Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A close call.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rc36, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Yesterday morning on the Oxley I was very nearly a victim of another rider's accident. I haven't put this in the "Vent" thread because I'm not sounding off about it; it was just one of those things.

By chance I became the first rider to take off at the head of a big group after the light at the roadworks turned green. All the other riders in the group were on sportsbikes, wearing leathers and obviously very serious about enjoying their day on the renowned Oxley twisties.

So it was no surprise to me when I heard the boom of the Aprilia Mille heading up the hill behind me. I immediately buttoned off and waved the rider through and he took off into the next, tight right hander. I recall thinking, "Man, he's going a bit quick for that corner." but allowing him the benefit of the doubt that probably he could handle it. In any event he was certainly howling and going way quicker than what I would have done.

Unfortunately, even though it was open and the exit of the corner could be seen, the rider didn't take into account the fact that the corner closed radius and, once committed, the fact was, he wasn't in good shape to make the corner.

To his great credit he didn't brake, instead leaning the bike even further to try and keep his line. But, as luck would have it, just as he did so, the front tyre clipped a patch of tiny gravel in the middle of the corner, the front end tucked under and the bike hit the deck with that awful crunching sound that we all know and hate.

Bike and rider slid across the road; then the peg must have dug in or something because the bike then did about 3 (I think) rolls sideways along with the rider who started rolling as well.

Both came to rest scarily close to the armco on the outside of the corner. The rider was up quickly and, but the time I had found a safe place to stop the VFR, he had picked the bike up and was moving it off the road.

He was wearing full leathers and replied that he was OK, both times I asked him (so I guess he was!). The bike was a mess with every corner smashed in, tank grazed and scratched and bulk expensive damage to most of what was visible.

It was around about this time that I started replaying the incident in my mind and I realised just how close I had come to becoming part of his accident. Despite slowing down for him to pass me, I was still probably doing 80 k's and, once he dropped his bike, the closing distance between the two of us accelerated dramatically.

I recall braking hard and mentally judging the closing distance and looking for my "out" if it was necessary. It always amazes me how much information the brain can process when it really has to. Looking back, I think I did pretty much everything right, but I have to say that the incident completely detuned me for the rest of the day. It really played on my mind and I found that it affected the confidence with which I approached the mountain that day.

I guess that's not a bad thing, but a close shave like this can certainly make you think. I hope the rider is OK and I hope his repair bill isn't too high (though I suspect that it may be).
  2. Glad to hear you're both okay. Good work on your part.
  3. Sorry to hear yet another notch in the Oxleys belt. Has been happening way to often lately. Road must be treated with respect. The surface of late has been very unpredictable due to weather, logging trucks,cattle trucks, roadworks, etc.....Glad to see you avoided the carnage.
    Hope we can meet next time you are up here.
  4. We were close to the scene of a nasty bike accident two years or so ago, they flew past us then down the road a little, there was bike, rider and pillion on the ground on a sharp bend. Made me feel sick for the rest of the day, and I wondered how they were for months after (especially the pillion rider, because she didnt seem to be moving at the time). I know how you feel!. You did a good job with your avoidance actions, and glad to hear the rider had good protective clothing.
  5. well good to hear you are okay and as stated before the rider had all the correct gear

makes you look close at your mortality when you see something like this happen ( which is unfortunate)
  6. Yes, Bob, it was a pity that our timetables didn't co-incide last weekend. Never mind, I am sure that I'll be taking you up on the offer one day soon. Thanks again.
  7. Its a shame,... too many make the pilgrimage to 'the hill' from afar, then proceed to run it at 10/10 with no room for error on a track that can change with the weather.

The Oxley is not the place to earn your 'wings of courage'... it can **** you up bad & spit you out without another thought, same with 'Glorious'.

Glad you & he came away in good health mate, better than the last 'big one' we've had up here..........

8. I so very very very rarely ever ride with no margin for error, or extraordinary circumstances.

Some people choose to, though.
    You pays your money, you takes your chances.
  9. No disrespect intended here, but every one of the bikes that day that I could see had dealer stickers from Sydney bike shops. It's a long way to go to go home in a trailer.
  10. Glad you came away unscathed!

Sounds like you had a near miss.
  11. Yes, it was, but, if you had read my intorduction correctly, you would have seen that I explained why I didn't post in that section.... :roll:
  12. Chillout dude, we're all friends here...

I did read your OP correctly. The title of the forum I pointed to isn't "Your vent" it's "Your near misses", I was just trying to help point you in the right direction :wink:

Anyway, the important part was "Glad you came away unscathed!", which I am.
  13. Why thank you.