Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A big thank you to Flipper

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Chairman, Aug 29, 2005.

1. After a very entertaining evening watching the MotoGp, I headed off from Flipper's at about 11.30 last night. A couple of kilometers up the road, the bike stopped. Engine was running, gears selecting - just no forward movement. Oh, and a big puddle of oil.

I rang Flipper, who offered me the use of her Across, on the condition that I allowed myself to be photographed. I chose option 2 - to push the SR back to Laverton. After a rethink she offered me the use of a toolkit and I did a little surgery.

The countershaft sprocket nut had worked loose, and the forward sprocket had fallen off the countershaft. The collar behind it had also worked loose, to the oil seal was weeping.

There were no lost parts so I did the nut up (finger tight - gulp) and gently rode back to Flippers where we found the BIG SPANNER and did it up "break wind" tight.

The trip home was tense but uneventful, and the SR lives on. I'm glad the sprocket fell off on a suburban street, rather than the freeway - which is where I'd have been if it all held together another 30 seconds.

So, thanks Flipper. A great night's TV and a roadside rescue. Saved me from a cold night lost in Mulgrave.

2. Your bike's only notionally Japanese, Mark. :LOL:
  3. so you finally sourced a bolt-on oil leak accessory mark? :LOL:
  4. sounds like it was more of a 'bolt-off' job to me :?

i'm suprised that this is a suprise to you, your bike vibrated a few nuts and bolts loose on MY bike when we went to sorrento last year, i'm totally amazed that the thing holds itself together :shock: you obviously spare no expense on the glues you buy 8)
  5. I'm never surprised when something shakes off. The trick is guessing which part will go. I was certain that I was due to lose the front wheel - I guess that's next. I need a bigger tube of Tarzan's Grip.
  6. Mark,

Forget lock-wire, just weld everything on, foot-pegs, oil-filler cap, crank-cases the lot!

That should sort the problem.

Oh, and THEN super-charge it :!:
  7. We always knew that your nuts were a bit loose there Mark...
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Your aim of making the SR an authentic replica of a British single seems to be achieving fruition...

:p :p :p
  8. I had exactly the same thing happen to me on my last bike, the Kawa 250 triple. Halfway between Yass and Canberra I suddenly had lots of revs but an (apparent) box full of neutrals.
    Fortunately the old beast had a reasonable tool kit and I was able to get the side-case off, tighten the lock nut back on again, and fold over the lock washer with the screw-driver and a road-side rock. (Thank God for roadside rocks!)
    Vibration is the enemy, and there'e no known cure, especially with a 500 single!
  9. Or you could do a sobil and cable tie everything???
  10. What would we do without Flipper. Well done!
  11. chairman buy a harley then you will not have these problems
  12. He can then acquire a whole NEW set of problems...
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  13. And lose an OLD set of friends!