Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A cowards guide to avoiding road rage.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by smileedude, Jul 18, 2013.

1. #1 smileedude, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    So a road rage thread yesterday has got me thinking about a few things. And I thought I would expand my ideas a little without going too off topic in the other thread. Basically there seems to be a trend that most riders experience a few instances of road rage while on their L and P plates. Many argue that this rage exists because the plates incite it. This is quite frankly bullshit. The L and P plates simply fail to give the message, “hey I’m new, give me some patience”. People on L and P plates get rage because they haven’t learnt basic consideration of other road users. And this is entirely understandable. When you weigh up learning how not to crash and how not delay someone by a few seconds you understand which skills you learn first.

Now before I get started there are some of you who will jump up and down saying I’m not going to get bullied into riding in a manner I don’t want to because of arseholes. And I completely understand but if you are a coward like me you will do anything to stay out of the line of sight of psychopaths. When you are on the road you are interacting with many types of people who you would normally avoid contact with. I also think if everyone was a little more considerate of others the world would be a much nicer place and just because someone’s in a car doesn’t mean their time isn’t important.

Also I might add that I’ve found myself honking at P plate cagers a few times in the last month and getting a little agro because they drove in an incompetent manner that held me up. I felt a little ashamed afterwards but those of you who know me will know that I’m a very timid character with no temper what so ever. So for me to do this, shows what a tinderbox of anger the road is and what to expect if you annoy the wrong person.

So smilees rules to avoiding road rage:

1. Only filter if you are prepared to break a few road rules and accelerate fast. If you filter well people shouldn’t notice you. This means taking off fast and staying ahead of the traffic behind you. The number 1 way riders piss off drivers is to filter to the front then take their sweet time getting started. This removes all the benefits of filtering you are just pushing in if you do this.

2. Related to the above. The automatic wait time when the light changes, to watch out for red light runners is bullshit, don’t do it, especially if you’ve filtered to the front. Watch the other road, and indications for the light to change. You can make sure everything is safe before the light changes.

3. Keep left unless over taking. People hate it, I hate it. I’m going GST down the freeway and there is some clown doing 5 under the limit in the right lane. It is not cool. This includes all roads and not just freeways.

4. Don’t ride straights under the speed limit, there are very few reasons to do it and on your first ride after the stay upright course you should be more than capable of maintaining the speed limit.

5. Learn to judge gaps that you can pass through at intersections as fast as you can. You really don’t realise how stupidly large the gaps you wait for now are.

6. Mirrors, use them a lot. If there is someone in them pay special attention to rule 2- 5.

7. If someone honks you don’t give em the finger. It’s hard I know but if you get pissed off at someone getting pissed off at you it’s going to get nasty.

But why bikes seem to cop worse road rage than others is because of filtering. If you are not prepared to abide by rules 2 to 7 then don’t filter. If you filter you should be invisible.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Agree, with one exception, well sort of exception.

4. Don’t ride straights under the speed limit, there are very few reasons to do it and on your first ride after the stay upright course you should be more than capable of maintaining the speed limit.

Sure in 80 and below zones you are absolutely correct, but in 100 zones, L platers are still restricted to 90 in NSW, which means they have to make the decision do I sit on MY speed limit or do risk a speeding fine and travel at the same pace as everyone else.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yep L and P plate limits still apply. But stick in the left lane and try to avoid the single lane 100 km/h roads when you are on your L's unless you are prepared to let people past or go over your limit.
  4. Bugger better get rid of those new loud pipes then... :rofl:
  5. #5 b12mick, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
    Most definitely.

As an aside. Some time ago I led a short ride (around 150km) that included 2 older people on their P's.

Before the ride started they asked if it was alright if they tagged along. I told them it was not a problem as long as they were confident with maintaining 90. They said no problems.

Well, only 5km out of town it was obvious they weren't. The first stop was less than 30km from the start, we waited 5 minutes for them.

On the second leg we'd gone maybe 5km and I'd already lost sight of them. I waved everyone else through, stopped and waited for them. When I saw them coming up behind I set off again, doing 80. I was loosing them, so I slowed to 60 and they still weren't catching me.

TEC told me later that at one point, going around a corner that we'd usually take at speeds well in excess of 100kmh, they were doing 20. On the straights they were lucky to do 50.

Remember, these were older people with many years of driving experience and were on their P's for the bike. Some arsehole suggested to them that maybe they should sell their bikes and go back to driving the car. One of them hasn't spoken to me him since, the other rang me a couple of days later and asked if I could help her with her riding.

He said INVISIBLE. He didn't say you couldn't be LOUD.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. - I notice when i am in the car that when riders filter silently i dont know they are there. being alerted to them sneaking up on me makes me conscious of keeping my lane, or checking and shifting over a bit (if i am in the right lane).

I make heaps of noise when i filter...i might be wrong but i reckon it helps.
  7. I see a good idea for a Ninja advert here
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I would add my own rule to those:

Be polite on the road with others. Wave thanks when you can whether drivers did something good or not. It will just make everyone that little tiny bit happier and calm down the situation.

Having said that being polite doesn't mean you should give up you safety for that. One can still "own the road" and be polite.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I agree with you @smileedude with one exception. Don't assume all drivers think it's OK to learn to ride on the road. there's at least one bloke on here of that view. Hard to believe but that's the case.

10. Pretty sure that's not what smilee meant.
    Invisible when filtering means to me that I should appear and disappear quickly.

If I split lane for example and then take the length of two cars on the road I understand why the driver behind can get annoyed.

I try to avoid doing that (by filtering/splitting further, changing lane etc) when possible.

But often friendly "thanks" works really well.
    I've never had a road rage, ever (touch wood).

(Actually, once a van driver told me to fcuk right off, literally, when I showed him "you can't use your mobile". So I waved thanks to him took off of the lights and left him puzzled about it :) ).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I tend to disagree...

A little with your points but mostly in that i think you have missed the reason behind a lot of road rage.

If you spend enough time on the road you will find that the worst incidents of road rage happen because people are fcuked in the face.

I'm doing 75 in the 70 zone but the spastic behind me wants to do 90 = Rage.

I'm turning right into a drive way or uncontrolled intersection i indicated for a sufficient amount of time slowed down in a safe manner and now i am waiting for a gap... spastic behind me missed all those warnings and opportunity to change lane = Rage

I honk my horn to alert some one that they are about to get smashed if they fail to give way = Rage

I stop safely on the orange because the intersection has speed and red light detection the guy behind me is too stupid to see the cameras on top of the poles on the side of the road and wanted to run the red = Rage

I'm merging into traffic, and spastic speed up to block me, so i just casually cut him off = Rage

Spastic is sitting 3 feet off my bumper on the motorway in the left lane so i increase my gap to the car in front of me to save him an accident = Rage

I happen to glance in spastics direction at the lights = Rage

The list goes on and on...

the point is you simply can't avoid road rage these days because sooner or later you are going to cross paths with this inconsiderate spastic who feels he has some right of ownership over the roads.
  12. I dont wanna be hypersensitive, but you shouldn't confuse the knuckle dragging imbeciles with people with disabilities.
  13. Hang on, you honk your horn at people before they've failed to give way? No wonder you are copping so much rage.
  14. Give them a wave, but do not blow them a kiss and wave. I was at an intersection, guy in white van honked his horn because I did not move into the intersection because I could not exit the intersection due to traffic. So instead of blocking it and upsetting others I waited. When it was clear I moved off and Whitevan man was still on his horn, he got stuck at the lights as they changed. So I blew him a kiss and waved. Looking in my mirror he was going off his nut.
  15. Good list Smilee....

I think the one key takeaway is rider personality/style....

From my perspective - I don't try to be invisible - EVER.
    I don't get raged at often - but it does happen from time to time.

As you know, I ride everywhere on the slightly aggressive side of neutral.....sending a bit of a commanding persona out......making cagers:

First - notice me
    Second - think twice

It doesn't always work......but hell - when needs must.....twist the wrist and GTFO...

My 2c
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. No I am honking because, they are sticking their nose out and not looking.

the honking is usually after perceiving that they probably aren't going to give way slowing a little and setting up my brakes followed by heavy braking as, "I told you so" they pull out without looking,

they rage because how dare I alert them to the danger they failed to perceive as they piloted a tone and a half of glass and steel into moving traffic.
  17. Dunno 'bout the Keep Left no matter what.
    Yes, on the freeway, roads where the speed limit is 80 & above & roads where the sign is posted "Keep Left Unless Overtaking"- definately.

But just suburban two lane 60km/hr roads? More of an unwritten courtesy, like standing to the left on an escalator. Nice to do it but no need to get agro if someone doesn't follow the 'unwritten' rule.
  18. #18 smileedude, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    I reckon what you call riding on the slightly aggressive side of neutral and I call riding invisible are probably the same thing. It's basically getting away. It's putting yourself in the places where you wont get hit even if they try. It's not about reducing your visibility but pretending that you are invisible.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I'm sure that's what he meant.
  20. I must confess that usually when there's raging happening and I'm involved, it's me doing the raging because some fcukwit who is more interested in talking on their phone has just tried to kill me.
    • Agree Agree x 2