Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A backyard nip/tuck job... (pics)

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Grumply, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Well after some extensive admiring of many of the beautiful bikes on here, I finally got round to giving my own Monster (Dark 600) a few little beauty treatments. So I thought I'd share them with you all!

Here's how she was for starters:

First up was the tail chop. So I ordered myself an integrated LED taillight from Motodynamic.com and when it arrived I went for the relatively low-tech method of just throwing a little masking tape on the frame for a guideline, and then going at it with a hack-saw...

It seemed to do the trick. I then smoothed the rough edges of the chop out with a drill and metal-sander-attachment-thingy, and presto! The my bike was officially chopped. The next step was going to be to paint the exposed ends of the frame to help protect them from rust (and not look ridiculous), however it then occurred to me that the yellow paint underlying the entirety of my frame (which was seemingly yellow originally) was poking its head out in quite a few places around the frame, where the newer black coat had chipped off... so I decided to repaint the entire frame!

I masked the bike up, sanded it down, and proceeded to go at it with a gloss black chassis paint that the guys at Autobarn (a chain of automotive supermarkets down under) recommended to me. I'm satisfied but not really thrilled with how the final result came out - for a supposedly tough paint, 8 coats of it seem alarmingly fragile. :( Here she is freshly painted:

The next step was to fashion some sort of holder for my licence plate. The integrated taillight meant I didn't need to worry about attachments for the indicators, so I did this with two 75mm pre-drilled brackets ($6 from the hardware store) that I bent to an angle with a hammer and a small bench clamp.

Two weeks ago, when I collected the new registration for my bike, the old rego holder disintegrated in my hands when I tried to remove it. So I ordered a sexier replacement in the form of a tubular rego-holder. This I now attached to the top holes of the brackets, before attaching my freshly drilled licence plate to the lower holes of the bracket:

I still haven't been able to find plugs for the exposed ends of the frame yet, so if anyone has any suggestions they'd be much appreciated.

Next up was replacing the handlebar (which appeared to have been a little bent in a drop):

And although getting the old one off wasn't a big deal, by the time I got round to reattaching all of the switches to the new handlebar (the following day) I'd forgotten the order of most things, so had a hell of a time putting it all back on in the correct order (the lesson to be learnt here, is for me to always take 'before' photos of everything I'm about to mess around with! :eek: ). I also swapped out the old grips for some thicker foam ones which I'm hoping will be a bit more comfortable.

The most remarkable thing about changing the handlebars however, was the fact that it massively improved the bike's rideablility - I can only assume that it must be a result of having dismantled the throttle switch, giving it a little clean and putting it back together properly (i.e. the throttle cables or something were slightly off beforehand) because the throttle response on the bike is MUCH smoother now, much easier to control. The bike is also running much more confidently at idle now (when cold) for some reason. So whatever it was that I've done, I'm glad I did it!

I've also ordered some Rizoma Class Retro mirrors and a Monza-style belly pan, so hopefully they'll arrive soon, but until then here's how she's looking in her newly beautified state:

2. And a few more: :grin:

3. good work!
    just bear in mind, that integrated tail light thing is super illegal
    each indicator needs to be no more than 30cm from the rear of the tail and no closer to each other than like 19cm or something or maybe that was 30
  4. very nice,
    not too many people would take a hack saw to a ducati i dont think.
    have you had a look at rubber black plugs that go on the ends of chairs? i use to work at a school and we had about 8 different sizes and they look like the would fit?
    how is the paint on the frame holding up?
    i always think about doing mine but am unsure about what paint to use...
    i think to finish it off if you could get the rims done the same color as the frame, with the gloss finish that would look really good, just an idea.
  5. The plugs will be available from Clark Rubber or a decent hardware store.

The bike certainly looks better than before the mods, but the two bits of frame sitting there doing nothing irk me, plugged or not. I'd have used them to mount the number plate or lights, or cut them off at the base, welded any holes closed, and filed/sanded it all smooth.

But I don't have a Ducati, so I suppose you don't have to listen to me!
  6. Yeah I looked at that, the ADR rulebook says they need to be 18cm apart to be registered for Australian roads, but then the "modifications" rulebook they have, only states that you have to have indicators front and rear.

I'd be interested to know what the exact rules are.

Thanks I'll look into the chair plugs, I've tried a couple of different ones I've found sitting around, but none have turned out to be the silver slipper yet.

The paint does not seem all that strong, and already some has chipped off where I've cable-tied various cable to it :( I'll probably get it bead blasted and powder coated eventually when I pull the whole thing apart, going to do the wheels, engine covers, rearsets and swingarm as well.

The rims are quite flaky and the alternator cover has some battery corrosion, so they're the biggest eye-sores atm. But it'll all be tackled in time!

There are some kits for the bike that mount over the ends of the bars, but for the sake of a $6 job over a $120 one... I don't mind the look! I think it suits the naked look of the bike well enough.
  7. In short, if a vehicle was required to comply with an ADR when it was new, it must continue to comply with that ADR or later equivalent throughout its life. So your tail light/indicator/mudguard arrangement is (almost certainly) not legal. Doesn't bother me in the slightest and I'd probably do the same (yes, I too would hacksaw a Ducati. I shall shortly be doing so with a BMW) but if you get pinged for it you'll just have to take it on the chin.

It may not have hardened fully yet. It's probably an enamel and, in my experience with typical car shop enamels (Hammerite, Smoothrite, Killrust etc.), they take weeks or even months to cure fully and they're soft as shite until they do. Not much you can do except wait, leave it out in the sun as much as possible and try not to scratch it in the meantime. I'm generally unimpressed with any claim of not needing a primer too, although this would be slightly less of an issue when painting over the existing finish.
  8. Does the new tail light include a light for the number plate?
  9. <Sir Humphery voice> A courageous modification project, Minister :LOL:.
  10. I feared as much :( oh well, we'll see how I go!

Yep, there's a row of white LEDs that shine down on the licence plate. It's all of your rear lights packaged into one.

11. How long did you wait between applying coats? And how long did the paint say to leave? I know this can have a lot to do with how strong the paint ends up.

Looks really good all the same, I'd be very proud. Well done.
  12. And doing thin, light coats too of course. Too thick and it'll adopt an 'orange peel' texture.

Anyhow, the final result looks great! :) Love it.

+1 to the suggestion of Clark Rubber for getting endcaps. You may also be able to find a rubber/plastic parts manufacturer in your area... most cities have one, and they usually make endcaps/plugs/etc galore. :)
  13. Generally 35-45 minutes between coats (dry to the touch) and in light coats. A few people have suggested it can take quite some time for the paint to fully cure, so hopefully it'll harden up over the next fortnight or so. It's still a lot better than it was previously, so I suppose that's something to feel good about.
  14. you hacked off the licence plate extension?
    where are you going to rest your latte now?
    "it's a mark of all italian motorcycles to have a flat spot to rest your coffee"

nice work, though. looking good :)
  15. ...oops, thats why your paint is a bit flakey... Light coats, preferrably with a primer (unless self priming) and only about 20 mins between. Outside of that 20-40 minute window, any you should wait 24hours between coats. This is becouse the paint acts as a thinner when applied to semi dry paint. It is best applied to fresh (within 20-40 mins) or dry paint to adhere properly. I would suggest some light sanding and re-apply a few more coats.
  16. ...looks good by the way. Also, may i suggest getting the end plugs, but having them easy to take out so you can chuck a rack system straight into the subframe? I'm not down with luggage systems, especially on a duc, but theres an idea....
  17. Mine came standard with the factory expresso holder, so no biggie :p

Ah, I didn't know that. I assumed letting it dry a bit would make the paint more stable for the next coat - so much for that idea!

Cheers, I'm thinking of something like that. I've got a pair of hard panniers that I want to be able to mount to the bike for touring, but I need to get some brackets fabricated for them. I've got a basic design for them now, so I just need to find a fabricator.
  18. Well my Monza-style carbon fibre bellypan and Rizoma Class Retro mirrors and bar ends have now arrived so I thought I'd see how they look on the bike:

I still need to pick up a mounting kit for the belly pan, and I'm going to paint it black too, when I get the chance. Still a lovely looking piece of kit and I got it for an absolute bargain:

And here's how it'll look on the bike, I love how these pans compliment the monster's lines so I'm keen to get it properly mounted:

Some good old Italiano Bling:

And mounted on the bike:

I was pretty hesitant about forking out for the Class Retros, because they're so bloody expensive. But I think they're the nicest looking mirrors I've seen for the Monster, and no matter how many other cheaper alternatives I looked at - I knew that if I didn't get them at first, I'd end up getting them anyway (costing me more in the long run) so I gave in ordered them. They're a gorgeous piece of kit, superbly made, very well suited to the bike (in my opinion) and best of all - I can see the road behind me now! And not just my elbows!

Hope you like.
  19. Man that looks trick. . . . . .

The only thing i would change now are those front indicators. . .
    my 2cents
  20. Dem's nice mirrors.

Might I enquire as to where you got them and what you paid?