Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A (literal) milestone for the bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Metric measurement is the way we go, but today on the way to work the old Hornet turned over what for us old guys used to be a mystical figure, 100,000 miles, or 160,934 kms.

2. If you don't mind me asking, any major mechanical stuff replaced in that time apart from chains sprockets and tyres? 100000 miles is a bloody long way, I'm curious how hard it's been on the bike.
  3. Good question

I've replaced front and rear wheel bearings once

Steering head bearings once

I replaced the shock/spring with a second-hand unit (brand new was way too expensive and the replacement was only 30,000kms old)

Reconditioned the front forks (but still has stock springs).

Replaced the rear disc (not many people wear out a rear disc :LOL:)

Replaced the fuel tap last week

That's about all, I think

At 150,000kms I had the valve clearances etc checked, they replaced one shim and adjusted two others

Considering the mileage it's been a pretty economical hobby.....
  4. That's bloody impressive :)
  5. Still got some more in it yet, Hornet. I know of a CBR600F with 220,000k+ on it.
  6. just imo, but with the exception of engineering and physics applications and calculations, imperial is a much more usable and suitable measurement system for everyday purposes - particularly with respect to distances. I quite prefer it.
  7. milestone? its a honda :p Congrats on the trouble free riding i'm sure there is plenty more the girl yet.

P.S. go metric! From an engineering point of view imperial is just a headache, especially with forces etc...
  8. Hornet, I've mentioned it a few times now, but my 18 month ownership of a '98 Hornet 600 was inspired by you. Unfortunatley it's not my kind of bike so I sold it, but I suspect it would have followed your lead. It was a great bike and the only modern reliable bike I ever had, on which it was easy to translate long hours into long distances (unlike my slow old bikes). Great bike! (And to everybody else, you can easily get one for $3k now - great value if you're poor and into I4s)
  9. Well done & congrats Paul! May I ask how many of those 100,000 miles you have put on? From indications above I gather you may have been the first owner? How long did it take you to put on the distance?

I'm just a weekend rider (having a company car for the job - poor me :(), and can't imagine how long it would take me to put on such a distance!

Go Hornet!
  10. Thanks all :) :)

I bought the bike second-hand, actually, in March '05, with 54,900 kms on the clock. So I've done a tad more than 100,000 kms in 6 and a bit years, but included in that time is a cumulative 6 months when either I was injured or the bike was off the road and I couldn't afford to repair it.

I've done pretty much everything with it, and as I say when people ask about bikes and mileage, if you get them serviced religiously (had to say that :LOL:) they should last forever.

My longest day trip was 1228 kms, but a loop up to Singleton and back down the Putty, or back through the top of Sydney is over 600kms, and that's a pretty normal Saturday ride when the weather is good, of course.

On balance, though, I'm just getting started; I have a friend here in Wollongong with a ZZR-1100 which he bought new, which now has 285,000kms on it, and it looks as good as the day it rolled out the door!!
  11. Good one Paul.
    It should last a lot of years at that rate.
    I did 53,000 Kays in 2.5 years on the Bird before I had my wings clipped. And that was only weekend fun.
  12. Absolutely, it's not hard to rack up the kilometres!! And I'd rather be doing that sort of mileage on a bike than in a car, that's for sure.
  13. it's only a country mile mate.
  14. true, true, many of them have been :LOL:
  15. I did 20,000km of weekend riding on the Hornet in the first six months, before I got the SR back on the road. While nothing will ever replace winding (not twisting) roads for me, there's something special about setting your brow to the horizon and just pushing and pushing the kilometres.

16. 100,000 miles is a big hit on one bike. How many years did that take to accomplish?
  17. March '05 to October '11 with about 6 months lost to crashes and injuries in that time. It still has a couple of scars, but even if one day I'm rich enough to buy a new, or even newer, bike, I'll keep it. I already have a closet full of 'I wish I'd never sold THAT bike' regrets...
  18. Nice work.

Ever replaced the cush drive? Or is that considered an expendable item like chain/sprockets. EDIT: Rubber damper in the cush drive...
  19. No I haven't, I've checked it a couple of times when replacing the rear sprocket, but it seemed ok and still pretty 'rubbery' when I saw it last.

I'd like to think that if I do get another bike that I will be able to do a sympathetic but thorough 'rebuild', for want of a better word, and that component would be one of the many I'd replace.
  20. Awesome Paul!
    Bikes want to ride not say still I say...

I got my TDM in March one week after a mate picked up his Vstar650..
    I've since cracked 15K and he's just hit 3k...
    We're chalk and cheese riders...:LOL:

Having said that, it's been 7 days since my last ride due to life getting in the way and I'm withdrawing!
    But I have Thu free at this stage so I'm getting out there!