Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A GOOD Police news story

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by edgelett, Feb 13, 2007.

1. from adelaidenow.com.au

good to hear a bike theif is in court & someone's recovered their bike!

2. He wasn't charged with theft? :?

Possession of stolen goods?

3. I think "illegal use of a motor vehicle" covers that.

4. Wouldn't it be great if it didn't and he got charged with that little extra.

5. Oh come on guys, adding extra offences to lengthen his sentence is not something we should be hoping for.

... with any luck he'll get stabbed in his first week there, and us tax-payers will save $40,000 a year for whatever his gaol-term was :grin:

6. i think the longer sentence is better just incase he doesn't get stabbed, since im not a tax payer i don't need to worry about all that money stuff.

7. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

........you guys think he'll end up in jail! (yes jail, not goal :p )

8. A Suzuki 550 (GT?).....must have stolen that one from a museum.

9. i wasn't thinking if he will end up in jail or not, just didn't care jsut wanted more to happen to him.

10. :eek: Ktulu said gaol, not goal. Gaol is one of the correct spellings of a word for prison. :p

I would have expectd a theft charge as well. Maybe they couldn't prove he stole it, only that he used it. Seems like he may had already had a bit of gaol, if he was on bail. Perhaps he liked it?

11. Well, Ktulu did write "gaol", not "goal", which is, in fact, the correct spelling, unless you wholly subscribe to the American version of the original English word.

Sometimes it pays to read a little more closely before you go mouthing off about someone's use of the English language.

12. i don't think there is much point talking about or hoping for gaol or jail time. he'll get a suspended sentence and a 'please don't do that again' from the judge.

13. [quote="Cathar
    Well, Ktulu did write "gaol", not "goal", which is, in fact, the correct spelling, unless you wholly subscribe to the American version of the original English word.

Sometimes it pays to read a little more closely before you go mouthing off about someone's use of the English language.[/quote]

Totally correct. It annoys me when people always want to use the american spelling.

On topic, he deserves whatever he gets. Hopefully he gets some jail time and becomes someones biatch.

14. Glad to see SAPOL caught this guy, at least the bike owner will get his bike back . Unfortunatly in South Australia the legal system is soft . I doubt if he will get anything more than a slap on the wrist . Better lock up our bikes cause he will be looking for a replacment shortly . :twisted:

15. The Septics haven't spoken English since 1776

16. In Victoria, (apparently :p a mate of a mate told me *ahem*), even using a stolen vehicle you know is stolen still gets you a Theft of Motor Vehicle charge. Only difference is that if they genuinely think you didn't initiate the theft, it's up to the discretion of the investigating officer wether you appear at a Magistrates Court, or a diversion court. SA is maybe different.

17. Doesn't matter what crime you commit here, you always end up in the Magistrates court, then the harder you are to get along with/ the more you protest the charges the higher it goes, Disctrict court and Supreme court and so forth.

Also, if you have been caught driving a or being in a stolen car/bike (which can only be assumed by your smart ar$ed *ahem*) then you are a kn0b and you should goto hell and die. Thanks for listening scum of the earth. :evil:

On another note, you don't get charged with theft here when stealing a car/bike, even if they prove it, that is all wrapped up in "illegal use of" like Edgelett mentioned.

18. Hey Ktulu, :popcorn: regardless of the expose on Jail vs Gaol, :rofl: Hilarious:rofl:

19. Just to be a knob, Im pretty sure gaol refers to police lockup down at the station, and prison refers to hard time with a pole up your anus.