Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A guide to twisties

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by SIKKO_X2, Jun 28, 2015.

1. G'day guys,

I have been riding for a year or so and I am keen to start going for rides through the twisties. I'm located in Melbourne and have found plenty of threads on places to go.

What I was wondering is what else do you guys do to prepare for a day in the twisties?
    When trying a new area, how do you navigate and stick to your route? Or do you just go with the flow?
    Any particular tools etc. that you recommend bringing along?

Any info or experiences that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Watch the video "A twist of the wrist", then do a careful run through the twisties checking for fresh, debris or stones, then do them repeatedly, getting more familiar each time and applying the tips from the video. Just my thoughts anyway...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Make sure your bike is mechanically prepared and maintained.
    Tyres - tread and air pressure. Chain - clean and correctly tensioned. Brakes, suspension & engine.
    Once you are out there, it's pretty much just you and your ride buddies.
    If your bike is ready then it's just up to you.

As for where and how, do you have friends to ride with.
    If possible, someone who's been there before is really handy.
    Otherwise see if you can tag along on someone else's ride to get to know the land a little. Like any of the rides posted in the events thread.
  5. Make sure you're in a good head space and take it easy to begin with.
    Work with the bike, not against it.
    Above all, enjoy the ride and resist the temptation to overthink every bend.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. In addition, I like to rough out a route on Google maps before I leave home, then allow myself to intentionally 'get lost', knowing my GPS will guide me home when I'm done.
    That's how I've come across some of the best side roads in the St Andrews, Kinglake, Whittlesea, Panton Hill and Hurstbridge region, so far.

I only carry a basic 1st aid kit, water, puncture kit (tubeless), snacks and engine oil. So far, so good.
    When I see a nice view, I stop and admire it, take a photo and think how lucky I am to be here. Simple, really.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Suggest if you have a free Saturday to get out on one of Uncle GregUncle Greg 's rides. Good start for those new (or not so new) to the twisty stuff. Going in a group (or at least with one other) allows others to look out for you too, and give some feedback. I would not recommend going it alone on your first few rides.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Good on you SIKKO_X2SIKKO_X2 no turning back now!
    where have you mostly been riding over the last 12 months??
    Depending on who I am riding with I take a puncture kit and sometimes a ripsnorter first aid kit that really is a tad excessive (I think of it as my talisman). Wet weather gear unless your gear is waterproof.
    But most importantly bring along your sense of fun and adventure. Small rides with lots of stops isn't a bad thing either.
    Ride to your ability not those that you go riding with...that's why one of Uncle GregUncle Greg 's rides are a great starting point as suggested ^^^.
    If you do go on your own, maybe don 't venture too remotely to begin with. A little often will get you confident and posting up some great pics in no time...if you can bear to stop to take them that is ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. if you don't have a gps print out a map with your route marked and stick it to your tank. treat your first trip as a sighter and take it easy. don't do the St Andrews Kinglake Rd or the spurs until you've had a few gentler runs somewhere else. also try and time your run to avoid traffic.
  10. Thanks for all of your help guys! I have mostly been doing commuting rides with the occasional leisurely cruise along Beach Rd - but I want to get into the twisties and have some fun in the corners.

I will definitely keep an eye out for Uncle GregUncle Greg 's ride days - look like a great way to get started.
  11. Personally, I reckon you need to site a stretch of road half a dozen times in each direction before upping the pace and playing around with technique. And start slow. I remember an interview with Kevin Schwartz in which he said he always did his first warm up laps as slowly as possible so that he could absorb as much as possible about the track, the surface and to get his mind into the right place. Then he would gradually increase the pace.
    Even if you aren't out there to race, I think it's a good system.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. titustitus-good point.
    Agree with the Saturday rides with Uncle Greg-I haven't been able to make it to one as yet, hopefully one day! I just did a week long ride from the North East of Vic to Gippsland. If I had the time Id ideally would've got out more on the bike, I had done some mountain road work which helped me prep for it. Knowing a lot of the roads seemed to assist also.
  13. Other than the obvious making sure you and your bike are in good mechanical order etc etc, plan your route, study it, memorise any turnoffs etc before you leave. Doing this means it's one less thing you'll be thinking/worrying about while you're out riding. Pack the map or GPS (shudder) on your bike, also take plenty of water etc etc.

If it's the first time you've ridden these roads take it easy. Be prepared to pull over and let other road users go by. Don't plan too big a day. 200km max, remember you're taking it easy. Given you go with others don't get sucked in to riding above a level you're comfortable with.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. ^excellent points there!
  15. Definitely stay focused. Running wide on a corner and going cross country on a road bike is not fun. Well ok, if you manage to come out still upright you get to laugh at how stupid you were, but I still don't suggest it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. All great points, thanks guys!

I found a link to a route in another thread which I would like to give a try: Google Maps

I live in Prahran so I can cruise down High St almost the whole way to the beginning.

Hopefully the weather is good at some point in the next few weeks so that I can get down for a slow ride to get to know the area.
  17. These are roads that the Saturday Epic, or Sunday rides have covered.
    Maybe try heading out on the route you have marked, and then do a further loop to the south and return to the suburbs on Wellington Rd.
    Altenatively, if you want to post a Dandenongs Ride in the events thread then you might be able to get some others to do it with you, or possibly lead.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Not sure how useful or practical this advice is for you, but my first track day helped a lot in knowing just how capable the bike is in the corners and was a great help in riding the twisties after that. I'm not saying that you should go fast on public roads, but knowing your bike's capabilities does help to avoid the "I'm not going to make this corner" panic which can lead to all sorts of nasty side effects.
  19. #19 twistngo, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    if you turn right at the lights in Boronia it cuts out a bit of the suburban roads. thought about how to get home? ps its a testing ride. pps its better to do it early on the weekends to avoid traffic. ppps parts of some of those roads will be wet pretty much through to spring, so be careful
  20. I reckon that'll do quite well to begin with. Generally fairly low speed limits but that's not a problem at this stage.
    These roads are moderately busy with car traffic, so keep that in mind on overtakes and blind corners.