Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A few questions...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by chani, Oct 22, 2006.

1. I read the bag thread, so one of my questions has been answered.

Where is the cheapest place in Melbourne or surrounding, to get Draggin pants from? I tried Peter Stevens & their website, but I don't want to have to wait for them(either way I'd have to order them) !! Unless I really have to anyway.

I plan on riding to Noble Park/Cranbourne next weekend, weather & having my bike back permitting, It will be my first freeway ride. From where I live in Kensington, the quickest & easiest way would be to go down Racecourse onto the Bolte then the Monash to Police Road. But as I've never been on a freeway I'm a bit scared!! Much less riding on the worst freeway in Melbourne.

I could go through the city then down Dande Rd, but there's too many traffic lights & I don't even like driving that way. I guess I could also go the Nepean, but if it's a warm day there will be idiot drivers everywhere.

So what do you think would be the best way to go? Or any freeway tips?

& lucky last, where's the best place to get nice ladies riding gear from? everywhere I've been it's full of guys stuff, with very little ladies selection.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: What are everyones veiws on riding with an ipod? I don't know if I want ot go out & get one, I love my music & it's weird to be out on the road without it. I don't think it's that safe, but at the same time when I drive I can't even hear myself think...

2. The Draggin Jeans warehouse might be a good place to go. :wink: Not sure exactly where it is but South Melbourne comes to mind.

As for hints and tips on freeway riding; keep calm, don't tense up and grip the bars too tight and just do what you know how to do. The things to focus on will be to maintain a straight line and keep within your lane. Make sure you keep a safe margin in front of you and let the rest of the world do it's thing.

I had a baptism of fire on my first bike when i had o ride it home in high winds and rain over the West Gate Bridge. I survived and everything since then was a cake walk. :grin:

3. mmm igot mine from mars lether in the city. for $150 but as you said there female range might suck. wasn't really looking at them :)

4. 196 Wells Street, South Melbourne,
    Tel. 9696 1622

Near the Park Street corner

5. Chani - i live in avondale heights (near Keilor) and commute to east burwood. If it is your first freeway shot i would recommend use the Eastern then drop down springvale road. my reasoning is that the eastern is a lot more gentle than the monash, less trucks and lane jostling. it is also heaps easier to pull over or get off if you need a break. Good luck, take it easy and you will do fine.

6. There have been pretty extensive discussions on the iPod question here before, so you should hit the Search function for that one. There's no real consensus, some love it, some avoid it. I personally would advocate leaving it for a little while until you have everything else under control and automatic, and even then keeping the volume low enough that you can hear screeching brakes or horns...

7. Make sure you tell "Lucky" or "Ben" that you are a netrider!
    They will give you a tidy little discount, and if you smile nicely a handful of stickers to go with it :wink:

8. I happen to be working just around the corner from the Draggins office and popped in to pick up a new pair of cargos at lunchtime. It's off Park St. between Kings Way and St. Kilda Road.

Netrider discount was a pair of cargos and a set of knee armour for $200 on a credit card.

I don't know if that's all that much cheaper than what you'd get in the shops... What's the retail?

9. Retail is about $229 these day's(a recent price increase), plus approx $20 for the knee inserts.