Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

webBikeWorld A 360° Motorcycle Dash Cam Comparison

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Sep 16, 2015.

1. #1 NetriderBot, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
    I’ve been closely following the action camera reviews and the Bluetooth intercom reviews for some time.

The do-it-all Sena 10C sure grabbed my attention, as did the INNOVV C3 action cam and the Mobius action cam.

I went "all in" and I learned a few things and thought it might be worth sharing one person's opinion.

The following addresses all three devices, as well as RAM and Leader camera mounts and the CyberLink video editing software.

My focus here is on my quest for a motorcycle dash cam setup.

Based on various blog posts and product comments around the web, it appears I’m not the only motorcycle rider seeking dash cams.

First, I should point out that comparing the INNOVV and Mobius to the Sena 10C is a bit like comparing apples and oranges to prime filet mignon.

The first two are nice video cameras and appear to be built with similar technology.

The third is an impressive combination of camera, Bluetooth intercom headset and FM radio, all in a single small package.

Device prices are reflective of this difference, but if you subtract the price of good Bluetooth headset from the price of the Sena 10C, then the cost of the 10C’s camera begins to approach that of the other two.

I don’t want to repeat information already available in the webBikeWorld reviews of these products, but I should say that all three cameras are highly configurable action cameras. I have them configured - as best I can - as dash cams.

So, what do I mean by “motorcycle dash cam”?

My dream setup is a total of three cameras, one centered and facing forward and one on each side of the bike, to provide a simultaneous side and rear view.

In a perfect world, the cameras would be weather resistant and permanently mounted to (and powered by) the motorcycle.

They would start and stop automatically with the ignition key and support continuous loop recording for total no-touch operation -- except, of course, when I wanted to extract recorded video.

A wide angle lens is a big plus.

I’m not trying to film a Hollywood movie, but at least reasonable video quality goes without saying.

It turns out that I can’t have it all, but I can get pretty close.

The table above summarizes how each camera stacks up against my dash cam requirements.

None of the shortcomings are showstoppers. Most are due to the state of the technology and I can’t blame the manufacturers for that.

more »