Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A little Help would be awsome...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Dionology, Jun 22, 2008.

1. im only 160 cm tall and 70kg and have been looking for a bike since last year, with 5,000 to spend i got a few options, i've narrowed it down to a few bikes that im interested in and im open to any suggestions. The bikes being considerd are the Honda CBR 250 and the NSR 250, Kawasaki Ninja ZX250 and the Kawasaki 250 Eliminator, any help would be great :grin:

2. The best help you can get is to go into some bike shops and (if you can't test ride) sit on the bikes. You'll know which one is right for you. Everyone has a different opinion on these things - and yours is the only one that matters in this case :)
  3. Looks like your after a 250 sports bike looking at your final four...

The Honda CBR250 is an awesome bike. Yes they are old, but if you are patient in your search there are plenty of good ones out there which will suit your needs, they have well built and proven engines, they are light and seating position low to the ground so I think it would suit your height.

I assume your aware that the Honda NSR 250 is a 2 stroke. If your a confident rider who likes a rush of high end power and not much down low in the rev range and can cope with the extra amount of maintenance than this would be a great bike. Great for someone who wants to blast through the twisties on the weekend.

The ZX250 is very similar to the CBR250. If it was me I'd go for the Honda, you just cant beat their reliability and it's no coincidence that every 2nd 250 you see on the road is a Honda CBR250.

Have you checked out the Honda VTR250?
    Also go through the bike review section - theres stacks of info on all these bikes.
  4. Do you currently have your L's?

If not, you have to get them by the end of June if you want to consider the NSR250. As mention, it is a lightweight 2-stroke powerhouse. Not allowed for learners under the new LAMS regulations in Victoria.

Although, it does open your choices up a little more.

+1 on the VTR

(LAMS list)
  5. +1 ramjet
  6. also +1 on the VTR250....and no I don't work for Honda :LOL:
  7. I would say Suzuki across, my bias, but has a 770cm seat, the kawasaki zzr250 has a 760 cm seat or gpx250 seat 745cm

But if you are short, go for a low seat bike, like the cbr250 or yamaha zeal or zxr250 all 735 cm the newer fzr250r also has a 735cm seat hight the one with the twin headlight has a 745cm seat but should still fit a short person

forget the 2-smokes (2strokes) fast but nightmares to operate, most are thrashed and probably need an engine rebuild
  8. Check out the website in my sig below for a quiz on what bike meets your requirements and a database of bike info.
  9. The website has the wrong info for the Suzuki Across, it is 45 hp/34 kw, not 40 hp

45 hp/ 14.500 rpm, 25,5 Nm (2,6 kg-m)/ 10.500 rpm.

and the Suzuki GS500F has 47hp not 42hp, it didnt sound right for the 500 to have less hp than the 250, but only 2 more hp is quite weak, I guess it makes up for it in the torque 40nm to 25.5nm for the 250

i thought the quiz would narrow my bikes down to 2 or 3 not 34 but otherwise liked the site
  10. Spadas, the predecessor to the VTR250, are pretty low to the ground if you're willing to look after an old, trustworthy alternative. $5,000 is more than reasonable to find one in good nick.

Alternatively, I remember some discussion about skimming some material off bike seats to make them lower, which you may wish to look into.

Good luck with the hunt! :]
  11. Odd mix of options. Given the prevalence of faired sports bikes the Eliminator seems an odd inclusion - though there's a number of similar 250 cruisers that are also worth considering if that's the way you want to go.
    Avoid the NSR, although it's probably a fine bike it is probably the absolute worst choice to learn to ride on, and the introduction of LAMS means it'll likely be extremely difficult to sell later on.
    The ZXR250 and CBR250 are pretty much identical so a good example of either would be fine. The ZXR is often a lot cheaper though simply because every second learner seems to want a CBR250RRRRRrrrrrrr.
  12. some info for ya

my girlfriend is 5 foot 3 inches/52 kg - Munchkin on 2 wheels! bless her.. xo

Anyway, the only bike that we were both happy with for size, handling, comfort and safety (ie - her feet can touch the ground) was the GPX 250 - just perfect.. especially an older one (mine is a 1998) as the suspension is just that little bit softer through being well run in! They are such a reliable. lilght and cheap bike, no probs getting one with a few KM's on it.

Good luck : )

13. Thanks guys for all the responses so far :grin: , it's givin me a lot to consider, especialy with the NSR and how it will be harder to learn on and to sell it with the new laws in place :mad: .

I dont have my Ls yet but im planning on getting them in the following months, also will take a closer look at the VTR and the GPX they both seem like good bikes also.

The reason i looked at the Eliminator was i saw a friends with an after market exauhst and it was also quick, but im more leaning towards the Honda CBR, again thanks for the responses so far, a big help :grin:

and also, are there any other bikes above 250cc worth considering?
  14. The best options would be either the Suzuki GS500 or the Kawasaki ER-5.

If you prefer a fully-faired bike there is the GS500F, though unlikely you'd find one under 5k. There's also the Kawasaki GPZ500, which is basically a faired ER-5, though they're not all that common so may be hard to find.
  15. thanks, yeah i had a look at the Suzuki GS500 and the Kawasaki ER-5, both great looking bikes and the ones i found are out of my price range :( .

Im just curious, how much of a difference does the model year on the CBR's make :? , is there any particular one to look out for? and also i had a look at the HONDA VFR400, is that anygood?
  16. The VFR400 isn't learner approved, only the RVF400 is - which is why the VFR is so much cheaper.

With the CBRs there is a big difference between the R and RR - but even though the RR was sold here new until 99-00 production actually ceased in '96. '90-'94 build RRs are unrestricted, '94-96 build bikes had reduced compression and ignition timing to restrict power to 40hp due to Japanese regs.
  17. my mistake, i found that RR on a CBR tends to be a Fireblade, is there a great difference, i know there is in price but what about the bike itself.

also i have found a Kawasaki ZZR 250 being sold at a car yard, its as traded its done about 39,000 kms and its $2000, problem is i've been warned by alot of people that bikes like this, having low kms and being pretty cheap have usualy had the engines trashed. :?

Would it still be a good starter bike even if the engine has been a little trashed?, i would be planning on having it for a few years.
  18. The CBR250RR has a different rear swingarm, different frame, different engine, and different brakes to the CBR250R.

Depending on the year of the ZZR 39,000kms sounds quite reasonable. Even if thrashed those engines are still usually good for at least twice that mileage before giving serious problems (providing maintenance isn't neglected).

Chances are being a caryard they may just be selling it cheap to get rid of it quickly, they've probably already made their money on whatever car the previous owner bought. I reckon it'd definitely be worth a look, but as with any used bike if you're not confident in finding problems yourself find/pay someone who can. There are professional bike inspection services in some places, failing that most bike shops would probably take a look at it. It's money well spent if it saves you spending 2k on a dud bike.
  19. thrasher

I had the same dilemma with my GPX - It had done 41 thousand km's and I just had the feeling it had been hammered by the previous owner, but it was all I could afford, so went for it and so far so good. Jee, I have even starting revving it out more than I ever thought I would.. Its just hard not to when you hit that 9 to 12 sweet spot range. From what I can tell, the engines are pretty resiliant and even if they have been taken to the cleaners and back on every gear change every time, still have a reasonalble life span if been well maintained. (But that price for a ZZR is really cheap, so be picky)

No reason why you cant get a full mechanics check on the bike and if it is really worn and torn, then you can move on to the next possible bargain?

You dont have to buy the first el cheapo you see. Its hard not to when your all excited, but these types of bikes are everywhere!

: ) Greg

20. ZZRs are good bikes. 39,000 isn't particularly low mileage, but you can expect an engine life of 80,000 to 100,000kms plus, if well looked after.