Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

a Bikers Story

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by benjamin78au, Mar 7, 2011.

1. I saw you roll your eyes at our leather jacket and gloves.
    But you didn't see me and my brothers donate our old jacket and gloves to those that had none.

I saw you look in fright at my tattoos.
    But you didn't see me cry as my children where born and have their name written over and in my heart.

I saw you change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.
    But you didn't see me going home to be with my family.

I saw you complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.
    But you didn't see me when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you yelling at your kids in the car.
    But you didn't see me pat my child's hands, knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.
    But you didn't see me squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you race down the road in the rain.
    But you didn't see me get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.

I saw you run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.
    But you didn't see me trying to turn right

I saw you cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.
    But you didn't see me leave the road.

I saw you waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.
    But you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you go home to your family.
    But you didn't see me. Because, I died that day you cut me off.
  2. Christ can't code something to automatically delete this tripe when it gets posted.
  3. why delete it, I think it should be posted everywhere, its a simple and sadly sometimes all to true account. Cagers must be made more aware of other road users. I feel that its messages like these that gets noticed, far more than the gory bloody advertisements of the government.
  4. It's maudlin American crap. That must have been posted here a dozen times.
  5. Feeling maudlin, and wanting to reach out?
    But stare at your feet, not knowing which is which?

Discover what started spondaically,
    merely iambles and lurches along?

Find couplets mock you in your solitude,
    And your chirping is answered by crickets?

Your record of life: nor reason, no rhyme;
    blank verse odes, odious to all but squished toads!

Bre-ke-ke-kex! bre-ke-ke-kex!
    Koax! koax! koax!
  6. Whilst a agree with the message, I'm a bit nonplussed by the delivery.

First, I've written some pretty ordinary poetry in my time and I think I know it when I see it. This is ordinary poetry.

Secondly, it seems like a lot of american culture to me - high handed, moralistic, self-righteous, preachy, emotionally charged for maximum impact. Makes me feel a bit queasy.

Thirdly - who exactly is it trying to reach? Cagers are never going to see it, and wouldn't read it if they did. We riders, are the choir - we already know. It might raise a few half-hearted claps in alabama, and some "Right on, Bro." calls, but ... Send a copy the the walrus guy on American Choppers - he might be able to use it.
  7. I don't have any tattoo's. I don't have kids. I don't have a wife.

I rarely wear my leather jacket...

This is bullshit! :p
  8. It needs to be on a car forum, so they can see we are people that ride motor cycles and actually have familys as well,
  9. Ahhh Netriders - always such a nurturing group. Supportive, understanding and tolerant.
  10. Hear hear!! :p
  11. Yes yes and yes.....ive posted it up on my facebook and will be posting it up on the 300zx forum that I used to frequent.

:p you dont fullfill the prereq, your not a biker according to the OP lol.
  12. Comes from america but its the poetic emotionally charged delivery that is annoying. It sits equal with rubbish chain mail that people used to forward me.

It is almost facebookesque in dramatising something so elaborately and then saying "pass this to all your friends" as if it was something profound. Its all very emo to me.
  13. correct!
  14. Not to me, some of the stuff they say like tattoos etc is stereotypical of a certain rider demographic but for me the main point remains that riders are very much vulnerable to the carelessness of other road users and doesn’t just result in a small paint swapping as with car-v-car. Also that riders aren’t all hoons or rebels but do have their own families and loved ones.

From personal experience and from observing others, ive noticed that car drivers do tend to cut people off or force them from their lane so that they can go infront, just observe how close drivers merge infront or tailgate L/P platers on the freeway or motorway. What some drivers might not fully understand or appreciate is that accidents don’t necessarily need any vehicle to hit each other. They could just merge without signalling or looking causing the rider to take evasive mauver’s and loose balance/run off the road.

Sometimes emotive stuff like these gets people’s attention far better than pure black and white hard facts. Anything that decreases M/C accidents is ok in my book, no matter how lame it might sound.
  15. No it just makes them want to barf...
  16. ****ing poof, mardi gras is over.