Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A cup of coffee...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Azz, May 22, 2006.

1. This analogy must have been made with Netriders in mind :p

A group of ex uni students, highly established in their careers, got together to visit their old university lecturer.
    Conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in work life.

Offering his guests coffee, the lecturer went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups: porcelain, plastic, glass, some plain looking and some expensive and exquisite, telling them to help themselves to hot coffee.

When all the students had a cup of coffee in hand, the lecturer said, "If you noticed, all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is but normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the better cups and are eyeing each other's cups."

"Now, if Life is coffee, then the jobs, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, but the quality of Life doesn't change." "Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."

So, don't let the cups drive you...enjoy the coffee instead........

2. Why couldn't your life be the cup and what you fill it with is quality? Regardless of what your definition is of quality is, whether it be nice things or a simple life.... your life is the vessel..... you fill your life with quality!
    .... I have a nice vessel :grin:

That lecturer was shit! :wink:

I dont drink coffee out of polystyrene, plastic, cruddy old cups.... Stuff that! It aint an AA meeting and I like my coffee to taste good.
    Generaly people with nice clothes, family, some nice posessions are normally happier people!.....
  3. I agree with you on most of that... but from the people I know that live to fill their lives with nice clothes and possessions are usually the unhappy ones...

Altho I think I'm happy and I like nice bikes, cars, clothes, women etc. :p
  4. Thats cos they have no idea what quality is for them. ;-)

Me, I like my things and I like nice things... I like money, success, hardwork & my woman. (Not in any particular order)

These things make me happy. :wink:
  5. A good analogy is like a diagonal frog.
  6. I have no idea what that meant but........... DAMN I laughed!!! :LOL: :LOL:
  7. I did read an article in the ever amazing MX about how a study in Ireland had shown that CEO's and MD's for large companies had a "lower quality of life than those suffering debilitating diseases and injuries", just because of work commitments.

Anyway I need some more coffee if Im going to get through work today. :grin:
  8. interesting... that's two posters that classify "women" under the same heading as "possessions.
    I wonder what the quality of life is, for a possession.
  9. I didn't (mean to) classify women as possession's, I just said that I "like nice women"... not after a "trophy" girlfriend, been there done that but didn't get a t-shirt :p
  10. Just a thought...

Would having a "trophy" girlfriend be classified as a triumph?:roll:

sorry sorry sorry
  11. Not sorry enough, Tony, not sorry enough... :evil:

(depends on what she puts out on the dyno :LOL: )
  12. If your referring to me... then you need reading lessons. I never said mine was a posession. :evil: .... she certainly comes under the heading of "nice" though!!! :wink:
  13. Ditto to his comment! Funny stuff.

14. True, you never used the word "possession" ("thing" I think it was... )
    Aw c'mon, I'm just having a lend :wink: