Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A learner bike that I can live with?<not sus

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Maplesyrup, Apr 19, 2009.

1. I want a bike that I can ride while im learning the road, but will continue to use and love after the learning curve. I like the look of sport bikes so thats my field of interest. I like the idea of a 125-150 like the rs aprilla, nsr, cagiva mito but not sure how reliable they are. I can find my way round a 2stroke but I would like doing it every week end. Or am i better of with a 250 or bigger?
    Thanx to all

2. Have yoy had any experience riding two Strokes before? I find they are not really ideal learner bikes due to the style of riding and problems with a lack of understanding when it comes to maintenance.

I had a mate that used to ride an early Aprilia RS250, loved it too bits and religiously had it serviced. He had never ridden a 2 Stoke though and when we started noticing problems I went for a ride with him to work. Turns out he would be in top gear coming off the freeway and would compression brake all the way down the off ramp until the lights (Around 400 Meters) where he would change down. At the closed throttle position , the engine is receiving little lubrication, only as much as idle would require. The engine was, however, spinning much faster than idle, ergo, Oil starvation.

It was an honest mistake but does highlight the small things that can make a big impact on two strokes, and they are the things that often go overlooked. Four strokes, whilst not nearly as entertaining or anti-social, are far easier to learn on due to the ease of maintenance and similarity to a cars operation.
  3. WARNING: Following opinion may be biased.

I'd peg the two-strokes as 'temperamental' a far as care goes. In other words, they don't suffer neglect wll, as some four-strokes can. They need their two-stroke oil topped up every 500km or they'll seize (costs $10~20), and new piston/rings every 12-ish thousand kays (cost ~$100 posted from the UK). If you thrash it a lot, then expect to have to do those things more often. The power valve is also an integral maintenance point, wanting some love (clean and lube) every 4000km.

If you're prepared to do that stuff yourself owning a 2T should be pretty hassle-fee in regards to mishaps. You've also got to let the engine warm up for a few minutes before you take off, or risk seizing. Remember that these are race-derived bikes, and that maintenance is the premium for performance.

End note? They need regular maintenance, which is fairly basic. They're light and easy to handle. They're fun to ride.

Cheers - boingk
  4. The other small reminder is that not all 250 2 strokes are learner-legal.
  5. I learned on and rode a 250 two-stroke as my first bike, back in 1974. But I doubt it was a labour-intensive and highly-strung as the modern two-stroke of the same capacity.

As boring as it may sound, a four-stroke 250, or even a LAMS 400 - 650 is really a better bet....