Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A little advice needed for the ACT MOST - Stopping

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Yetta, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I'm doing the MOST test this week and need a little advice on the stopping component.
    I can consistently stop within the distance needed, but about 40-50% of the time, my rear wheel leaves the ground. I cant tell what I'm doing differently between the wheel down/wheel up stops, so need some advice on how to stop it from happening.

Can anyone give some suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,
  2. Try to balance you breaking with more between front and rear. Set up and squeeze so the brakes come on smoothly. Maybe try to move your weight further back. Don't know perhaps someone else can add?
  3. In NSW Most they would pass you if you could do a stoppie without falling over
  4. You only need to be going 20kph. If your rear wheel is becoming unsettled you may be using to much rear brake. Try it with just the front brake then slowly add more rear each time you do a practice stop.

If you are braking hard the rear will lift off the ground but at 20kph this should be very controllable.

Get out to EPIC sometime this week and practice in the carpark behind the main stand. The MOST test is marked out here.
  5. Hi, thanks for the advice. I've gotten a few tips, from weight back, to more relaxed arms.... I'll give them a shot.
    I've had a closer look at the MOST guide and it doesn't mention an instant fail for what I'm doing... which was what I was worried about; so maybe it'll be fine.

6. Hah, the bloke at my MOST on a TTR250 traily was doing them unintentionally throughout the practice runs of the quick brake section. On knobbies, too! Good brakes. My drum brakes couldn't cut it though. :LOL:
  7. Well, it's all good. I did the test today and passed with zero points :grin: