Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Couple Car Tyre Rotation Qs

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by enforcer, Sep 28, 2006.

1. I've used a couple cars so far and I've never rotated any of the tyres on them to reduce uneven tyre wear. I've decided that I should stop being slack and start doing them from now on. Before I do start though I have a couple questions to ask.

I'll be following this

I'm going to leave the spare tyre alone.

I'll be rotating every 5,000km or is that too short?

When ever I get new tyres at the tyre place they do this wheel balance thing. If I rotate the tyres will my wheels still be balanced?

Any other tips welcome.

2. Just make sure you don't have directional tyres (or different sizes front and rear) :shock: :LOL:. Oh and the tyre and rim should stay balanced no matter where it is on the car (unless one of the little weights falls off).
  3. What do you drive?

I've got mud tyres on my Hilux and I need to get them rotated and balanced soon. They need doing more often because they are wider and softer compound than most roadies.

Rotating 'every service' is being nice to your tyres - which is every 5,000k's for me [diesel], but every 10,000 would be fine on a normal petrol sedan with fairly standard rubber on the rims.
  4. I drive a Yaris.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Edit: Typo
  5. Easiest answer is swap front to back, not diagonally.
  6. :rofl:

Sorry but I could help myself.

When my car (2003 VY Comode) gets it dealer service I tell them NOT to rotate the tyres. I'd much rather replace two tyres (usually the rears) and put the fronts on the back and new fronts (I believe it's more important to be able to steer a car than make it go forwards in an emergency) than rotate the tyres & have to fork out for 4 or 5 tyres when they all wear out at the same rate.

I got 70,000 out of the original rears and 110,000 out of the original fronts which became the rears but I've only had to fork out $300 for two tyres at a time instead of $600 for all 4.
  7. Isn't rotating tyres a bit of a hangover from the days before electronic wheel alignment and balancing??

Surely all you should be doing is swapping the fronts (driving wheels in a Yaris) to the back when they are about half worn, making sure they are aligned properly and balanced when you do, and then replace the fronts when they wear out??
  8. Actually Paul, tyre rotation is stil important. Tyres take a set depending on what they are doing, a free wheeling tyre, like the rear on a front drive car, or front on a rear drive car, can develop "spotty wear" which is where the tyre starts to develop high and low spots, due to very slight imperfections in manufacturing. Much like the front of a bike can develop scalloping, while teh rear does not.
    Of course, drive tyres can also develop feathering, and steer tyres can develop saw tooth patterns due to camber thrust and side loading.
    Rotating tyres is good in that it allows a tyre to last a lot longer (some cars up to 10,000kms more), due to not being worn in the same spot continuously. Front drive cars in particular, are much more prone to wearing out front tyres, as the fronts have to do it all.
    I personally never let a pair of tyres wear too much more than the other end of the vehicle, it can cause big problems in emergency situations, where more worn tyres have less tread, and are into the harder compound part of the tread, you get different handling compared to four equally worn tyres. It can lead to loss of control when you really need it.
    Also, a tyre should be rebalanced about half way through it's life. Try it sometime, you'll notice a difference.

Regards, Andrew.