Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A good reason to spend $8 million?

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by Slow Coach, Mar 14, 2014.

1. http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/2014/03/14/11/25/vic-to-host-world-first-road-trauma-study

More than 400 serious crashes will be examined as part of a world-first Victorian study aiming to slash road trauma by one-third.

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) will spend $8 million over the next three years studying crashes with serious injuries to better understand how such accidents occur.

The aim is to slash road trauma by 30 per cent by 2022.

Monash University Accident Research Centre experts, backed by a global research team, will examine about 5000 pieces of information from each crash.

Assistant Treasurer Gordon Rich-Phillips told reporters the study would provide a level of understanding seen in the aviation sector but never applied before to road trauma crashes.

He said the findings would guide the government in deciding how to prevent crashes and cut the cost of serious injuries to Victorians, which topped $1 billion in 2013.

Police Minister Kim Wells said for every person killed on Victorian roads, about 20 people were seriously injured, and most crashes were preventable.

A member of the global research team, Professor Ray Bingham of the University of Michigan, said the results of the study would be "agenda setting" and followed by road safety agencies worldwide.
  2. Geez, Sam Cockfield kept that one quiet.

Does anyone have any other references to the study? Construction? Rules? etc

I suspect they will finally learn that speed is not the biggest killer on the roads... but don't celebrate just yet. If it's inattention (as other studies have suggested) then what are the likely countermeasures going to be?
  3. Bring back the red flag laws...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. #4 titus, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    If it's set up to find that speed is the greatest killer, then that's what they'll find.

But cynicism aside, the countermeasures will be whatever the latest fashion is in the international road safety community. I'd guess it will be technological intervention.

....and judging in the radio interview they just took part in, that sounds a lot like what they are expecting to find (tech solutions)
  5. No, I would suggest we skill up and don't crash at all. Pretty simple really.
  6. #6 simon varley, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    8 mil to tell us to slow down even more?

bet they end up making it compulsory for new cars to be 5 star. They've already started with compulsory ESC/DSC
  7. you would hope that the study would come out with some useful information, such as which intersections regularly have crashes or red light runners, or even where bad road conditions are common.
    of course there are going to be people talking about speed being a key factor in crashes, any crash on a twisty mountain road where a rider comes off a corner could be attributed to speed.

i wonder if anyone will compare the results to sydney in relation to filtering
  8. nope. It's TAC and MUARC. The end result will be to tell us to slow down and only buy 5 star cars. Guaranteed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. #9 JJFAST, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    Sounds like they have the conclusions already and just need a study to match the desired worldwide outcomes, then they'll have a worldwide tax for money to flow out of Australia into some globo groups coffers.

Don't tell its the pay per km (tracking devices) in disguise, but then funnel the money out of Australia.
    Similar to Gillard and Swan giving the IMF 11 Billion, then turning around a week later, saying they are 6 Billion short on the budget and sack 30000 council workers instead.

If they actually spend the money on improving roads and crash zones, I'll never post again on any forum ever.

These pay per km Pollies, need to be shouted down and then stomped on figuratively.
  10. Maintaining or improving roads and crash zones is not a TAC function.

Functions of TAC: s 12 TAA 1986
    Functions of Roads Corporation s 87 TIA 2010.

11. At first inspection it would appear the agenda is already set. Why does TAC have to keep paying all these silly tax payers when they crash? The government is looking to protect their dividend.

I thought Muarc was already doing a study for VicRoads?
  12. You have more faith than me.... I suspect they will choose to investigate accidents that are likely to suit their agenda. ie... Numnutz misses corner at 50 over.

@Justus@Justus the function of the tac isn't to make a profit or vilify riders either..... Doesn't stop em. We all know its not just the TAC on a mission here they frequently team up with muarc, vicpol and vicroads.... Using each others bullshit to support their latest push.... It's easy to talk about them as if they're up each other.... I mean as if they're intertwined... Cause they are...
  13. #13 gunissan, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    Just because I could, I Googled "Professor Ray Bingham" And came up with this:-

"Dr. Ray Bingham is a research professor in the Social and Behavioral Analysis Division of the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, in the Department of Psychiatry of the University of Michigan School of Medicine, and in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education of the University of Michigan School of Public Health. He received his doctorate in human development from the Pennsylvania State University in 1993. Dr. Bingham's research covers adolescent development, with a focus on adolescent driving and alcohol use, longitudinal research methodology, and multivariate statistics. He has utilized various theoretical approaches to examine psychosocial development, with particular attention to those factors that relate to driving risk and driving-related injury."

Any comments?

And WTF does he mean when using the wording "agenda setting"?
  14. You're right, I did have, when I thought it was going to be detailed analysis of 400 new crashes. I heard part of an interview which suggested they were going to to revisit 400 old crashes. In my view, this is potentially a problem and could skew the analysis.

Does anyone have access to the funding request etc., that explains the framework for the study?

Gunnisan, I don't see any issues with involving Prof Bingham. Michigan is also doing the naturalistic study of 100 motorcycles, so there might be some synergies there.
  15. #15 Justus, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Why tag me in a flippant comment.

Ask yourself how any insurer is able to fulfil its obligations if it does not make profit.

16. Gunissan covered it. The second MUARC and TAC were involved things went wrong.

They are not qualified to actually examine road or even vehicle factors. That expertise lies elsewhere. Similarly MUARC isn't a forensic crash investigation resource (although Michigan does have access to those skills).

Bottom line - they will look at behavioral issues and decide (once again) that behavioral change is needed. Then sight the effectiveness of tobacco excise increases as evidence of an effective counter measure (hence speed cameras).

Fixing thousands of kilometres of road which were constructed 30 and 40 years ago to low standards. Even a 1m shoulder would make a huge difference but the vote per $ ratio is too low. Increase penalties, introducing new ways of automatically (cheaply) detecting offenses (and fining for them) is a much more palatable option.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Excuse my snips!

The sections I left as a quote is what I fear. It seems that TAC/MUARC et al persist in ignoring training/skill and attitude as an important factor in achieving real results.

18. Err, well.... yes.

OK, Lost Wallet, what would you attribute it to?
  19. If you are ponying up eight mill, of course you have sorted out what answer you are going to get.
  20. rider skill, road conditions. what i mean is that the research will say 'rider was going too fast' rather than 'rider was inexperienced, underestimated corner, overestimated abilities, target fixated and ran wide'