goes wrong, which will give you a better chance of stopping, give the driver more time to see you, and reduce the force of a collision if the driver still comes out at the very last instant. Seriously, I do this every time there is a car waiting to pull out from a side street or make a right turn from the opposite side of the road. I doesn't mater if the driver waiting thinks you're a numbknuckle.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Some of the more common strategies I've picked up on here:

1. predict that you are not seen/dont expect that you will be seen
    2. set up your brakes and slow down
    3. SIAM
    4. buffer over to the left
    5. go through the intersection with (alongside) a car protecting you on the right if multiple lanes allow (sorry I didnt look at this intersection)
    6. plan out a couple of escapes
    7. avoid this type of intersection at this time of day
    8. forget about your horn - its useless
    9. consider following a car very closely through - I dont like this one
    10. flash high beam- I dont like this one either

• Like Like x 3
  6. I know the intersection, and it was good that you picked up on the sun glare. It's a reasonable assumption that the driver will be trying to see, but can easily fail.

What I do in this situation is put high beams on (not flas), but on, moved to the left, and slow right down so that stopping, or swerving to avoid is relatively easy.
    And do the looking for both of you since the oncoming car drivers vision may be impaired.

I'm not sure there is much more a rider can do, except to say, be proactive and seriously alert. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks raven and Brmmm,

Some good hints which I will put into practice.

Cheers Jeremy

8. Good system of safety .
    Following a car closely is safe if in this case you still move to the lh wheel track or further. If the two cars collide or the car you are following swerves left, you can also go left quite easily to avoid being involved.

And yes, never flash your lights, hit the hi beams so the are 'on' beforehand.

Good call on both counts IMHO.