Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A little accident in the carpark

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by theeICEMAN, Apr 29, 2011.

1. So...I've been riding for about a month now...

Yesterday....I was in an INDOOR shopping centre carpark....with those type of 'smooth' concrete ground. To add to that it was raining outside so it was wet inside as well.

I think I was going maybe just 30-35 on a straight, as I was coming towards a corner and a hump infront of me, I applied my rear brakes. I felt the rear of my bike swirve out to my right, (it was like I was going sideways for sec) and at the time honestly I didnt know what the **** to do, in my head was "I needed to slow down" so I THINK I mistakenly applied the front brakes, and boom, there I was on the ground....

I was thinking, what should I have done to prevent this?
    Because I know if I added a little bit of throttle, I would of swirved less and hit the hump infront of me harder? or If I actually put both my legs down it would of helped stablise the bike?

I'm alright, but my bikes handlebars are fked? its not 'un-aligned', like in order to ride straight I gotta keep the handlebars to the right a little.
  2. What bike do you ride?

Less rear brake (much less, I hardly ever use mine at all on my sportsbike) and go slower in slippery, wet, underground car parks.

If any brake locks up, let it go and reapply gently.

Handlebars - get someone to hold the front wheel straight and twist on the handlebars - they'll probably straighten up.
  3. GPX250

thanks for your advice
  4. BTW - the reason I asked "which bike"...

On a cruiser, back brakes are more inportant - on a sports type bike - much less so.
  5. If your lucky you might have just tweaked the trees out of alinement or your bar mounts,
    or if your unlucky your bars or bar mounts are bent.Re the skid,first port of call is not identifying how slippery the surface was and taking that into acount,next is leting off the brake to recover rear traction,once the wheel is back turning it will straighten ou and you reaply the brake.Thats not to say you should have been using the front brake as well,with more experiance you could have steered into the slide while comming off both brakes and when it sraighten reaply the brakes.Mate it takes seat time to cope with this stuff,it happened to all of use and at any time will happen again,car parks are scary places
  6. Your not riding to conditions...rain... slow down.
    You doing 30-35 INDOORS in a "guess" 8km-10kph speed limit .

you know your a learner with limited skill.
    You know the texture of the concret is smooth and slipery.
    You know its 10kph speed limit.
    You know its raining.

Front brake ..brake brake ...doesn't matter you were going to do down anyways as soon as your entered the shopping center ,when your not riding to conditions.
  7. first gear, use clutch and throttle to go at low speeds, apply a slight about of front brake prior to the corner and ease it around without brakes.
  8. you were going far too fast.
  9. There is your first problem. That seems much too fast for an INDOOR shopping centre carpark. People will step out in front of you at any time. 20Km/h is a much more appropriate MAXIMUM speed in a car park. Any car park really.

Ridden a lot slower to begin with. There is often lot of oil impregnated into car park concrete, and if it is smooth concrete, it can get very slippery. Use your brains a bit more.

Also, from 30 to 35 Km/h you should have been using both your front and rear brakes, unless you already thought the concrete was extremely slippery, in which case you should have been travelling slower. You needed a lot more rear brake to slow you down than the concrete and your tyres could support. Less braking using both brakes would probably have worked fine, in a straight line, even on a slippery surface.

However, once the rear slipped out, if you had put weight on the right hand footpeg and released the rear brake gradually, so that the rear didn't flick back into alignment but came back in smoothly, you could have straightened the bike up successfully. I tend to lift my weight off the seat when recovering from a rear slip as well, since it disconnects my body from the bike, so I don't get thrown around and can actively balance the bike. Then you should have used a more gentle application of the rear brake to come to a gradual stop. You probably shouldn't try to turn while doing this, just brake hard enough to avoid running into whatever is in front of you. Always use your rear brake, and only your rear brake, when slow riding and/or on very slippery surfaces.

You have a death wish, don't you? Or at least you like falling down.

You also seem to want to break your legs, bugger your knees, or sprain your ankles. Keep your damn feet up on the pegs until you stop, and ride the bike properly. You lose about 90% of your control when you take your feet off the pegs.

You start out with a bag of luck and no skills. If you are fortunate you will have gained some skill before you run out of luck. You used a chunk of luck this time, because you didn't hit anyone or anything else, or break any bones, or do much damage to the bike. Use what luck you have left wisely.
  11. For most bikes 30km is too fast to be using back brake only....my guess would be that you realised it wasn't slowing the bike down quick enough and pushed too hard with the right foot, locking the rear. At that speed you need to use the front as well.

Also I can't think of any indoor car park I have been in where 30 - 35km would be a suitable speed, particularly if there's water on the surface.

Good luck, hope there is not too much damage.
  12. They has to be enough energy stored to generate a highside,30ks and a tiny bit sideways I doubt would do it,although when it happens its ammasing how strong the flick is,only had it happen once on an MX track and I got some elevation off the seat before a grabbed the bars hard.With lower clipons on the blacktop it would have been sky time
  13. Fair points Phoenix.
  14. You had an SR. Try not to do it again.
    Technique and riding to the conditions will usually help.

Also, dont ride too fast in indoor carparks.