Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A common cause of bike accidents ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by I'm Simon, May 23, 2007.

1. I dunno if this has been posted / asked about before but....

Is failing to turn off the indicator on a bike a common cause of accidents ? I see so many riders (usually L or P platers) forgetting to turn off their indicator that I cringe to think of what may happen when there is a car about to turn into the road from a side street ahead of them. I have had cause to indicate (pardon the pun) to other riders to turn off blinkers on numerous occassions.

I even have a nice wear patch on the left thumb of my glove from where I am constantly checking my indicators :p better that than a soccer mum assuming that I am going to turn I guess.

2. This is one thing that scares me on a bike. Its not like a car where it automatically turns off or where you have an audible click-click noise to alert you the indicator is still on. All I have is a small light partially hidden underneath the speedo to alert me the indicator is flashing.

3. I rode about 2km down Ferntree Gully road with my blinker on today :oops:

4. I don't know if it's a common cause but it is dangerous because it confuses other drivers.

and cause them to turn into your path.

But after a while i'll b come a habit and you'll quickly learn.

5. if you're riding as you should, alert for all dangers that could happen, then even having your blinker on shouldn't make much of a difference, it's possible that a driver will take your indicator as such, but most drivers don't know what it is anyway :LOL:

I find myself checking constantly if my blinker is off, just get in the habit of turning it off and you won't have any problems

6. For my bike its pressing the switch to turn the indicator off(not sure abt other bikes). After a turn or when im not sure ill jus move my tumb and press it even if the indicator wasnt on. This way I dont have to take my eyes off the road as there r already too many things on the road too look out for.

I think one of the things that almost had me a few times and which I always check is my blind spot when I change lanes. Ill find that a car can totally disapppear in the blind spot and on a few occations I turned and checked the blind spot and found there was a car there(normally c the hood).

Also today I must hav not adjested the mirrors right coz I looked in the mirror did a head chk and started to change lanes(on the freeway) but I changed slowly for some reason and when I was on the lines I chked again and saw the right rear corner of the car next to me on the edge of my mirror. So I changed back and had another good head chk and saw a car next to me. Close...

Jus another day being a rider....

7. Please tell me that with electronic everything coming out our ears why the manufacturers can't come up with self-cancelling indicators for bikes? The Yamaha RD-400 of the early 80s had them :roll:.

My private annoyance is that I have no nerves in the end of my left thumb because of two cuts while I was cooking, and I'm constantly having to LOOK at where the button is because I can't feel it...

8. Stop whinging Paul, and count yourself lucky you don't have the 3-button Beelzebub designed system I have on my BMW.... :p

9. I've always found its cruiser riders who forget :)

I occasionally forget but 99% of the time I do it by reflex.

10. I like the indicator system on the Harley Ultra Classic, one switch either side and it switches itself off after a few seconds. Pretty close to foolproof.

11. Hmm, so if you are sitting in traffic and wanting to make a turn off before the lights but "stuck" in the traffic because of the lights near by, does that mean you would need to keep switching the indicator on whilst sitting in traffic or does it only turn itself off if the bike is moving?

12. You may have to start the blinkers again but it's a simple thumb switch. With the indicators on the Ultra's dashboard you can see if the blinkers are on or not, so you're unlikely to get into trouble.

13. It shouldn't be that hard for the manufacturers to build them in. All you would need would be a timer, set to a reasonable time, says 20 seconds, and which doesn't count the time when the bike is stationary. I think that's how the Yamaha system worked, (and it DID work, I owned one).

14. I know a guy who hooked a little piezo buzzer up to each of his indicators, which sound as the lights flash, just like what you find in buses etc.

15. This is how I would do it.

Say 3 seconds of blinking while moving, and infinite when standing still.

16. Ohh blinking , yes i constantly forget to switch it off :( .

I can not even imagene how dangeros that is .

17. The R1200GS has a reasonable setup. Paddles on each side for left and right indicator and self cancels after about 200-300 metres.

In terms of causing accidents, I wouldn't think it is a major contributor. Most drivers/riders generally don't pay much attention to indicators and tend to make sure the person is actually turning. The biggest factors by a country mile are rider error, road conditions and other driver/rider error.

18. i think the most common cause of bike accidents is the failure to adequately oppose acceleration/deceleration ;)

19. Common accident for motorbike riders ARE FARKING other drivers who think they own the road .. End of story .

20. So, allow for them. Ultimately, it's your choice to trust other drivers........
    There's plenty you can do to reduce the risk, and just blaming the other road user is a great way to ensure you put yourself in harm's way. If you're not there, you can't get hit.
    You should be thinking "what can I do right now to reduce my exposure to risk, if this guy does X or Y".

Regards, Andrew.