Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'99 Yamaha Zeal, engine rebuild for around $1k?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Portunio, Apr 26, 2008.

1. I'm looking at buying a '99 Yamaha zeal, it needs a re-bore, new pistons and rings, and new cam chains, plus the usual bearings and gaskets. I'm handy enough with a spanner to do the work myself, but the question is would I be able to get the re-bore done and buy the rest of the parts I mentioned for around the $1000 mark? Or am I dreaming?

2. kenoath you can do it under 1k. i'd be surprised if it blew out beyond $600 with you doing the labour :?
  3. I'm really talented with pulling things apart

Getting it all back together however is another story
  4. i reckon if you just took the barrels in and asked the spanners to do a rebore you wouldnt be charged more than an hours worth of labour.
    in my experiance after market bearings and gaskets are alot cheaper, but there is a greater "liklihood" of you being sold the wrong parts. when i say this i mean the dickhead behind the parts desk doesnt reference the catalogue properly.
  5. :shock: