Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A clutch is a clutch and a flywheel is a flywheel..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AnotherMacca, Jun 23, 2007.

1. A flywheel can do some big arse damage when it lets go...

2. :eek: holy crap !!!!
  3. Ahhh, the joys of people who don't know better throwing parts at their cars!
    Lightened flywheel, aftermarket high pressure clutch, probably dumped it at 6k rpm........"moit, I spent $4k on siiik turbo, BOV and intercooler, but skipmed on safety gear!"
    There's a reason drag racing bodies require scattershields on manual transmission cars. :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.
  4. yeah, chop-shop reliability.
    GTR running gear in a GT chassis/body !
    Or was it a GTR front cut into a GT ??? . . . .
  5. Some great pics Macca
  6. 300ZX bits... twin turbo 3 litres dont need GTR parts to go faster.
  7. :? Where are you seeing GTR bits?

All I'm seeing is steering rack.. (Mind you, I'm no ricer)..
  8. mate, you are right ! . . .me bad.
    I took the rack as a drive axle CV joint.
  9. nid a luft 'ome ey bro?
  10. I don't get it.

Can someone explain it to me in laymans?

SO it looks like some fully sik guy worked his car too hard and part from the engine blew off and made a crazy mess!! :?
  11. too stupid dumb arse over revved his engine and dumped the clutch...

The flywheel is used to regulate the pulses coming from the firing ignition of the pistons. Its usually made of steel and because of its weight / roatating mass is used to store kinetic energy and keep the engine rotating... This poor flywheel was probably storing a crap load of kinetic energy when he let loose with the clutch... The flex of the clutch against the flywheel caused it to flex and fracture... :roll: the flywheel began to crack the kinetic energy is released explosively and we are looking at the dumb guy's friends saying "dude that sux but itz was fully sic!!!" :!:
  12. Was probably a plain cast stocko flywheel, to which some hero has bolted an aftermarket button style friction plate and we can assume a heavy duty pressure plate as well. The flywheel looks very new, but still looks like a cast item (look near the hub). The bluing under the friction plate contact area tells the story too, lots of abuse. The cracks have also gone through the pressure plate bolt holes, so could also be dodgey manufacturing.
    RPM is usually what kills cast flywheels, they just fly apart. They were probably doing huge burnouts and had the rev limiter removed or disabled.......
    Of course, anyone with half a brain would have bought a steel flywheel if they were making decent power(and considered a steel bellhousing or Kevlar scattershield), but these ricers are usually too strapped for cash after buying 22" rims and 3Kw stereos!
    These guys were lucky, there have been more than a few instances of exploding flywheels removing parts of people's anatomy........the scary thing is, all the parts of the flywheel/ friction plate haven't been accounted for :shock:

Regards, Andrew.
  13. Yeah probably some dodgy Chinese made "Nimso" brand or something off ebay (seen some absolutely frightening "performance" parts for sale on there before).
  14. Dont forget the importance of a good harmonic balancer at high revs too.
    After a bang like that the bottom end of the engine would be a throw away item too. I wouldnt trust a crank after that. The block could also be fractured.