Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National A different approach to reducing petrol prices

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by bkdu, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Thought this might best fit in here?!

Got this email today and - after reading it - thought this is actually a decent idea. Target one of the big distributors/sellers and make them sit on their over-priced product over a long period of time and they'll have no choice?! But it does require us as consumers to work together.

TO $1.00/Litre.

This was originally sent by Phillip Hollsworth, a retired Coca Cola executive.
    If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this winter,
    take time to read this, PLEASE.

Phillip offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy
    petrol on a certain day' campaign that was going around
    last April or May!

It is worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

We are going to hit $2.00/litre and it might go
    higher!! Want petrol prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action.
    The oil companies just laughed at last year’s action
    because they knew we would not continue to 'hurt'
    ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of
    an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT whoever thought of this idea, has come up with
    a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now, you're probably thinking petrol priced at about

$1.50 is cheap. It can only get dearer...and dearer unless
    WE do something about it.

Politicians pay nothing for petrol. Do not expect them to fight for you.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have
    conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre of petrol is
    CHEAP at $1.50, we need to take aggressive action to
    teach them that BUYERS control the market place...not sellers.
    With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action..

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket book by not
    purchasing their petrol! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying petrol.

But we CAN have an impact on petrol prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from BP,
    the biggest price-up driver company.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
    If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of BP petrol buyers.
    It's SO simple!

Now, don't wimp out at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
    millions and even BILLIONS of people!!

I am sending this note to 20 people.
    If each of you send it on to at least twenty more that's (20 x 20 = 400) .. And those 400 send it to at
    least twenty more (400 x 20 = 8000 ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the fifth group
    of people, we will have reached over SIXTY FOUR MILLION consumers.

20x20 = 400
    400x20 = 8,000
    8,000x20 = 160,000
    160,000x20 = 3,200,000
    3,200,000x20 = 64,000,000
    64,000,000x20 = 12,800,000,000
    That's 12.80 Billion people folks, who will have been contacted!

Unbelievable?? Do the maths and see for yourself!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 20 people. That's all!

I'll bet you didn't think we had that much potential, did you!
    Acting together we can make a difference..

If this message makes sense to you, then please pass it on.

It’s simple – send the message along to others and choose to not buy petrol from BP.

TWENTY FIVE POINT SIX BILLION people: Now THAT's people power.

LET'S JUST DO IT ! ! ! More power to you friend.
  2. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

waste of time... you can't get people to cooperate these days.
  3. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

WOW, what an awesome idea, how come we haven't thought of this before!?!?!?!?!?one
  4. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Whoever originally wrote that clearly has no idea how the oil/fuel industry works.

How do they propose people boycott BP if they live in WA - which sources virtually all of its fuel (regardless of brand) from the BP refinery at Kwinana. :roll:

Not buying from a particular brand store will only hurt individual servo owners, it won't have any significant affect on the refineries/parent companies, especially since most of their profits come from big contracts with transport and mining companies.
  5. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Surprisingly, I read it all the way through. Why do those emails have to be so laborious, as though building up to some great moment, such that while you read them you'e thinking, Just get to the point!
  6. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Ok, 2 things.

1) The population of the earth is: 6.7 billion at the moment.
    2) Wasn't this started a little while back by a Caltex executive having a bit of a laugh and trying to screw with one of his competitors?
  7. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

...many of whom don't buy petrol.

Of course, there are about 2 billion internet users*, so, to reach the target of 25.6B, we'll all get the email about 13 times each. And don't we all love spam.

8. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

i don't buy fuel from BP anyway
  9. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

well explain how i can boycott BP, i have a work car and a BP credit card for petrol !
  10. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Don't got to work, man...bring the whole system down!
  11. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Will not work Australians by nature are appathetic, we would rather complain than act. If we were serious we would put the tools down (all of us) have a sit down in the city and demand things change, ie fuel excise, carbon tax etc etc etc , It takes a society to change things not just the usual few demonstrators.
    Imagine if the whole country decided to act, every person. Anyway back to reality, we really don't care enough to do that
  12. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

If I had a dollar for every time this has been suggetsed ..... I'd be able to buy more expensive petrol :LOL:
  13. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Given it is the refinary that prepares all fuel for all locations in a given area, targeting one brand is likely to have nil effect even if everybody agreed to it. (I think this was mentioned early on).

Stick to a local independant station and get all your fuel from them. Get to know them be courteous and you will eventually be able to leave your helmet on, not be caught short if there is ever fuel strike again and be confident that you will be told if the reserves are low or other event that might lead to you picking up some dodgey fuel.

Much better value for money in the long run than just saving a few bucks on a tank.
  14. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Reminder: 38c/litre is stolen by the government, (plus GST?)
  15. Re: A different approach to reducing pretrol prices

Peak oil was in 2006, all the models I've seen suggest a strongly fluctuating price (which we've seen) from that point forward.

The real question is how long the production plateau will last (and that's when fuel will get really expensive).
  16. Don't care about the stupid numbers quoted, but rather was looking at it from the angle that boycotting one vendor would force them to lower prices, which in turn would force others to lower their prices.

Also, even if only a small number were to start this, next time it would be more, then more again ...

However, as someone mentioned, the broad slave reserves have been sheepised ... we're quite happy to stare into the hypno box and be told what to think, who to hate and what to buy rather than take action (I include myself in that last part).

Guess we deserve what we get?!

Sorry if this has been posted before ... hadn't seen it prior to this email myself.
  17. no-one's criticising you for posting it, it's just that, as noble as the idea appears, it has more problems than solutions, not the least is that if we were to boycott one of the big companies, who supply the smaller independents, then THEY will be disadvantaged too, and that's NOT the aim of the boyoctt....
  18. Hehe.
  19. tonnes of companies have service station specific fuel cards, trucks have some very limited stops on long trips etc and have no other choice, some people live in small towns with only one servo but need to get fuel to get to work.

there's too many problems with it and it's just never going to work.