Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A $6.4m man-made island?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Lazy Libran, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Just what every billionaire needs:

dh_island-20120626072958781483-420x0.

An Austrian firm has come up what it hopes is the next big thing for the mega-rich: a man-made, floating "island" with a list price of 5.2 million euros ($6.4 million), the company's founder said.

Measuring 20 by 37 metres, the "Orsos Island" has no engine but can be anchored anywhere its owners choose and then towed to another location the other side of the world if they so wish, Hungarian-born Gabor Orsos said.

"The interest has been massive from all over the world, from Australia, China, the United States. We have already had the first pre-orders and we have some potential buyers coming from Australia next week," the entrepreneur said.

Advertisement: Story continues below The island is environmentally friendly and fully self-sufficient, with solar panels and wind generators providing power. It can sleep 12 people plus crew and offers 1000 square metres of living space.

The only problem is that no "islands" have been produced yet and that once manufacturing starts it will initially be in land-locked Slovakia.

But Orsos expects the first finished products to be ready in 18 months' to two years' time, and for the "islands" to be transported down the Danube river into the Black Sea - and then to wherever the customer wants.

Why the F*** can't you just get a Yacht?? :D

The Age link HERE

2. The Pirates are going to love looting these

3. So $6.4million for a house boat without a motor.

4. Was thinking the same thing...wtf?

For that price, I'd want a motor in there and move it wherever I want. Probably will cost an extra $200K to get a big enough motor fitted, but that's pocket change if you have enough to buy that!

5. EXACTLY my thoughts. For $5 Million - you can get an awesome boat/yacht & go where ever you want.

6. That was my first thought.

But then I remembered reading a piece about how many yachts are owned purely as a prestige thing and rarely if ever leave the mooring.

If you want a prestige piece to just hang out on and relax/show off
    Then a yacht wastes a bunch of money on engines and navigation equipment you don't plan on using.

This gives you an expensive toy that's actually more practical for entertaining
    and is better 'value' for money

Not to mention that if you're rich enough it's not really a question of why not get a yacht instead and more one of... why not get both?

7. Wonder how much an actual island is? Probably less than that.

8. One morning you will wake up, and have a thousand sea birds taking over your island covering it in shyt.

9. they could aways just erect a big arse mast and attach a sail of some kind. :)

10. True...probably buy the "Island" and then buy a yacht just as big and expensive to get to it...hmmm...tow yacht and island trailer...

11. I think the last time I heard about an actual island being for sale, it was something like $13 mill. It wasn't very big but it was awesome - your own natural water filtration system, beautiful view to the sea, awesome forest, and yeah. Was a few years back now, about 7 or 8.

12. I read a few years that Mel Gibson bought one somewhere in Fiji for a cool $20 Million (after making a whopping $500 Million from 'The Passion of the Christ').

13. rather one of these
    jetovator-10.

14. Seems like a waste of money, as has been said you can get an awesome yacht for that amount.

if anyone actually buys one, it'll be interesting to see where they put it..
    you'd still need a boat or helicopter to get to land...

15. I'd wager they just get moored close to shore anyway, more like a private seaside apartment. Like OP said, with pirates love of yachts, you'd be a fool to move this thing anywhere remotely...remote? Can't imagine police response times will be very good when you're floating in the middle of the ocean haha