Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A chain/sprocket question for the wise

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by archie, Dec 24, 2005.

1. After riding this morning I decided it was time to clean/lube/adjust my chain. All was well until the adjusting phase when I found a massive loose spot that you could ride a goldwing through. :shock:

I definitely see a new chain in my bike's future but considering it is the silly season my chances of finding anyone to change it in the next couple of weeks is probably - well ... NIL. :cry:

This is the first time that I have needed a new chain so my question is -

Should I

a) keep riding but have the chain replaced as soon as possible or
    b) not even think about riding until the chain is replaced

On a nother note (well it is linked)

I have heard that you should always replace sprockets at the same time as a chain.

Is this the case?

And finally - the big question - If I do have the chain and sprockets replaced - How much moolaa will I be forking out?

Feedback from the wise would be greatly appreciated!! :D

2. :LOL: in a post about CHAINS :LOL:

Of course, it could have been intentional....

3. shouldnt hurt riding it as it is ........ as long as the sprockets arent hooked and the chains is adjusted

its good practice to replace the sprockets when you replace the chain ... can save money in the future

and its always best to use an endless chain .. especialy on high performance bikes ... most people dont do this as it involves removing the swing arm

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

this is an american site ..but excelent for getting part numbers /detailed pics .. as its the dealer microfische... double the cost of the genuine parts for approx: aussie prices

4. it is good practice to do so

chain and sprockets for a Viffer????
    $250-280 would be a starting point..depending on quality (don't skimp)
    and weight ( I would go a 530 chain on yours)

hth

cheers

5. Keep riding it until you can replace it, but make sure you don't let it get dry - lube it every few days.

And yes, replace sprockets at the same time.

6. Thanks for that link...very handy ;)

7. yuppers .if you have a honda or a suzuki its awsome ...

8. Correct. Try to keep the load light and don't start on a 8000km trip now.

Correct again, AT LEAST the front sprocket.

Too much for this time of year :)
    The Viffer runs a 530 chain and corresponding sprockets.
    Front sprocket (aftermarket item like AFAM or JT...and yes...they're fine)
    about $30, rears about 50-65 bux.
    Chain at least a DID VM X-ring at around $210
    or better the DID VM2 X-ring at about $260 (guessing here).

In 30 years I've never seen one of those elusive endless-chains mentioned sometimes. All replacements either come with a clip-link or rivet-link. The rivet-link would be the preferred method for this size chain/ bike.

9. Nothing wrong with a rivet link. I have seen 2 clip links come off my 400 but there is no way you could ever get a rivit link off unless you use a grinder & big hammer (unless you go & buy a splitter/riveter tool :D )

10. in over 25 years of having large jap sport bikes ... ive never once used a linked chain ...... ive always used the chance to lube/replace swing arm barings ... ive seen a chain come apart on a GPZ 900 r ............. there wasent much left of the crankcases by the time the bike stopped ... as as far as availability of endless chains ...... most reputable companies make them .. just order them ... the reason their so elusive is people are too slack to use them

11. The reason for replacing the sprockets with the chain is because the length of the chain has changed (obviously). Therefore the distance between each roller has changed and worn the teeth in the sprockets to match. Put a new chain on and it tend to try to match the sprockets over time, causing premature wear...
    The chain has not 'stretched' however, the holes that the roller pins rotate in have become elongated. The reason is that the O-rings which hold the grease in have dried and allowed the grease to escape. And unfortunately, I believe a reason for this is our obsession with chain lubes that don't "fling off". We are encouraged to use them sparingly too, maybe only every 500-1,000 Kms. The reason the Loob Man and Scottoilers work so well is that they keep the O-rings moist, and the rings keep the grease in...
    From www.scottoiler.com "'O' rings are made of rubber which has a high coefficient of friction. Unless the surfaces are kept moist, the rubber will harden and crack, exposing a link-pin to dirt and wear. The resulting 'slack spot' makes chain adjustment impossible. Two kilowatts of power can be converted to heat by seal friction on 'O' ring chains."
    Have a look at http://www.loobman.com/ for more...

12. A very scholarly first posting, and anything but Dodgy. Welcome to the forum; what do you ride?

13. I just had my chain and both sprockets replaced for $349.

Dunno about the loose spots though, mine was more a case of tight ones.