Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A couple of stuffs I've learned

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bulby, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

I've been meaning to post this since after the Saturday session 2 weeks ago, but life's been pretty hectic. But hey, at least I still remember what I was going to post :p

Basically, I've gone through everything that happened that Saturday retraced everything and try to analyze / criticize myself. The obvious mistakes were obvious: Ham fisted, looking down while stopping, going all rigid at slow speeds, etc.

What surprised me though, is I was actually doing the first thing Doug warned me about in the morning. I got annoyed at myself after dropping the bike the 2nd time. I only realised this at the end of the day, in the shower. (Sorry for the mental image) :bolt:
    And because I was annoyed at myself, I was doing even worse. That annoyed me even more and I ended up feeling quite frustrated at myself.

So there you have it, boys and girls. Maybe it's something that only happens to me, but just a heads up. Remember not to get annoyed at yourself.

Oh, and I think I missed the gutter by a few inches on the way home, going into Sneydes Rd from Point Cook Rd. I was actually staring at the gutter for the first half of the turn. Good thing I then remembered NOT to look at the gutter and snapped my head to the right.
  2. Good on you Bulby for reviewing what happened. Maybe balance the self-criticism with a reminder that this is all a normal part of learning to ride.

The million dollar question is, what will you differently from now on? How do you plan to respond when you catch yourself getting into the wrong state of mind?

3. Bulby, you know what did wrong, so slowly work towards correcting things, keeping control is the first key, and just do the 'process'
    Having said that, I almost dropped my bike in the driveway when I 'thought' I had the stand down only to 'shit myself' as the weight got heavier in hand when i thought 'stand is down'
    Another day, more smiles and we get on with things!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Go to a happy place? :p

I can usually calm myself down pretty quick when I actually realise I'm in the wrong state of mind. It must've slipped through my attention since I was trying to focus on so many different things at once, me being new to riding.

But now that I have a better understanding on to watch out for, I should be less prone to it. And I can always pull over and chill for a few mins. Maybe troll around fb and nr on my mobile :bolt:
  5. Great observation. It does get easier once some of the basics (starting, stopping, cornering, indicating, gear changes) become automatic.

+1 to that.

6. Sounds like you are getting in the right mind space, now get some more practice. Hope to see you again at the Saturday session.
  7. Heheh ... that’s not the only thing you missed by a few inches :p ... but the point is you missed. Good job on recognising the target fixation and actively averted it.

Something to keep in mind, stress causes and increases fatigue ... getting annoyed/frustrated is a form of stress and will increase fatigue, the more fatigued you are the more prone you’ll be to making errors. If you find your frustration levels rising, and you’re repeating same sort of errors, recognise this can be signs you’re fatigued and yes, definitely take a break.

It is often under-estimated how tiring learning to ride can be. Rider-fitness is something that’s developed gradually.

That was a huge day for you Bulby. Good job on the self analysis, that’s an important habit to get into.
    How are you progressing with the exercises Hawklord and GreyBM left you with?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LOL yeah. But the post would be a full essay if I wrote them all down :oops:

I'm progressing. Slowly, but there's progress. Still a bit twitchy at stopping though. So I won't venture too far from home yet.

Got a one on one lesson booked in at Stay Upright this coming Monday. Can't wait! I'm sure they'll pick up a number of mistakes I've been missing and point me to the right direction.
    (Was actually booked in for a 6 hours group course, but the session was cancelled due to not enough attendee. I see why they only do it once a month now.)

[Off topic]
    Also trying to get a quote from High Octane Motorcycles on fixing my left-hand fairings + cowl + blinker + mirror and get oggy knobs fitted. They're not sure yet, but if anyone here can throw in a guesstimate, that would be sweet =]
    Why am I getting them fixed now? The fairings are a bit skewed to the left. Kinda worries me. The bike's frame, forks etc seem to be aligned fine though.
    [/Off topic]
  9. If you are still wobbly I would put of fixing until you are more steady just in case.

Going around the block until you get the basics is fine. Take your own sweet time and if you feel tired take a break.

Normally I would be available to help out more but I am a bit strapped for time at the minute. I keep hoping that each weekend will be the last and I will have the full weekend to myself again. Hopefully this weekend. Once that happens I am happy to spend a bit of time with you.
  10. Went for a lesson at stay upright today. Did heaps of starts and stops, finished off with slow speed maneuvres. All in the rain.

Was told that I was actually leaning with the bike, which was a surprise. I thought I've always been leaning off the bike into the corners. Also learned that my right wrist was sitting higher than my knuckles. And of course, the mistakes I already knew - Rigid while braking and looking down. With most of them corrected, the instructor's conclusion was that I'm on the right track. Just need more practice and more confidence. I tend to chicken out and look down... :p

Also had my very first lowside! :eek:
    Luckily, it was only at 30-40 km/h and I had my full gear on. This was before the instructor pointed out that I was leaning with the bike. What happened was I came into the corner too hot and was leaning the bike a bit too much when I went over either some wet leaves or painted lines (or both). The rubber lost traction and the bike slid from under me. I hit the ground forearm and knee first, slid for 2-3 meters, then my left wrist got caught between the handlebar and the mirror, and the bike dragged me on my belly for another 2-3 meters. That taught me to respect the wet bitumen and everything on it a bit more.

The bike was not mine, but anyway it was fine as it was fitted with crash bars. I got a scuff on my left elbow, but that's about it. My gears certainly did their job. Helmet didn't touch the ground, so no comment on that. Not a mark on my jacket, pants and boots once I brushed them off with my hands - except for the scuffs on the left forearm's buttons. My gloves seem to have taken the brunt of the fall, so I must've actually tried to brace fall with my left hand. Even then, there are nothing but some scuffs on the thermoplastic on the outside of the palm.

On a side note, I was bone dry from head to toe except for my hands. The gloves are not waterproof (perforated leather). All in all very happy with my choice of gears :)
  11. Great stuff, bulby.

We'll be seeing you at sat practice soon.

Keep at it and above all "Keep your bloody head up!" when you stop.
  12. What are 'stuffs'? Lol

(Don't mind me)
  13. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Some people are more prone to this than others. I've had meetings when I was racing gokarts that just went from bad to worse because I got angry with myself.

Nigel Mansel was a bugger for this. When things were going well he was unbeatable. Even under intense pressure, in a difficult spot, he was the man. But if he made a mistake, he'd start beating up on himself. He might make one and rise above it, but if he made two, there'd be a third, and a forth ... until he parked it in the hedge. He really was (sometimes) his own worst enemy.
  14. lol....

parked it in a hedge :D

great term that... i'm so pinching that.