Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A different view of the MT-01

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hornet, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Amid all the adulation of Yamaha's MT-01, notably by journos who are "expected" to make all the right noises, British "Performance Bike" magazine (Aug '05) has a slightly different take!

MT promises

Standard bike all talk

'Maximum taste over maximum performance,' says Mr Tsuyoshi, Yamaha's product planning manager. 'My dream was to create a sports bike for a kind of full time enjoyment, right out of your garage.' Sounds great, if a little abstract, but has he met his own challenge?

Theoretically, the MT-01 is an R1-inspired machine powered by a monstrously torquey 1700cc V-twin. In reality it's a poor-handling, underwhelming cruiser whose only pretensions to being a performance bike are a handful of badly re-worked components nicked-off the R1.

In an effort to keep weight to a fulsome 260kg, it would appear that the R1's taut fork springs have been replaced with those of a ballpoint pen. Under-sprung and over-damped is never a nice combination, and it's worse when the front-end is as far from your hands and remote as it is here. High bars and an uncomfortable ironing board riding position conspire to make the MT-01 vague and difficult to manoeuvre.

Riding downhill, gearbox rattling in fourth, lining up for a gentle right-hander. Tip in, hit the lowest point before the road climbs up again, feel the suspension bottom out, then oscillate wildly into the opposite lane as the wheels fail to return to earth. Narrowly avoiding an oncoming car.

The MT-01 does have a certain style, maybe even a degree of 'taste', that a dedicated bike doesn't. Unfortunately, between them, the bulk-tanker handling and dog-lazy motor make the asking price of £10,000 smell the rotten side of ripe. Think of what else you could bolt together for that kind of money... DL
  2. I'll put that in the "I told you so file".

Big Fat Heap Of Crap.
  3. Just proves that bigger engine does not necessarily equal faster (or better) bike.
  4. The concept has potential but reading this (the first review I've seen I must say) I'd say they haven't pulled it off.

Be interesting to see how the rest of the MT series fares.
  5. It doesn't??
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  6. Harleys run bigger engines than most, 'nuff said really :LOL:
  7. I'll rather make up my own mind (given a chance of a test-ride, that is).
    When the TDM850 first hit the markets ('82?), the mags piled shit on it, simply because none of the so-called "testers" understood the thing.

For the cruiser guys it was too tall, for the "burners" it was too spongy and gutless, all that sorta stuff. It sure wasn't perfect, but it just couldn't be compared to any other standard group/ category of bikes around at the time. And it sold pretty well... overseas,not in AUS.
    Then came later versions, other manufacturers entered the game, and presto, a whole new genre of bikes was born.
  8. What genre does the tdm fall into in your opinion?
  9. Oops, first series TDM was '92, NOT '82 !!

What's commonly called "Enduro" nowadays.
    Trump Tiger/ BMW GS's/CapoNord/Navigator/ V-Stroms/ Pegasos/ Dominator/ MultiStrada/ the new Buell Ulyssees? etc etc
  10. AFRIKA twin and it's forerunner the XLV 750 along with the beamer were around quite a while befor the TDM came onto the market, wouldn't you agree, so maybe the genre was already established?
  11. Those 3 were more dirt-related/ dirt-grown, the TDM possibly the first of the look-alikes, but far more road-orientated. Todays soft-enduro.... unlike the AT and R80G/S which were the Globetrotter-machines.
    Where the AT/early GS's had their designated niche (and were built for that market), the TDM wasn't a sporty, it wasn't a tourer/ cruiser/ naked/MX/globetrotter/ or whatever...it had a real problem.

12. I don't think the BMW GS can be lumped in with this lot......how many of the others finish every Dakar? The GS is a REAL enduro ie designed to compete in enduros, the others just look like it.
  13. Has anyone here ever ridden/owned a XLV 750?
    It was a weird bike at the time (mid eighties) but for some reason I always feel like I have missed out on something by not trying this bike out.
  14. Owned no...ridden yes. I hired one in France a few years ago for a week. It was pretty good on the road as I recall, plenty of low down grunt and a pretty relaxed ride, if a bit mechanically noisy. On the dirt, even on graded tracks, it was terrible. Top heavy and.....well just plain heavy....
  15. BOT it sounds awefull that a bike that has the look of the bare minimalist style had to be compromised to get it 'DOWN' to a measly 260 kg.
  16. Near all Dakar bikes are specials (those at the front, anyway).
    The Dakar Rally is just another advertising-venue, nothing more.
    BMW pulls out of that costly exercise, KTM throws money at it and wins (replace names at will).
    Todays GS12s and 650s as they come off the showroom floor don't win rallyes, just as none of the others would. The closest REAL enduros would be the KTMs...
  17. I didn't say they WON every Dakar. I said they FINISHED every Dakar......Your statement that the Dakar "is just another advertising-venue, nothing more" shows you don't know much about the 75% of riders that are private entrants. It is still the toughest regularly run motorcycle (and car and truck), event in the world and simply finishing it is a major achievement. And KTM wasn't in the list. If it had been I would have excluded it too.
  18. Easy enough with enough entrants on the same bike, strength in numbers :)
    Bang on the money :D :D
    ...when the buggers could've had such a nice NetRider ride instead, without trying to bust their arses :LOL: :LOL:
  19. My point in posting the Performance Bike article was that the MT-01 has been tested by the major mags here already, and to a man they all hailed it as the "next big thing". PB examined it (not tested, in the classic sense, to be sure) from a sports bike standpoint and found it was mostly style not substance.
    I suspect it will sell by the boat-load in the US, struggle in Europe (fuel consumption) and struggle here, because we generally expect our machines to be as good as possible at all things, and it looks like this beastie doesn't cut it when it comes to sporty riding, huge engine notwithstanding.
  20. Maybe the Performance Bike mob didn't set the bike up that well? Those review loaner bikes get passed around like the salad at a christmas lunch, I wouldn't be surprised if the all the suspension settings had been screwed with (probably another bike mag trying to do wheelies)

or it could just be a crap bike.