Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A friendly reminder re scooter security.

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by Duffman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. There has been a spate of scooter thefts in Perth in recent weeks.

I know its a generalisation but, all too often, scooter riders are very blase when it comes to securing their pride and joy. Scooters are popular these days and as such people know about them. They are small and light and many cane be carried by one person, so its dead easy for a couple of guys to walk off with one.

Rule number 1 - the "steering lock" IS NOT A LOCK. It is completely useless on its own. If this is your only "security" measure, then you are delusional.

Rule number 2 - get yourself a Xena (or equivalent) disc lock, preferably one with an alarm feature. These locks have a pin which goes through the disc and physically stops the wheel from turning. Most people stick these on the front wheel for ease of use. Personally I like to lock the back wheel because someone could easily lift the front wheel off the ground and wheel your bike on the back wheel, without any problems. If its locking the back wheel, combined with the steering lock on the front, makes it a little more difficult to wheel your bike.

Rule number 3 - at home, at night, seems to be the most common place scoots get pinched. Do not, if at all possible leave your bike in the street. Most scoots are small enough to enable people to hide it round the back or at least behind the front gate. Get a big Kryptonite chain and lock and secure the scoot to a pole/verandah post/railing/something solid. Alternatively, get yourself a ground anchor (Kryptonite do one for eg) and get that bolted into the ground so you have something to lock up to.

Rule number 4 - Shit happens. Sometimes there is nothing we can do about that. So get insurance. Dont be caught out with the mindset of "oh its just a cheap little scoot" because when it goes missing, you will be really annoyed. Scoots are cheap, so insurance is cheap, so theres no excuse not to cover it.

I raise this because a friend of mine just had her scoot stolen and she basically did everything wrong from my list above. SO i've just been round to her place to sort her stuff out and get her back on the roads.

Feel free to chuck up your security tips and hopefully some novice scooter riders will get the message before the worst happens to them.
  2. We live in very sad times when we have to spend so much just to protect our pride and joy from from people like that. That being said, I totally agree on all of these points. Especially the one about the steering lock. Mine got wrenched free not long ago and the only reason I still have my scoot is because someone interrupted them. BTW can anyone recommend an alarm system? I'm looking for a serious deterrent so something VERY loud would be a great starting point.
  3. ignitor alarms?
  4. Personally, I don't like insurence for little things. It's like carring a hanky around all the time just in case you get a blood nose.

Best thing for security is "out of sight, out of mind".

Thick cable locsk to trees/poles helps. Most scooters would have some storage for this sort of thing while riding.
    (Maybe if you park your scoot in the same place all the time (daily), you could leave the big heavy cable/Ubolt lock there overnight, instead of carrying around with you all the time).
  5. Great idea. Do you realise that insurance covers accidents as well, not just theft?

All this time I've been paying for insurance when I could have just hidden my bike and decided not to have accidents. Simple. :roll: :grin:
  6. Duffman, you’re right.
    Nothing like insurance for accidents.
  7. I bought a Kryptonie chain for my GF's Sachs City. She used to do the same thing, leaves it parked out on the street and all that. One day I showed her that even with the steering "lol" lock how easy it is, I lifted it by the front and wheeled it a few meters down the street.

Now its nice and "safe" in the yard area chained up to a cemented in pole.