Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A good read for beginners...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kurtis_Strange, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Thanks for that link. My partner did her level 1 course yesterday and the instructor told her a lot that went against both what my instructors had said and also what my road experience had taught me. It got to the stage where she was/is too nervous to venture on the roads as the rider. This website should hopefully give her the tips to get her confidence back.
  2. thats pretty good

i'm on Ls and riding a 250 honda cruiser (V25) :: a question/comment on countersteering -- i'm tending to pull on the highside bar more than push on the lowside bar - is that acceptable or should it definitely be a slight pushing on the lowside bar??
  3. Either will turn the bike, and that's want you want - whatever you're comfortable with.
  4. It goes without saying that if the left hand pushes forward the right has to pull back. I would suggest concentrating on your hands a little less. It's more important to focus on the road ahead and look through the corner. Your hands will do what they need to. Although the term counter steering comes up a lot in conversation, it's actually a very natural action that basicly happens by itself once you've had a bit of time on two wheels. If you had a bmx as a kid you've got it down pat. I fnd it's one of those (rare) think less, improve more kind of skills. If you are worried about your style, find an unpopulated bit of twities and practice concentrating on the push rather than the pull.

The only problem I can see is when entering a corner too fast, best pratice is to lean hard on the inside handelbar. This has the effect of hard countersteering, plus the bonus of leaning your weight into the corner. If you're leaning your weight into the corner the bike doesn't have to lean as much, giving you more rubber on the road. Again, if you're new to riding that's a lot to think about. Better in the early days to get the body position right, keep your head level and look where you want to go. If you relax, the rest will seem to take care of itself. :)
  5. Hi Thanks for that site
    I just got my L's last week and looking around for the right bike
    I was wondering if anyone can help me, im looking at getting a cbr250rr, i like the look, the weight im not too sure about yet.
    Is there any weight differences between the 250r and 250rr?
    Any advice please? im about only 160cms tall, small built.
  6. If anyone is having troubles with steering or confidence, I would definitely recommend doing the superbike school at Phillip Island or Eastern Creek.I have been riding for 2 years, and learnt more in the level 1 course last week than I have in the whole time ive been riding. Its made me feel a hell of alot more confident too, without gettin too cocky.But its definitely a good idea for beginners, and even experienced riders too. My mates been riding for 20 years and he reckons its taught him alot too
  7. id like to get some more ride time before doing a cornering course.. but im interested in doing one for sure... im just figuring out the whole counter steering thing, and find my biggest issue is having the confidence to dip my shoulder as i make the turn.. so it feels like im fighting it a bit.. something im only gunna get better at the more i ride the bike.. thanks for the link. :)