Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Mac question for the experts

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I've inherited a Core 2 Duo iMac, with 1gb of ram and a 160gb drive. It's an ex-school machine, with OS-X 10.5.8
    I've turned off all the proxy malarky, because it doesn't need it at home.
    So, Firefox buzzes striaght out to the 'Net and does its thing
    Safari does nothing.
    When I go into the Safari preferences, the section under Advanced where you would tweak with proxy settings is greyed out.
    I understand that Firefox gets its proxy (or not) information from general System Preferences, but I seem not to be able to change the default proxy setup for Safari to turn off its own settings
    Even when I log in as root user, I can't change anything, but, bizarrely, THEN safari works perfectly.
    And, needless to say, Mac OS uses Safari as the default method of checking for and installing updates, so that part of the system also doesn't work.
    Is this fixable, or do I have to do a major ransack on this machine. And, if so, can you BUY a DVD with the Mac OS on it so I can do a complete re-install??
    (I know I can't upgrade to the latest OS because that needs a minimum of 2gb of ram)

2. Firefox uses it's own Internal settings for the proxy, Different from those defined in the system settings for Safari & Chrome.

Grab yourself a Install disk & reinstall the system. There will be all kinds of garbage on there from the school. You don't need a serial number or anything. Just grab a Leopard/Snow Leopard disk off someone who has a Mac and just start fresh.

The machine could also have tracking, remote management & report back to base stuff on it. No good if your looking @ pr0n :D
  3. What hyper says, clean reinstall of the operating system and corresponding disk format.
  4. thanks guys :)

5. If you go into the proxy setting straight from the browser the settings may still be locked.

Go into Preferences - Network, and in the bottom left corner should be a padlock which you click on to enter your password to be able to make changes. If you unlock that then go into Advanced you should find the proxy settings available.

On the other hand maybe they've locked it down more permanently for school use, in which case do as the other said and wipe it and start fresh.
  6. The answer may also lie in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist file..

But digging into those sort of things is not without risk.. most of the network related items should be able to be configured using the "networksetup" command line utility..

I'm not sure what your appetite for messing around with those sort of things is though :)
  7. Rosco has the answer, Safari uses the system settings for it's proxy info. Turn off the Proxy in system preferences and you're all good.

Have to agree with @Hypervisor though, start from a blank slate, much nicer that way.
  8. If its from a school there's most likely some mcx settings left over which control different prefs on the machine.
    Look in "about this Mac" (system profiler) under management to see if its been managed. If so you might need to go in with terminal and delete the mcx cache, easier than reinstalling the system. I can't remember off hand where this is, I'll check tomorrow.
  9. thanks everyone for the number and quality the responses

I'm organising a copy of OS-X 10.6 and making a fresh start

Supplementary to, how do you, or can you, upgrade the RAM on these white-case iMacs? There appears to be no plate you can unscrew to get to where the RAM goes, as with other computers (like laptops)????
  10. Ram is upgradable to 4 gig if you google a how to its very easy
  11. ta muchly, I knew you'd know
  12. I also got an ex-school Macbook (OSX10.5) and the prefs and permissions are still limited.
    I used a OSX10.6 disk to upgrade but at no point in the process was there an option available for a clean install - it just goes straight into the upgrade and keeps the existing settings. Is there a way around this?
    Alternatively, how to get around the permissions/privileges lockout.
    At present the only network access is via a dropbox folder.
    (sorry for hijack)
  13. not a hi-jack at all, as far as I'm concerned, it's right on the topic

what annoys me is that I had another ex-school iMac, an older PowerPC version but I got this one because it was an Intel model and I could upgrade Flash for the grandkids to play games (the PowerPC one wouldn't).

The Flash bit works fine, but everything else is a nightmare.

So, Mac gurus, is there a button you press to invoke a complete wipe/replace install instead of a 'copy over and leave everything the same' "upgrade"??
  14. If you want a clean install use Disk Utility (its on the install disk) to reformat the Hdd.
  15. Have you tried running Linux on it? I'm running Linux Mint 14 on an old MacBook Pro at work, and it works well except for the WiFi (I'm using a cheap Asus WiFi adaptor that works nicely).
  16. And so it begins
  17. All done: 2gb of RAM, and a clean install of 10.5.6', followed by all the updates and everything's working as it should. The only fly in the ointment is that I can't find a version of iPhoto compatible with such an old version of OS-X.
  18. Shouldn't it "just work?"
    Insert cheap shot smiley here.
  19. [​IMG]

... although it turned out that there were proprietary drivers available for the WiFi, so now everything Just Works (TM). And the machine is subjectively a lot faster than it was when loaded with OSX.
  20. heh... I'm a confirmed linux (#!) user myself Duncs, it's just that this sort of discussion tends to end up in tears.