Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

98 RMX 250 electrical problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by 98RMX250, Mar 6, 2010.

  1. Hi everyone, new here and looking for some advice. I have a 98 RMX 250 road legal 2 stroke dirt bike. When i bought it, all the road gear and lighting had been removed. I've since bought a new speedo, instrument lights, left hand switch block and some harnesses etc so that I can get a headlight and the neutral/high beam/low beam working. The bike runs fine, but i have no power to any of the lighting on the bike. I have attached a link to a wiring diagram for my bike.



    http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/RMXR/RMXWiringDiagram.jpg

    The only thing missing on my bike is the "condenser" which is at the bottom of the wiring diagram. I have tested the output from the regulator/rectifier and i have good current. When i put a test light across the 2 wires for the condenser, the test lights glows but still no instrument lights etc. Is my problem that the condenser is not fitted? What is the purpose of the condenser in this circuit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
     
     Top
  2. tested globes? might sound silly but i have seen it done before. Other than that, where did you get the wiring harness from? I might of thought of running a separate system for the indicators/lights etc.
     
     Top
  3. Its all brand new genuine suzuki parts (cost a mint). I can't seem to find out much about the condenser and what it does. Most condensers are used in points style magneto ignitions on bikes, but the RMX has a seperate lighting circuit driven off another winding in the magneto. All I can seem to find is that the capacitor helps smooth out the output as it can be quite rough at low revs. The capacitor is a 180 dollar part. I don't understand why jumping across the capacitor harness will kill the motor if running, and putting a test lamp across it will make the test lamp glow, i even tried putting a 12v car distrbutor condenser across it but this didn't do anything. Any ideas?
     
     Top
  4. Well i found out the headlight relay was dodgy. I've been looking over the schematic over and over again to figure out what that capacitor does, from what I can tell, when the ignition circuit is live, it energises the headlight relay which gives power to all the instrument lights and lighting etc. I pulled the relay out and made a jumper so the circuit is always bridged, and now i have power to instrument lights, headlight etc. Still no idea what that capacitor does though?
     
     Top