Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A 250 til I have the $$$ for a 650? Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by Ben ZfullerSchitt, Oct 11, 2012.

1. So the deal is I'm only working part time because with my wife studying and us having two children in daycare, we are actually better off financially than if I was working full time. Sounds messed up, but thats Australia's social security system for ya. Can't beat 'em, might as well join 'em. So spare cash is not exactly flowing out our ears. Because Ive only just done q-ride and got my RE's very recently, a mate said maybe an 8 grand xvs isnt the best bike to start on anyway, due to the real possibility of me banging it up at some point while I'm honing my skills. Now there are LOADs of used Yamaha and Suzuki 250's for sale at around 3 - 4 thousand, but I did q-ride on a 450 and was still looking for one more gear at the top. (not sure if its relevant but I'm 6'1 and 100kg give or take). But at the end of the day a 250 would nonetheless be a bike to continue learning on and riding until I'm back to working full time (in 2015!!!) But anyway, I thought I'd throw the question out there:
    Do I save up say 3 grand and get a run-in 250 to knock about on, or do I put that 3 grand in the bank and wait until I can afford the xvs 650? Which would mean very little riding in the meantime, but a kick arse cruiser at the end of it...

Just interested to know what y'all reckon. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. It's all up to you and your desires and temperament. Some ideas:

If it was me and there was a decent wait and I wanted to spend as little as possible in the short to medium term, then I'd spend $2-2.5K on a 250 and just get on the road, accepting the limits of the bike. Riding any bike is better than riding no bike.

Thing is, though, $4k can get you a quite decent larger LAMS bike, so for the money you mention you could easily go half way between your options, and buy the dream bike later on. I take it you're in QLD? Here's some suggestions

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1991-Yam...otorcycles&hash=item232269c779#ht_1652wt_1271

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1988-HON...torcycles&hash=item35c07df1a9#ht_14730wt_1037

Ride them for a few years then buy a properly big cruiser when the money is flowing again. However:

Ultimately, if it was me, I'd save a little bit more, and wait for a used XVS 650 to come along for $5k. I mean, in the next few months. More than that and I say just get on a damn bike, whatever it is, and ride.

3. That's what I did, started with a cheap bike, saved some more money, sold the old bike, bought a nicer bike.

4. If money really is tight, and you want something totally cool and you like the cruiser/custom look, the best option of all (everybody I know hates the idea, I love it, and it's my back up if I'm ever in the situation) is to get a $1.5-2k 600/650cc, dirt or dualsport bike, strip it back, and chopperise it with cheapo bits off ebay - big Virago handlebars, a tall sissy bar, small headlight, mini speedo, lowered rear, homemade seat, freakin trippin wild, and all that.

Here's a nice example http://www.justauto.com.au/justbikes/know/news/1ae242ef-b272-4883-a329-3e200017651d (you can do a poor-man's version, of course)

5. This post is freakin annoying.

Please do not provide your personal financial situation here on this forum.

Some of us work 10-12 hours a day full time and pay $hitloads of income tax to the govt to not have your apparent cashflow problems.

And on top of that some of us even study part time 2 nites a week whilst holding down aforementioned full time job.

Not sure how you can be better off financially working part time???? I can only presume that somewhere others income taxes are funding this lifestyle choice?

6. Might be a case of 'no mr centrelink man, he doesn't live here!' to rort the system a bit? If thats the case...well, I'll leave my opinions in my brain...don't want to get banhammered :p

On topic, buy what you can afford and get something else in the future. Just find a bike that has a good resale history, don't drop it, don't cane the shyt out of it and make sure you keep service books.

Thats about it from me..

7. Man, I totally hear your point, but I can assure you I'm not a centrelink freeloader. Up til now I've always worked fulltime, never been on the dole, always paid my taxes. And even now we are doing nothing whatsoever to mislead or rort the system. When I say we are financially better off, its purely because of the reduced cost of daycare we pay because we are currently a one income family, and a low income it is on a part time bus driver's wage! My wife is studying to be a widwife at uni, and she has to do 2 or 3 eight hours shifts a week at the hospital as part of her course. Which to some degree I guess you could say is subsidised, but ultimately she's not getting paid for it. She is still not home from a graveyard shift now. But anway, the point is, we are both workers, man. But things as they are right now, the minute I go back to working full time (more than 30 hours)and earning over a certain amount (more than about 600 a week I think), we start paying an arm and a leg for daycare again and would have no more money at the end of the fortnight than what we have now. In fact, I think we figured out we'd have around 10 grand LESS a year. And thats why I say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Trust me, I'd rather be working fulltime and earning decent money, but for now, it would amount to nothing. But I DO concede that talking about my financial status might be a little awkward - it was just to illustrate my dilemma.

8. It was always a favourite trick to call up Stan zrmanik on a Thursday or whenever and thank him for his tax money.

9. I have ridden my 250 for 5 years. 2 years of casual and 3 years of daily commuting...which I still do today. If you can get over the speed limitations of a 250, then keep it and save as much as you can to upgrade later on (or use funds some where else).

10. Settle down princess.
    The guy was asking bike advice, he may have been offering too much information on his personal finance situation, but really there's no reason to be a petulant douchebag about it.
    If you have nothing to add to the conversation at hand, piss off.

On topic, you should get something right now, and then keep saving. Buy something cheap. It will be unlikely to drop any value. Once you have saved some more, sell the 250, add the saved funds, et voila! Much less downtime, and overall it should be about the same time to step into something with a few more cubes.

• Like Like x 3
  11. With respect, this is daft. Welfare is a reality that won't go away by pretending it's not there.

My parents worked out that what one of them pays in tax is roughly what I used to get per year on the allowance - so that they pretty much give their tax to me.

12. At 100Kgs and over 6 foot tall, to use an old quote from this forum - you'll look like an elephant humping a beach ball on a 250. Go for a bigger bike.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm the wrong side of 100 and am 6' and riding my Mrs' Virago 250 is quite comical

You'd fit better on a Hyosung Aquila 250 and they're cheap - $3k will get you one

14. Better get a damn reliable bike. If $3000 will take you a while to save up, then a $500 repair bill could really hurt.

15. Or

get one you can work on yourself. A cheap beater til you can afford to upgrade is better than no wheels. If you have rugrats there is nothing nicer than getting them to hand you the spanners - girls or boys. Think of it as bonding time.

16. I started out on a $2500 GN250 because at the time it was all I could afford being a single income family at the time. I then traded up to a GR650, if you can call a GR650 a trade up, for the princely sum of the GN plus $100. That GR650 lasted me close to 5 years before it died, by which time we had become a 2 income family.

Why don't you look at an older DR650/KLR650/Dominator etc.

Oh and Voz, pull your head in, you don't know how much day car in his area is. I know a few people who, after the cost of day care, transport etc are be better off not working full time. Other times the only job people can find is part time or even casual.

17. i swapped one of my cars ( 1800 dollar civic ) for a 2006 Kawasaki GPX 250 , I havent had the chance to ride it on the road yet because i dont have a licence till the 30th. Im told they are very reliable bikes and great to learn on . Even though i have 700-800 dollars to pay for Tune, Service, Chain/Sprockets and Rear Tyre then around another 700 for rego :( Money Pool

18. The Hyosung 650 cruisers are big physically for a tall rider and they have enough grunt to move you along better than the 250s do. They have a less than stellar reputation and their prices are lower. Might be worth considering (esp. the later fuel injected ones) if that fits your budget. I bought a Honda VT400 and I'm a similar size and weight to you, I sold it after three weeks, it just didn't have any reserve power on the highway, hills, headwinds, etc and it went under 100 km/h too easily.