Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A change from being force fed the usual blood, snot and gore.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rider5, May 31, 2011.

1. #1 rider5, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Spotted this ad from the UK - what do we think? Effective or missing the mark. If so why?

2. I am a new rider - so new that I’m still waiting for my bike to be delivered! - and I think it strikes the right chord (for me anyway - I have 3 kids and I’m sure they want their Dad around for a while yet).
    I like the fact that they aren’t trying to shock viewers with graphic images, yet still get the message across.
  3. It's certainly much cuter than the motorcycle requiem video i watched last night. And it puts it into other road users heads that we're people. That helps.

People that produce little motorbike wannabe kids.
  4. Useless.
  5. .. it doesn't really hit the mark for me.... Would be interesting to see how successful it was in Sussex/UK. But I would think it would be hard to measure the effectiveness.
  6. I liked it alot.

It gets away from the usual/typical bike safety mould, and brings the message back smack bang into the home setting.

It images bike riding as an accepted 'thing' within the family, instead of bunging on about the clash in society.
    It also makes the sport of biking a personal activity and puts a human face on it.
    Ie. Yes that biker riding along is not an imagineered power ranger. It's a real person with a real life, and is to be respected, take into account on the road.

It also breaks the mould of what/how, bikers should be perceived. The father and son connection also shows biking transitions generations, and is a permenant fixtue in rhe landscape.
    I'm very happy with it. :))
  7. Pretty much exactly what Raven said. +1. Good effort.
  8. 3 thoughts

It is better than the scare tactics to blatant finger pointing (especially that coming out of VIC lately)

It's a bit of a rip off of the workcover add

I don't like guilt advertising.

So yeah mixed emotions.
  9. Yeah, I like it. But I'm the target market.

Those that need a feeling of rebellion and danger in their riding won't like it, but they don't need to.
  10. The kid could do with a haircut.
  11. I like it.

For these reason.

ps. Holy shit John... When did you grow a brain and become so articulate??!!!
  12. He can't be articulate. He doesn't have a turntable.

Actually, that's probably wrong. I'd say he's stashed some vinyl somewhere, (Silk Degrees perhaps ... or Tubular Bells.)

John, do you have an artificial hip? Or any other mechanism for bending in the middle?
  13. Its not fingerpointing as mentioned and with the kid wanting to ride, it doesn't paint riding as some bad thing. Just highlights the stay safe message.
  14. Nup!...but i do have a neck with a few titanium bits in it. :)
    ( that does'nt work very well sometimes)

Tubular bells (grouse) :)

But the record player got tossed immediately portable music was invented.
  15. I like it quite a bit. But as Titus said: I'm also in the target demographic - I wonder how those without kids see it...
  16. I can't see the video from work, but what John describes is exactly what I've always thought such advertisements should focus on. And while I hate sentimental manipulation, as per ibast's point, the sort of people who most need to hear these messages are often receptive to and moved by that rather than by appeals to higher sensibilities.
  17. Amazing aint it! I planted my first seed just a week ago, and within days, i had a fully grown brain, that fit my skull perfectly! LOL
  18. With the whole "happy families" vibe going on, it may have a secondary effect of encouraging some women on the road to be more careful when they see a rider. Maybe at the back of their minds, they think it wouldn't be so crash hot to have their partner not come home at night, and a little bit of a follow on in behaviour terms. But, Raven possibly has it right. And it couldn't hurt to not show the blood and gore - a little more appropriate for prime-time viewing, maybe?
  19. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-13596569

Sussex campaign focuses on motorcycle safety

A film showing a young boy creating his own motorcycle experience is the focus of a road safety campaign in Sussex.
    The Sussex Safer Roads Partnership (SSRP) described Stay a Hero, Stay Safe as a celebration of motorcycling showing bikers as role models.
    The film depicts a young boy turning his own pedal bike into a motorcycle so he can be like his father, with the aid of skittles, an umbrella and torches.
    SSRP manager, Ken Seymour, said he hoped it would help save lives.
    "Despite motorcyclists being a small proportion of road users, they make up a large percentage of casualties across Sussex," he said.
    "Stay a Hero deliberately avoids laying blame of any sort and isn't your usual shocking public service film.
    "We hope that it will connect with our biker community, generate discussion and help to save lives on our roads."
  20. No kids here and I like it.

As someone has already pointed out, it gives those that don't ride a new perspective on who might be underneath the helmet. It also doesn't promote the mentality that motorcyclists are just accidents waiting to happen.

I like the fact that dad didn't come in on a cruiser.